Staffordshire Bull Terrier?

+2
heelshouse
bluegia
6 posters

Go down

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Empty Staffordshire Bull Terrier?

Post by bluegia Wed May 22 2013, 17:24

Hey everyone, I am new to this site and super happy I found this forum. I do noy yet own a staffie, but I am dying to have one! MY friend´s back in the States have this beautiful gray staffie. Well behaved, calm, playful, all around perfect dog.

My only question is, I read the ¨types of breeds¨ section in this forum and it says that there is no such as an english staffordshire.

There are the American staffordshire dogs and the Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

So my question is, is my friend´s dog a staffordshire then? (I ask because I thought she was an ¨english¨ staffordshire) - I need clarification because I want an exact dog like the one in the pictures I am providing.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Llllls13

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Lllbst10

she loved to sleep with my maltipoo. Smile
bluegia
bluegia
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : her name will be GIA or SAMBA
Dog(s) Ages : (pup in photo is my friend´s. i want one like her)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Empty Re: Staffordshire Bull Terrier?

Post by heelshouse Wed May 22 2013, 19:12

The "English" Staffordshire Bull Terrier is what some in the States refer to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. If you watch golf it is akin to many years ago us Americans referring to The Open Championship as The British Open.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier was the breed in which the American Staffordshire was derived. The Staffordshire pre-dated the American Staffordshire; therefore there is no need to add English as some in the States do.

There are numerous breeders around, but be careful...some will breed just to breed and not take the time to improve or maintain the breed standard.

This was my breeder in the US:
Endura Staffs

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club Of America also has some breeder information. SBTCA

The .pdf is a bit dated as some of the breeders are no longer breeding, but it was a good start for me.

You can private message me with any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer.

Good luck and it is a FANTASTIC breed!!!

heelshouse

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bartholomew
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 19:19

I think it's a way of making sure that people don't get confused between the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. By putting the word 'English' in front of it, they make sure that people know!

All the same, it's still a Staffordshire Bull Terrier! thumbs up

heelshouse wrote:The Staffordshire Bull Terrier was the breed in which the American Staffordshire was derived.

Not really. Although they both date back to the Bull & Terrier breeds they actually developed quite seperately.

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Wed May 22 2013, 19:22

thank u for the clarification!! Smile) so she is a staffordshire, yes?
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 19:23

Yes! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by heelshouse Wed May 22 2013, 19:35

I thought the Am Staff was based off of the Staffy Bull Terrier. This is information I read when I was doing my year of research on what breed I wanted:

"In the nineteenth century in the English region of Staffordshire, crossing among the Bulldog and various terriers developed the muscular, active, combative Staffordshire Bullterrier. Brought to the United States, the breed was preferred by American breeders who increased its weight and gave it a more powerful head. Now recognized as a separate breed, the American Staffordshire is larger and heavier than his British cousin, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. After dog fighting was banned in the United States in 1900, two strains of these dogs were developed, a show strain and a non-show strain. The show strain was labeled the American Staffordshire, while the non-show dog strain was labeled the American Pit Bull Terrier."

Not disagreeing with you, but I took from the different origins of the Am Staff that it was derived from the Staffy and bred larger to two separate breeds.

heelshouse

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 19:40

heelshouse wrote:I thought the Am Staff was based off of the Staffy Bull Terrier. This is information I read when I was doing my year of research on what breed I wanted:

"In the nineteenth century in the English region of Staffordshire, crossing among the Bulldog and various terriers developed the muscular, active, combative Staffordshire Bullterrier. Brought to the United States, the breed was preferred by American breeders who increased its weight and gave it a more powerful head. Now recognized as a separate breed, the American Staffordshire is larger and heavier than his British cousin, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. After dog fighting was banned in the United States in 1900, two strains of these dogs were developed, a show strain and a non-show strain. The show strain was labeled the American Staffordshire, while the non-show dog strain was labeled the American Pit Bull Terrier."

Not disagreeing with you, but I took from the different origins of the Am Staff that it was derived from the Staffy and bred larger to two separate breeds.

When the first bull & terriers went to America there was no such thing as a staffordshire bull terrier! They were bull & terrier crosses of all sizes. When these bull & terriers went to America they were crossed with local dogs & the Pitbull was formed.

Don't forget that the staffordshire bull terrier breed was really not a fixed 'type' until the early 1900s, & wasn't actually registered until the 1930s.

Back to top Go down

Post by heelshouse Wed May 22 2013, 19:57

Sorry to hijack this thread bluegia...and please believe my Caryll I am not trying to argue as I just love having the most precise info possible...

I was aware that both breeds (Staffordshire Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Bull Terrier) got recognition by KC in 1935 and AKC recognized the Am Staff in 1936. Was not the Staffy breed basis for the Am Staff or were they still tinkering with the more aggressive English breed to create the larger Am Staff in the early 1900s?

heelshouse

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 20:11

heelshouse wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread bluegia...and please believe my Caryll I am not trying to argue as I just love having the most precise info possible...

I was aware that both breeds (Staffordshire Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Bull Terrier) got recognition by KC in 1935 and AKC recognized the Am Staff in 1936. Was not the Staffy breed basis for the Am Staff or were they still tinkering with the more aggressive English breed to create the larger Am Staff in the early 1900s?

They developed totally seperately. The only common factor was the Bull & Terrier. The Stafford as we know it was developed after the emmigration to america of people who took their bull & terriers with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 20:32

I can't help, but she's gorgeous Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by heelshouse Wed May 22 2013, 21:15

Okay...everything I read and research has that the Staffy breed was around and the Am Staff is the result of tinkering with the Staffy prior to it being recognized by KC in 1935...I'm just stubborn to know the facts and definitely don't mind learning new things.

Staffordshire bull terrier, breed of terrier developed in 19th-century England for fighting other dogs in pits. The breed was created by crossing the bulldog, then a longer-legged and more agile dog, with a terrier, possibly the fox terrier or one of the old breeds known as the white English and the black-and-tan terriers. Once known by such names as bull-and-terrier, half and half, and pit bull terrier, the Staffordshire bull terrier is a stocky, muscular, and unusually strong dog standing 14 to 16 inches (36 to 41 cm), with an average weight of about 28 to 38 pounds (13 to 17 kg). It has a broad chest, broad head, and a short muzzle; its ears fold over at the tips and are not cropped. Its coat is stiff and short and may be red, fawn, white, black, or blue or any of these colours with white, any shade of brindle, or any shade of brindle with white. It is an ancestor of the somewhat-larger American Staffordshire terrier, which it closely resembles. See also pit bull terrier; bull terrier.

Like all the bull breeds, the Staffordshire bull terrier can trace its heritage back to the ancient Molossian war dogs of the Greeks. The Mollossians in turn gave rise to the great Mastiffs of Europe, and then to the family of dogs bred to bait bulls and other animals. In an era in which entertainment often centered on gambling and blood sports, these dogs were held in the highest esteem. When blood sports were banned in England in 1835, breed aficionados turned to clandestine dog fights to test their dogs' gameness.

In the late 1800s, dog shows offered another, more civilized venue in which to challenge these dogs against each other, but the street-tough dog with the ignoble background was not exactly what the show elite had in mind. Concerted efforts by breeders to prove their dogs to be as well suited as pets and show dogs as they were as fighting dogs won over the English Kennel Club in 1935 and the American Kennel Club in 1974. In the meantime, the breed had won over many families who found its courageousness matched only by its faithfulness.

heelshouse

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 21:24

The AmStaff/Pitbull is not a descendant of the Stafford. Yes, they come from the same base stock (ie the Bull & Terrier) but they were developed seperately. I've seen the history you've just quoted before, but it's wrong, I'm afraid. Sad Nothing major, but it's still wrong.

The dogs that went to America were not staffords, they were Bull & Terrier crosses. The pitbull (AmStaff) was developed from these dogs, crossed with local fighting dogs.

The same type of Bull & Terrier was also used in England to create the Stafford, but that's the sum total of any connection between them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed May 22 2013, 21:30

i was always told people from the uk and irish took their bull & terrier to american becasue there wasn't enough good lines they had to cross breed them to form the yankee terrier which lead to the pitbull and them american staffordshire terrier

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed May 22 2013, 21:35

bluegia wrote:Hey everyone, I am new to this site and super happy I found this forum. I do noy yet own a staffie, but I am dying to have one! MY friend´s back in the States have this beautiful gray staffie. Well behaved, calm, playful, all around perfect dog.

My only question is, I read the ¨types of breeds¨ section in this forum and it says that there is no such as an english staffordshire.

There are the American staffordshire dogs and the Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

So my question is, is my friend´s dog a staffordshire then? (I ask because I thought she was an ¨english¨ staffordshire) - I need clarification because I want an exact dog like the one in the pictures I am providing.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Llllls13

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Lllbst10

she loved to sleep with my maltipoo. Smile

whatever she she one good looking dog Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Thu May 23 2013, 02:26

A Staffordshire bull terrier is an English Staffordshire bull terrier Smile she looks to be a Staffordshire bull terrier to me but hard to tell from them pictures, maybe one of her stood up better would help but she's gorgeous.

I'm sure people here will help you, there's a lot of people on this forum who know a lot about dogs etc, so if you have any questions just ask and always make sure to buy a puppy that both parents aren't blue Smile
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Thu May 23 2013, 04:28

Thank you everyone for responding to my thread! Much appreciated. I'll provide a couple more photos of her tomorrow so you all have a better look. My friend said she's a staffordshire but I was confused if she was an "English" or just a staffordshire (since there's American, I was a bit confused at first)
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 09:08

Cant really help but she is gorgeous Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 23 2013, 15:22

she look more like pitbull then staffy but without her history it be hard to tell

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 16:10

I agree she looks more pitty than staffy with maybe a bit of bully, maybe a cross of the three. Shes absolutely beautiful though.

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Thu May 23 2013, 16:13

Steve wrote:she look more like pitbull then staffy but without her history it be hard to tell

here is my friend´s dog when she was a pup. my friend is certain she is a staffordshire. she looks like one.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? 38197_10

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? 56510

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? 39225010

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? 7810

she looks like a staffy to me....
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Thu May 23 2013, 16:15

Hayley wrote:I agree she looks more pitty than staffy with maybe a bit of bully, maybe a cross of the three. Shes absolutely beautiful though.

interesting. thank you!!! she really is beautiful. inside and out. shes like the perfect dog.
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 23 2013, 16:18

yea she a pit/pit cross Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 19:33

Seeing those pics, she looks too 'heavy' for a Stafford and her head is the wrong shape. So I'd agree with Steve - she's more likely a pit or pit cross.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu May 23 2013, 19:41

Beautiful girl! Based on the size of that girl vrs. the car I'd go with pit or amstaff x. She is much larger than my girl who is below (she is 4 yrs old).

Staffordshire Bull Terrier? 17cf332420a67e5365691ddfa3454e0b_zpsa6c1b282

Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 19:47

And you can see the difference in head shape as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 20:01

Yours has very bully head. So def bully x pit/amstaff

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Thu May 23 2013, 22:01

Thank u everyone for the help In figuring out what she could be. I'm still sticking to wanting a staffie! I'm obsessed with this forum. It's genius. Thanks once again Smile
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 22:30

omg ive just realised the second photo has another dog in it Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu May 23 2013, 23:02

def a pitt cross and a gorg one at that Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck will prob most have a staff mentality. what a stunner. must admit im smitten
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Thu May 23 2013, 23:20

Hayley wrote:omg ive just realised the second photo has another dog in it Laughing

hahahah Laughing thats hilarious! Big Grin
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Thu May 23 2013, 23:21

Nathan wrote:def a pitt cross and a gorg one at that Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck will prob most have a staff mentality. what a stunner. must admit im smitten

she really is a looker. and shes sooo gentle and calm. she loves to sleep and cuddle. I really do miss her. (she´s my friends dog)
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri May 24 2013, 00:43

bluegia wrote:
Nathan wrote:def a pitt cross and a gorg one at that Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck will prob most have a staff mentality. what a stunner. must admit im smitten

she really is a looker. and shes sooo gentle and calm. she loves to sleep and cuddle. I really do miss her. (she´s my friends dog)

Love pits, amstaffs and staffys. They are all very similar in personality traits. Regardless of "what she is," she is gorgeous and certainly a sweet dog. The biggest reason I went with Staffys is size. They tend to be smaller. Everyone thinks they are pit puppies and like to "warn" me about when they grow up. clown
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 01:12

definitely a pitty/x rather then a staffy but utterly gorgeous anyway!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down