Why is my Staffordshire Bull Terrier scared of the Leash?

3 posters

Go down

Why is my Staffordshire Bull Terrier scared of the Leash? Empty Why is my Staffordshire Bull Terrier scared of the Leash?

Post by jigerstar Wed Dec 14 2011, 18:42

Well I've been trying to get my Pup to walk on the leash inside the house so I don't have to train him when his a big lump of muscle, back to the point so basically I put the collar on clip the leash on and I try to walk forward making no eye contact or touch what so ever then as soon as I walk I get the pull going backwards in the opposite direction he pulls backwards and then freezes and doesn't move at all am I doing something wrong is it too young to leash train it because I'm just doing what other people do they leash train there Staffordshire Bull Terrier at 8 weeks old and there successful I can't seem to do that I spend a lot of time with him encouraging him to walk on the leash then I give up I'm just telling the truth yes I do give up at times but I still try my best for him I love him dearly and I don't want him being lazy for his own good I want him to be fit and healthy and give him all the love he deserves. Please reply and thanks if you do Big Grin
jigerstar
jigerstar
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Royce
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : -16

Back to top Go down

Why is my Staffordshire Bull Terrier scared of the Leash? Empty Re: Why is my Staffordshire Bull Terrier scared of the Leash?

Post by dave g Wed Dec 14 2011, 19:17

You will find most pups are like that when you try to lead walk them for the first time, dont give up on him try and in courage with treats on the floor just keep increasing the distance between treats, he will soon get use to the lead. good luck with him.
dave g
dave g
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Why is my Staffordshire Bull Terrier scared of the Leash? Empty Re: Why is my Staffordshire Bull Terrier scared of the Leash?

Post by jigerstar Wed Dec 14 2011, 19:57

Thanks and I'm going to try that now I will be please to let you know with results thank you Smile
jigerstar
jigerstar

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14 2011, 20:25

Maybe you could clip the lead on inside, and then just let him drag it around. Don't pick it up until he's comfortable with it just 'being there'. Then, you can pick the lead up, but let him lead you around - make it fun, turn it into a game if you can (but don't let him bite the lead!). After a while, just put a little gentle pressure on the lead & use a treat to entice him the way you want to go.

A little at a time usually works best.

Back to top Go down

Post by jigerstar Wed Dec 14 2011, 20:43

I just done all that and it's showing signs of results his actually walking with me and best of all his walking beside me not in front which is a sight of sour eyes normally you would have to teach them to stay aside you his showing signs of improvement thank you everyone for helping me on this post Big Grin I really really appreciate it! Big Grin
jigerstar
jigerstar

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Thu Dec 15 2011, 10:37

That's brilliant! Also a tip now that you've got a young pup. Think about where you give your dog treats. Dogs tend to gravitate towards the area they are used to get rewards and very often we do that with our dog in front of us. If you instead do that with the dog in "heel" position you will get a dog that gravitates towards that area and that can be very beneficial for loose leash walking!
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15 2011, 10:40

That's a good idea! Wish I'd thought of that years ago!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down