Help needed with my staffie pup & cats

+4
flame
stiofan
Kathy
louloukk
8 posters

Go down

Help needed with my staffie pup & cats Empty Help needed with my staffie pup & cats

Post by louloukk Sun Jan 08 2012, 11:36

Hi i would like some advise about my puppy & cats my pup Lola is fine with the cats i think she just wants to play but the cats dont want to & wont defend themselfs! She chase's them, Trys to play fight with them biting them & she also grabs them by the skin/fur & pulls them along as if they were toys! How do i stop her doing this & just leave the cats alone? Sometime when i tell her to leave she does but most of the time she does not listen! Sad
louloukk
louloukk
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie - Lola - Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 11 years - 15 months - 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Female - Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Help needed with my staffie pup & cats Empty Re: Help needed with my staffie pup & cats

Post by louloukk Sun Jan 08 2012, 13:02

Anyone? Smile
louloukk
louloukk

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Help needed with my staffie pup & cats Empty Re: Help needed with my staffie pup & cats

Post by Kathy Sun Jan 08 2012, 13:10

Sorry I've never had cats so wouldn't really know.

Sounds like puppy may be trying to mother the cats by holding them by the scruff of the neck and carrying them around like that, this is only a guess.

Could you keep them seperated?

Sorry not much help
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by louloukk Sun Jan 08 2012, 13:14

Its ok thanks for replying, No they cant be seperated as the cats have the run of the house Lola only has downstairs so when the cats are upstairs they are ok but as soon as the come downstairs thats its Lola wont leave them alone or when they are outside & i let Lola out for toliet its the same! The grabbing on to them she drags them around so i gotta rush out & get her off she thinks them more of a toy
louloukk
louloukk

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 13:25

Hmmmmm, interesting. You must have REALLY placid cats Surprised My cat always let's RoXy know that he does'nt want to play and she stays a safe distance. My cat even chases her down the hallway, biffing as he goes.......so she knows to keep a safe distance.

How old is Lola?

Sorry, not much help. I'm sure somebody will come along with some suggestions or advice soon.

P.S - My brothers dogs are named Charlie and Lola too Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by louloukk Sun Jan 08 2012, 13:30

Yea they dont hiss or anything! Silly things lol Lola is 6 & half months old.
Big Grin How cool great names Smile
louloukk
louloukk

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Sun Jan 08 2012, 13:34

I have ten cats and three dogs. When my two staffys were pups they were never allowed to chase the cats, i found that my pups were so sensitive to being told off that they very quickly stopped annoying the cats. You can keep the pup on a long line and use it to stop any chasing outside. If your pup is grabbing the cats then you are letting it have to much chance to misbehave, try a stair gate to stop it following the cats or use a crate to get it used to the cats being there. You should be really firm as you can't really allow it to play with them like toys, train the pup using food, praise etc as you do with anything it needs to learn. A relative had to have her cat euthanised after it was landed on , and lost the use of it's back legs. by its best pal, a boxer.
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help needed with my staffie pup & cats Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by louloukk Sun Jan 08 2012, 13:37

Wow 10cats Smile my pup doesnt worry about being told off! I will use her training lead when she is outside & i have a stair gate in the kitchen which she sometimes goes but so do the cats Straight Face
louloukk
louloukk

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Sun Jan 08 2012, 14:02

My cats were a bit more assertive lol so that helped .What's she like with other commands? my two learnt "leave" quickly because it was said so often Smile and they always have to sit and leave food before being told to "take it" start making her earn everything by good behaviour?.My two are often found sitting on the floor because a cat has taken their bed or stuck half way up the stairs because Seska the ancient cat refuses to move. But she could easily hurt them as she gets bigger so it is serious.
stiofan
stiofan

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by louloukk Sun Jan 08 2012, 14:10

She is good with commands we go to puppy training weekly but will only listen when she feels like it when i tell her to leave! I really wish my cats would hiss at her or something cause it would help & she would then proberly leave them alone !
louloukk
louloukk

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Sun Jan 08 2012, 14:13

Yep it is strange they don't retaliate , pity i couldn't send Seska down to sort her out Wink
stiofan
stiofan

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Sun Jan 08 2012, 14:35

Laughing Laughing i did have two cats called Charlie and Lola, girl and boy.. lol.. Charlie went missing in August and we still have Lola.. Lola doesnt allow River anywhere near her and has taken up residence in my sons bedroom.. Lola has her boundaries and if River crosses them then she sure knows about it. sorry i cant be more help. i will say thou, Lola has got better with River slightly. Some people have mentioned on here that you train train dogs to leave other animals alone. might be worth searching on youtube or something??? sorry i cant be more help Smile and sorry if this has been said before i have not read all the posts Rolling Eyes
flame
flame

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 15:00

Try having a spray bottle with plain water in it handy. Everytime your dog makes a move on the cats you give him a squirt. I use this for Tyson and so far it works a treat. I only use this method for the cats.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Sun Jan 08 2012, 19:14

Sorry I don't have cats so can't offer any advice .... they sound so placid though bless them ... Hope it gets sorted soon Smile

Irene

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 10:47

LOL, I would love Dita (my cat) and Vlad to get along, but she hates him! He always tries to play with her, but she just hisses and runs and hides. Sorry I can't help you more! Your cats sound far more relaxed than mine! Dita would have scratched Vlad's face off in the same situation. I'm hoping one day they will get along... I hope...

Back to top Go down

Post by louloukk Tue Jan 10 2012, 09:15

I wish she would just leave them alone... Or at least not see them as toys its such hard work otherwise Sad
louloukk
louloukk

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rascal-girl Thu Jan 19 2012, 07:09

I would definitely nip this in the bud. Rascal at ten months still chases one of our cats however she knows we mean business when we tell her "no" and she backs off straight away. She is never allowed to play with them, chase them or have anything to do with them. Stiofan, we have an ancient cat too who sounds a lot like your Seska. Rascal won't come through the door if the Ancient Lady is in the doorway and she gives her a really wide berth! So funny to watch, because Ancient Lady is getting frail and has a bit of arthritis so would be no match at all for a big bouncy staffy pup! Don't know why she doesn't respect our younger cat. It's an ongoing battle *sigh*
rascal-girl
rascal-girl
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rascal
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Thu Jan 19 2012, 22:42

Like the others I am amazed how placid your cats are Big Grin - my dog and cat do play but its always on the cats terms as Frank knows the cat has "weapons" and isn't afraid to use them Laughing

As stated before nip this in the bud now - Pretend for a moment that Lola is dragging around an infant in this fashion - how would you react? Its just a guess but my guess is you would be a tad more stern and reactive Surprised

Keep that image in your mind next time she treats the cats like this and be quite stern with her - make some loud distracting noises- to let her know you absolutely do not approve of this and will not tolerate it - if you catch her off guard with your reaction call her to you and praise her or treat her - she should hopefully get the message in time.

Pado

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by louloukk Fri Jan 20 2012, 13:43

Wish my cats would stick up for them selfs Laughing bless them they are all so lovely.. Just worries me if they are like that with my pup what if it was another dog & i wasnt there id hate to think Sad She is getting better & never allow her to drag them if i see it i stop it straight away! She doesnt seem to mind me being firm with her it doest fase her.. Straight Face
louloukk
louloukk

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Help needed with my staffie pup & cats Empty chasing cats no more

Post by chrissy Tue Jan 24 2012, 10:31

louloukk wrote:Anyone? Smile
when i first got my puppy she did chase my cats, however 3 cats hissing at a lil pup she learned where her place was. i was so protective of the cats, but my husband told me that our pup will learn her place and pecking order. she got scratched once or twice and then she knew she couldnt defeat the cats. no matter what breed dog you have Cats rule the house hold. how i prevented her from chasing the cats... i used a spray bottle with water, squirted her a few times when she chased and after that i just had to pick up the squirt bottle without squirting. let me know how it goes.
chrissy
chrissy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Talulah (french bulldog, future sister of a staffy)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down