hi another question.. this time about aggression while playing.

+7
janey
dave g
Andy
Ben
Lizzie
gem
flame
11 posters

Go down

hi another question.. this time about aggression while playing. Empty hi another question.. this time about aggression while playing.

Post by flame Wed Dec 28 2011, 17:35

im sorry to keep posting i must be getting you all to the point of bordem. when river plays now with her rope toys. she shakes them about in her mouth really fast and makes growing noises.. is this normal? she isnt aggressive to any of us. just runs of to her create and chews it Smile) ( hasnt got the whole odea of fetch lol of drop..). is that normal thou. also the last couple of day she been having these energy spurts where she runs round the downstairs of the house ( kitchen lead to living room so like a bit circle into hall and front door) a couple of times. she gets walked on average 5 times a day. (2 30 mins one and 3 5-15 min ones) and i have been doing the mental games with her aswell. thank you
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
hi another question.. this time about aggression while playing. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

hi another question.. this time about aggression while playing. Empty Re: hi another question.. this time about aggression while playing.

Post by gem Wed Dec 28 2011, 17:42

All normal behavior for a stafford they are energy bombs that are crackers Laughing
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

hi another question.. this time about aggression while playing. Empty Re: hi another question.. this time about aggression while playing.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 17:52

agree with Gem , don't worry it's all normal. Tilly will chase but not fetch , sometimes she does it by accident cos the ball is still stuck to one of her teeth when she does a good recall Smile Oh and the energy spurts , I come home after being out of the house for a couple of hours (she's been with her mum and sister not alone) and she is barmy. I now have her trained enough so she won't pounce on me from work when I have my shirt and trousers on but , pardon the expression as soon as I have my kit off to get changed that's it absolutely mad , but its great to feel welcolm Laughing

Last edited by davemck3834 on Wed Dec 28 2011, 17:55; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Wed Dec 28 2011, 17:54

Yes they usually growl when they play and they are often more 'chewers' than 'fetchers'. My boy will fetch but will not give it up despite my trying to get him to do it for ages so I have two toys the same to throw and swop. The growling is not aggression.

They also get power surges when they will run around like a looney to use up energy. Mine used to do this in the evening when he was a pup almost like saying ive got some spare energy to use up before I go to bed.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 17:54

Ahhhh, the bully run! Dempsey literally bounces off the walls & furniture! All too normal, I'm afraid.

The shaking & growling is also very normal - can be quite funny, especially when they shake something so hard that it hits them on the side of the head!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Dec 28 2011, 17:54

Oh, all very normal. Mine does it with his jolly ball as well and it is never aggressiveness towards people. Like everything else with a Staffy, they just do it full bore!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Dec 28 2011, 18:02

Yep perfectly norm Big Grin .. the few mins of madness are funny as hell I think, we just let him outside and he does about 8 laps of the garden without stoppin, turning on a sixpence and banging into things Laughing hes a bit big now to let it happen in the house, he would wreck the place in seconds Tongues Big Grin

Max is actually silent so far when playing, no growling or anything ... but our last staff was VERY vocal, quite scary for others to hear Laughing
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Wed Dec 28 2011, 18:11

by the sound of things River is a normal staff Big Grin
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Dec 28 2011, 18:15

dave g wrote:by the sound of things River is a normal staff Big Grin

and settling in nicely. Moo has to kill everything and the noise is terible, other people don't seem to impressed by it either!!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 18:49

Bella does the mad run around the house quite often, tail tucked in and looking like she is being chased. She's very vocal when she's playing as well. I posted a video on here of her playing tug with a chair throw when she was only around 7 weeks old. could barely film it for laughing at the noise she was making Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Wed Dec 28 2011, 19:05

thank you so much for our replys, they all made me laugh. River does make me laugh when she has a mad one, and when shes shaking her rope thing and she shakes it so hard it whacked her upside her head...she just carries on. now she has learnt to play there is no stopping her its great. its funny when we through one of her toys, she runs to get it, then runs straight passed us into her create to have a good old chew...lol i am absolutely astounded at what a stunning breed of dog they are. even my mum has fallen in love with her. she was dead against me getting a staff. outstanding dogs all round!
flame
flame

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Dec 28 2011, 19:09

flame wrote: outstanding dogs all round!

thumbs up Agreed Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 19:09

Billy does the mad run around the house or the garden
Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 19:44

yeh lemmy throws his toys then gets them and shakes them. if they ahd little prey in the wild this would part of the killing it richual i think. either way if he's playing he isnt pestering me for another treat and my knee is empty for a while Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Wed Dec 28 2011, 20:49

Yes sounds exactly like how Tinkerbell plays with her rope toy. I have trained her to leave it on command though because I have little one's who don't always understand not to take things like this off her. She will drop it when asked every time but really enjoy's playing with it. Sounds like River is settling in really nicely! Big Grin
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 21:18

All very normal behaviour and usually quite funny.

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Wed Dec 28 2011, 21:52

Ahhhh she sounds typical and great fun to boot Smile Pleased she is so happy. A few people hae said their dogs fetch but don't fetch back and just wanted to say that Milo's almost a year now and he's been doing it for some time so there's hope lol! I use the 'leave it' command the same from puppyhood if he got hold of one of the kids stray toys or blinking shoes! I highly recommend the kond frisbee when you step up play time Smile x
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29 2011, 00:04

Most dogs do this. Its a "ive got you and im going to kill you now" thing. If you are ever unfortunate enough to catch her with a small animal in her mouth, this is the movement she will make to kill it. Just don't try to stop her or take it away if shes doing this!

And on the fetch...well lets just say you wont be entering any fly ball comps! Lexi runs after a ball, MIGHT pick it up but usally just ignores it. If she does pick it up she runs in the opposite direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29 2011, 11:37

This is why I love this forum so much. It makes me smile to realise that my mad dog is not alone Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Thu Dec 29 2011, 12:56

Perfectly normal. I've had my mother running into my room, worried that Junior is mauling me because of the sounds he makes! They have so much energy and that coupled with a vocal nature equals sounds of mass growling! XD
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Thu Dec 29 2011, 14:51

Mambo shakes all his toys like this and he growls to encourage us to play with him Smile it's all normal behaviour Smile
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mambo
Support total : 2

http://tsphotography.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Thu Dec 29 2011, 19:54

Equi wrote:Most dogs do this. Its a "ive got you and im going to kill you now" thing. If you are ever unfortunate enough to catch her with a small animal in her mouth, this is the movement she will make to kill it. Just don't try to stop her or take it away if shes doing this!

And on the fetch...well lets just say you wont be entering any fly ball comps! Lexi runs after a ball, MIGHT pick it up but usally just ignores it. If she does pick it up she runs in the opposite direction.

this made me lol as I looked into the flyball activity in my area just before Christmas for the future!! There's no where close enough to my area pah!
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29 2011, 20:03

spuker1 wrote:Mambo shakes all his toys like this and he growls to encourage us to play with him Smile it's all normal behaviour Smile

I love it when they do this. Tyson does this as well and it cracks me up every time. I am sure that this is not his intended result!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29 2011, 20:25

ardvark wrote:
Equi wrote:Most dogs do this. Its a "ive got you and im going to kill you now" thing. If you are ever unfortunate enough to catch her with a small animal in her mouth, this is the movement she will make to kill it. Just don't try to stop her or take it away if shes doing this!

this made me lol as I looked into the flyball activity in my area just before Christmas for the future!! There's no where close enough to my area pah!

Lol i would LOVE to see all the snooty collie owners faces if they saw a staffy competing! You would probably win by default cause they would be too scared to let their little bessy run near a staff!

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Thu Dec 29 2011, 21:31

lol! I remember seeing it at crufts when I was alot younger with my Auntie and it was one of the highlights for me. I went into agility with my family pet a jrt who was a nightmare, hilarious for spectators though I'm sure!! Do Staffs not really do the whole flyball thing then Hayley? I'm sure they're not the fastest but taking part has got to be a whole lot of fun Wink
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Dec 29 2011, 21:35

They certainly can do Flyball and are sound at it Smile

Wish we had one near us, there is a certain Woodster on here that is getting rather good, and it looks great fun Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Thu Dec 29 2011, 22:50

Hey, off topic a little but listen to THIS! Okay, see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTmAUmP2k0w
The first black dog you see, that is Kellev. Right, He's a Corgi/Collie/Lab that stands at just under 16inches at the shoulder.
Took him to a prestigious agility show with LOADS of snooty Border Collie owners at Intermediate level agility....he came 2ND!! I was beaten by my now best mate with a Border cross! Oh their FACES!
[ there are a few inside jokes with these dogs and not once do a swear at them. We're doing "voices" for them. ] Snooty Border owners need to be taken down a step, and we did it perfectly.

BACK ON TOPIC!

Staffies can do fly-ball and they can and will beat Border collies any day.
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down