Micro chip help

4 posters

Go down

Micro chip help Empty Micro chip help

Post by perry1960 Wed Dec 14 2011, 09:42

This has been going on now for the last 8 or so months. I am trying to change the details of Boycies micro chip details from the previous owners to mine.I Have contacted the the company that holds the micro chip details but they say that he know longer lives at the address given and unless he sighns a release form the details can not be changed.while I understand this is to stop anyone from stealing him and then saying that he is theirs I would be a lot happier knowing that they could contact me if he was to escape.He does wear a collar all the time with my details on it but if this was to come off and they checked his micro chip and could not find anyone who knows what would happen to him.Is there anyway round this?
Many thanks in advance.
perry1960
perry1960
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : BOYCIE
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Micro chip help Empty Re: Micro chip help

Post by janey Wed Dec 14 2011, 09:48

Have you asked the vets for advice? Its a tricky one, I no when my ex kept our dog I was still legally the owner as the chip was in my name and he kept wanting me to sign her over, I didn't but at least she was registered to the right address. I don't no tbh Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14 2011, 09:53

I would have thought all they would have to do after an inquiry like yours is the use the details they have to get into contact with the old owners and ask them about change of owner if they say yes its straight forward it seems to me someone cant be bothered to do there job and make the phone-call Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Wed Dec 14 2011, 11:21

I would also speak to the vet and see what they say. Surely there must be a contact number, which if it's a mobile it would propably still be valid. Hope you manage to sort it out, sounds like we were lucky in that Tinkerbell wasn't chipped when we had her. Did you get Boycie froma dogs home, could they ring the microcip company for you and declare he is now legally your dog?!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by perry1960 Wed Dec 14 2011, 12:37

The contact details ie telephone number is a mobile but is no longer in use the letters that have been sent by the micro chip office have been returned with not known at this address. When I first got him I took him to my vet for a thorough check up and to get him micro chipped and it was him that told me he already had one.He gave me the number of the micro chip and the tellephone number of the office to contact about changing details but said he could not do anymore.As I have said before I have had him for 10 months now and got him off a young man who said he could not cope with him and was going to send him to a rescue centre. personaly I think he only had him as a statace thing and then got bored with him( that annoys the hell out of me by the way they are not a bit of jewelery that can be worn when they feel like it).I also done some checks at the local police station before i took him on to see if anyone had reported their staffie as being lost or stolen just in case he had got him unlawfuly.but they had no record of any of his desciption.Do not know of anything more i can do.
perry1960
perry1960

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : BOYCIE
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14 2011, 13:12

I'm afraid there's nothing else you can do. Sad

If you'd got him from a rescue centre the micro chip company could have verified it with them & probably would have transferred ownership.

What you could do is to write to the microchip company giving them all the details of how you got him, and ask them to keep your contact details on record. That way, if he gets lost & someone contacts them at least they'll have your details there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14 2011, 14:49

I would contact them and say that the person has left the area and they cannot get into contact with him so if the dog goes missing they won't know how to find someone to take him and he will end up in kennels, so would it not be better to at least have a number for someone who wants the dog?! Always ask to talk to the manager, or as high up as you can go. Don't settle for talking to the adviser, and also say you are willing to get a lawyer involved as this is your dog and it isnt your fault the old owner cannot be contacted!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14 2011, 14:51

Equi wrote: and also say you are willing to get a lawyer involved as this is your dog and it isnt your fault the old owner cannot be contacted!

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie&Buster Thu Jan 05 2012, 21:36

Just registered today and reading though various post and came across this, A year ago we rehomed a lovely staffy cross from a animal rescue centre, we were told she came from the pound with no history and no name, She was microchipped by the centre with her new name and and our details.
Fast forward a year to the first vaccinations with a new vet, The vet asked how she was and gave her a general look over and said he'd check her microchip had been registerd correctley, so he scanned her neck and it picked up a chip, Now i said thats strange as you could feel her chip at the top of her leg so he scanned where i showed him and you guessed it theres another microchip
Were currently trying to get the original chip details changed but not having any luck as no-one wants to change the details.
Ellie&Buster
Ellie&Buster
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05 2012, 21:42

Ellie&Buster wrote:Just registered today and reading though various post and came across this, A year ago we rehomed a lovely staffy cross from a animal rescue centre, we were told she came from the pound with no history and no name, She was microchipped by the centre with her new name and and our details.
Fast forward a year to the first vaccinations with a new vet, The vet asked how she was and gave her a general look over and said he'd check her microchip had been registerd correctley, so he scanned her neck and it picked up a chip, Now i said thats strange as you could feel her chip at the top of her leg so he scanned where i showed him and you guessed it theres another microchip
Were currently trying to get the original chip details changed but not having any luck as no-one wants to change the details.

You're right, it can be a huge problem. I think there should be something set up by the chip companies so taht a person who has taken over the ownership of a dog can get the ownership verified if they can't contact the original owners - ie a rescue dog, or private purchase. You could maybe go to a Notary and swear that the info you have given is correct & that the dog is yours, and then the company could change the details to your name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Thu Jan 05 2012, 21:47

Sounds like we were extremely lucky that Tinkerbell's previous owners couldn't be bothered to microchip her.
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05 2012, 21:51

when a dog is picked up by the pound they ring PETLOG (08444633999) who are the central database for microchips in the uK. if the chip company is UK based then petlog hold all details. i wonder if you rang these would they be able to help you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down