Advice needed...

4 posters

Go down

Advice needed... Empty Advice needed...

Post by kylie_fallon Fri Dec 30 2011, 21:55

Hi everyone,

We just recently in the last month have become owners of a 13month old American/English staffy and he is awesome! Great with the kids,loyal, obedient etc. We saved him from a family that didnt treat him well and use to beat him up etc. The only problem we have is he doesnt like turning wheels - he will chase the kids bikes and scooters to bite the wheels and pops them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can stop him from biting the wheels of the kids bikes?

kylie_fallon
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Chucky
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice needed... Empty Re: Advice needed...

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 21:58

keep him on a lead and get the kids to ride by. put the dog in the sit position when he goes for the wheels gently pull back on the lead and firmly say NO and put back in sit. if he iognores the bikes or just doesnt move towards them then lots of praise witha good boy and a treat. training is repetative so just keep at it. am sure someone else may have other suggestions but anything is worth a try good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by kylie_fallon Fri Dec 30 2011, 22:08

Thank you for the tip... will try putting him on the lead... I have tried pulling him back and telling him to sit, he will sit when I tell him to while I am holding onto his collar and firmly telling him NO.. praised him, given treats but he is so determined to get the bike wheels. Will have to keep on trying. I am still new to the whole training a dog thing... haha.

kylie_fallon

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Dec 30 2011, 22:13

Agree with above. Basic training and getting him to adjust to his new enviroment.

He'll settle in time Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by kylie_fallon Fri Dec 30 2011, 22:21

Thanks Janey. Im sure he will get the hang of it real soon he is a very smart dog.

kylie_fallon

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 23:32

I agree with Julie. It make take some time but if you do it every day he will learn. We've had Suki almost a year and vaccuming the house is still an adventure Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31 2011, 00:17

cant add anything to what has already been said
but i must say well done on the forever home good on ya

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sat Dec 31 2011, 09:11

We had a sheepdog who would herd any moving vehicle, bikes, cars, vans, scooters anything really. We tried everything with him but the thing that worked was as Julie mentioned. We would walk him along the road on a lead. If a car approached and he attempted to chase (we watched his body languauge to stop him before he started) we would make him sit, back to the traffic and make him watch me whilst the car past. Treats really helped us work on the watch command first then we put this into practice out on the walk. Once the car passed we praised him for watching us and gave him a treat. Those cars he managed to walk past and ignore we didn't praise him as this excited him we just ignored it. He soon got the hang of it.

Welcome to the forum and well done on rescuing!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31 2011, 11:51

Oh, boy, sheepdogs! My 2nd Border Collie was a pain in the a*se for chasing cars. She never went in the road, but would race alongside the car on the pavement/grass verge. Used to terrify me and the drivers.

We eventually got her out of it by having her on a long lead, and every time she kicked off we'd tell her "Come!" and real her in!

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sat Dec 31 2011, 12:12

My boy was really bad. He was a welsh sheepdog so shouldn't really have been kept as a pet his herding instinct was much stronger than that of a border collie. He injured himself as a pup when he jumped our fence and impaled himself on barb wire trying to get to the cars. He did eventually calm down as he aged but he could never be left off lead near cars or a road. It was a good job we lived on the road to a country park witha huge forest, 7 miles of beach and the country park to walk on so he rarely had to be kept on lead. Just the 2min walk to the forest entrance, once he was in the forest he would wait when told off lead to allow bikes to go past. Even at a distance but near a road he was a real struggle to walk at times. Miss him dearly though! Sad
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Sat Dec 31 2011, 17:08

Does he do the same with cars and motorbikes tyres, did the people before who had him hang tyres off a rope for him to play with, my friends staff does the same when he sees tyres, hes always had one hanging in the back yard on a rope since a pup...
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31 2011, 17:39

my brothers border collie would herd the kids was so funny watching him try getting them they ran in all directions and he would chase them when they were all in one place he looked bored cos he had nothing to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31 2011, 17:41

jstaff wrote:We've had Suki almost a year and vaccuming the house is still an adventure Laughing

lemmy runs off with the vac i have to lock him out of the room cos i must admit it annoys me cos i cant get a job done. sweeping brushes and mops too am sure the little bigger used to miss the training mat on purpose cos he knew the mop would come out. he's always been like that

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down