:-( Our staffie went for us...help needed.

5 posters

Go down

:-( Our staffie went for us...help needed. Empty :-( Our staffie went for us...help needed.

Post by Fieldy1990 Fri Aug 10 2012, 09:21

Hi All,

Its pains to to write this message but I just dont know what else or where else to go. We have an 8 month old Staffordshire Bull Terrier Puppy- Brian.

Last night we carried out his normal routine, fetched him in from the garden and he went in his crate, he took a treat from both me and my partner, however as I went to lock the crate he went for me, and then my partner tried and he went for him too. We had done nothing different.

I was in tears as this had really scared me so we phoned the vets and they told us to phone the RSPCA who then passed us back to the vets. We ended up going to the vets to get an oral sedation to calm him down. when we got home he was still like it but we put the tablets in some meat and he took them.

Tonight we have the vets and we have been told to speak to a behavourist (although we have spoken to some before and they have said that there is nothing we can do.) I'm aty my wits end. I dont even know how we are going to get him out of his crate or get him to the vets. We have more sedation tablets but I dont know how much more sedated him could be?

I've decided that I cant cope with him anymore, i've never been so scared. We are in Birmingham.

Thank you for your help in advance. :-)
Fieldy1990
Fieldy1990
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Brian
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

:-( Our staffie went for us...help needed. Empty Re: :-( Our staffie went for us...help needed.

Post by Keith Fri Aug 10 2012, 09:36

First of all, please don't give up on him. There's a reason for his behaviour and it can be ironed out.

In what way did he go for you - was it just a few snaps, some growling, some barks?

Has he hurt himself in some way? Pulled a toe nail? Has he been ill?

Do you normally lock him in the crate? Was it earlier to his crate than normal?

Had he been out in the sun all day? Is he dehydrated? Any loud noises yesterday? Did he get a fright from anything?

With a little help, I'm sure you'll cope with him just fine.

How does he normally behave?

Putting him onto sedatives seems a bit heavy. Maybe discuss Zylkene with your vet which is a natural calmative derived from casein (protein).

What happens if you approach the crate now? What's your state of mind? Dogs feel tension and nerves from handlers.
Keith
Keith
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

:-( Our staffie went for us...help needed. Empty Re: :-( Our staffie went for us...help needed.

Post by Fieldy1990 Fri Aug 10 2012, 09:43

Hiya,

He growls nastily and leaps forward really snappy.

As far as we are aware he hasnt hurt himself but thats what the consultation is for tonight.

He's always fine in his crate, he always goes in there, he actually loves going in.

He'd been out in the garden for about an hour playing and chilling out which is what he does every single day! No loud noises as far as we are aware. We live in a cul de sac.

If we approach his crate now he still growls as though he is getting ready to go for us. I have been really brave this morning and said he wouldnt bother me, but that did scare me. We plan to have children in a few years and I cant trust a dog with problems.

I phoned the vets last week and they told me there wasnt a behavourist they could recommend but when we went in last night they told us straight away!
Fieldy1990
Fieldy1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10 2012, 09:47

How much exercise and training is he getting each day and what are you feeding him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Fri Aug 10 2012, 09:55

Ok, that's helpful.
What do his eyes look like when you approach? Is the white of his eye showing more than usual? Have a quick search online for pictures of whale eye in dogs - does he compare?
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Fieldy1990 Fri Aug 10 2012, 09:58

We are feeding him bakers puppy & he gets a big walk at night. He isnt keen on going for walks, never has been, he goes for about 15 minutes then lies down!!!

He's been having puppy dog eyes all morning looks completley normal but then you approach and his ears change and his nose goes.
Fieldy1990
Fieldy1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10 2012, 10:09

Bakers isn't the best food to be honest and could be part of the problem. Here is a list of recommended dry foods.

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

They are an extremely high energy breed and if not exercised properly they will act up out of stress or boredom. He should be getting at least 2 walks per day of 45 minutes each. He also needs 2 or 3 training sessions per day of about 10 minutes each focused on basic commands and progressing from there.

He can also pick up on any nervousness or fear you may be having and become confused which can cause him to act out. He is simply going through the teenage phase where he will push his boundaries. Have patience and be consistant in training and you will have a loyal and lifelong companion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fieldy1990 Fri Aug 10 2012, 10:19

We tried him on Harringtons, but he didnt like it, he'd throw it all around the room!!

He's been brilliant with commands etc, sitting and leaving and going in his bed when told. Even going around in circles each way. That is one thing I can praise him for.

Thank you for your help. I'm just concerned about how to get him out of his crate later on.
Fieldy1990
Fieldy1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantel Fri Aug 10 2012, 10:21

I agree with jstaff. I can certainly understand that after it happens once that you will be nervous or scared. You must just remember that dogs can pick up on that negative energy, and if you approach in a state of fear etc, that can also prompt him to act in a negative way.
I'm not sure I totally agree with sedation, or at least not on a regular basis. Believe me, I truly know where you're coming from, but it is something that needs to be worked on, and pills is not the way to go.

Please keep us updated, and let us know what the vet says.
Chantel
Chantel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10 2012, 10:24

Hi
Sorry to hear your boys started being norty, but after reading up on your past post it looks like a problem thats been slowly on coming and has finally reached a head.
You boy from what i have read has been showing signs of dominance since 5/6 mths old.
His still young enough to learn and understand his place in your family unit, but i feel your going to need help with this either from a behaviorist or if a more experienced stafford owner on here lives close enough they could help.
But any help you do seek or get its important you stick to the advise given, one slip up and he'll be back to square one instantly.

As for trying to get him out of the cage for his vet trip to get him checked over, try sitting on the floor next to his cage, dont talk to him just sit there. If he growls or plays up just ignore him. If and when he shuts up having one of his hissy fits cause your next to his cage offer him a juicy treat, but only offer it if his not growling. Keep doing this till you can sit by his cage and his happy for you to do so. He'll soon suss growling gets no response from you or a treat but good behaviour does.
Once you feel his calm enough and has become treat focused open the cage and LET HIM come out, dont reach in and grab him. Once out and his calm and being good offer another treat and show him his lead if its time for his vet appointment so he knows his going walkies, once leads on offer another treat.
His a good dog, his just lost his way abit and as he feels you are not taking the alpha position he feels he has too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fieldy1990 Fri Aug 10 2012, 10:37

Thank you so so much for your advice everyone. I cant thank you enough. Thats great idea Denise, thank you.

I dont agree with sedation either, but I am also desperate to get him to the vets. I'm on tablets for the rest of my life so i agree nobody person or pet should be put on them.

Thank you
:-)
Fieldy1990
Fieldy1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10 2012, 10:44

I can only echo what everybody else has said, and wish you well with his training etc.

Just bear in mind that no dog, especially puppies, will suddenly turn nasty! There is always a reason, whether it be illness/pain or a build up of dominance. Either way, it can be nipped in the bud with veterinary care/good training.

P.S. Denise has had a lot of experience with staffords so she's well worth listening to!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fieldy1990 Fri Aug 10 2012, 11:02

Denise are you in the UK? I just showed my fiance what you said and he thinks you amazing! (well we both do!) I dont want to trouble you but do you have an email address at all if so could you email me please? fieldlucy@aol.co.uk

Thank you so much xx
Fieldy1990
Fieldy1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10 2012, 11:18

Fieldy1990 wrote:Denise are you in the UK? I just showed my fiance what you said and he thinks you amazing! (well we both do!) I dont want to trouble you but do you have an email address at all if so could you email me please? fieldlucy@aol.co.uk

Thank you so much xx

This is Denise's website - I'm sure there's a contact link on there.

http://www.dardanians.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10 2012, 11:19

Me amazing thats the 1st time i've been called that lol .... thankyou Big Grin

Yep i'm in the UK ... South East London.

I've got 2 addys i'll post both of them for you.

denise@dardanians.com

or

dardanianssbt@msn.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fieldy1990 Fri Aug 10 2012, 12:19

honestly, what you said makes perfect sense!!!

Thank you very much, you'll receive an email from me this afternoon!
Fieldy1990
Fieldy1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Sat Aug 11 2012, 19:23

Just wanted to say good luck and keep us posted...you are in good hands with some of the experienced Staffy people here...
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11 2012, 19:45

agree with all the comments an 8 month old staff is just pushing his luck, he is not going to attack you and you shouldn't show any negative feelings as he can sense this , no way I can offer you the advice or experience of Denise, only tell you to pay heed to it. Good luck and please keep us updated Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11 2012, 21:05

When my boy was exactly 8 months old, I had a similar experience with him. I had told him for something, can't remember what and sent him to his crate (yes I know, not a good idea but I was mad and wanted him out of the room) anyways, I followed him out to shut the crate door and he was in there already facing me. As I reached out to shut the door, his ears flattened and he growled at me, I firmly said 'enough!' and he started snarling, so I literally pushed into his crate, got pretty close and said loudly and very firmly in a deep voice 'that's enough!'. He immediately laid down and tried to lick my chin. Now I'm not advising you to do the same, in case your dog bites you, but Charlie needed to know (as does yours by the sounds of it) that I was in charge and would not tolerate that sort of behaviour. He has never once since then challenged anyone, and he has an amazing temperament. At that age. they push it, Charlie was trying to be dominant over me as your pup is doing to you. Once he realises that won't be tolerated, hopefully he won't try it again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11 2012, 21:59

When you crate do you just lock him in for the rest of the night? Tbh if i was being kept crated all the time i would go a bit mad too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Tue Aug 14 2012, 12:58

shontelle wrote:When my boy was exactly 8 months old, I had a similar experience with him. I had told him for something, can't remember what and sent him to his crate (yes I know, not a good idea but I was mad and wanted him out of the room) anyways, I followed him out to shut the crate door and he was in there already facing me. As I reached out to shut the door, his ears flattened and he growled at me, I firmly said 'enough!' and he started snarling, so I literally pushed into his crate, got pretty close and said loudly and very firmly in a deep voice 'that's enough!'. He immediately laid down and tried to lick my chin. Now I'm not advising you to do the same, in case your dog bites you, but Charlie needed to know (as does yours by the sounds of it) that I was in charge and would not tolerate that sort of behaviour. He has never once since then challenged anyone, and he has an amazing temperament. At that age. they push it, Charlie was trying to be dominant over me as your pup is doing to you. Once he realises that won't be tolerated, hopefully he won't try it again.

my thoughts exactly. now and then Jellybean will stand right in my face and bark at me, and when she was a few months younger she would growl, snap, fly bite, etc. I did what the fine people here have told you (what they told me then), and it's helped tremendously. It scared me a bit too, but she was trying her bark on a bit and seeing what she could get away with. I didn't let her get away with anything and tried training her into the quiet Denise told you about, and otherwise stood my ground back at her because showing anything less than confidence will tell her she's got your number. Firm tones, a bit more attention on training, showing you're the boss... all helpful things. Keep in mind ANY dog could act this way as a puppy and probably will. Not sure if this is the case, but if you're more sensitive to this because he's a staffie, please don't be. Could happen with any puppy. Granted, a mini-something's bite is less damaging than a bigger puppy's, but the psychology is still the same. You'll win this one, please don't give up!!

hope you get him to the vet soon to find out what's up.
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
:-( Our staffie went for us...help needed. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 14 2012, 13:04

How are things going now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15 2012, 08:49

Yes, i have to agree with Denise, also, just like to add, allways praise good behaviour, try and sound happy whilst doing it. I love his name Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down