Aggression advice

4 posters

Go down

Aggression advice Empty Aggression advice

Post by Sheffielder Tue Dec 13 2011, 20:01

Hi all

Wonder if anyone might be able to help me. In February we got Red, a staffy lurcher cross, from a friend of mine who could no longer look after her [due to her circumstances not Red's]. She's our first staffy and in fact our first dog in adult life. She's now around 2 and a half and is a lovely girl, really affectionate to us and great with people in general and children in particular. However, she's started growling quite a bit at other dogs.

She was fine when she first came to us. Then she had a bad foot and I noticed was growling at other dogs a bit, I thought to warn them away from her foot. However, the foot problem is now gone and yet she's still growling at other dogs quite often in the park. She never goes up to them and starts anything but if another dog comes up to her, often she'll growl.

I know that growling can sometimes be playing and there is a young GSD who she plays fights with happily but there was a small dog the other day who she growled at and then fought with in a way I didn't think looked too playful [I stepped in pretty quick]. So now we've got a situation where we have a lovely dog around the home who is becoming a pain to walk as I'm on edge that she's going to start growling/fighting. Should I be worried? Is it all part of learning where she comes in the pecking order at her age? Is she just playing? And if not how do I stop it?

Any help would be much appreciated - she really is great in every way except this!
Sheffielder
Sheffielder
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Aggression advice Empty Re: Aggression advice

Post by janey Tue Dec 13 2011, 20:23

Hi & Aggression advice Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Aggression advice Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Aggression advice Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Aggression advice Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Aggression advice Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Aggression advice Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Aggression advice Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13 2011, 20:58

They are an agressive breed and may not get along with other dogs and she most likely wasn't socialized when she was a pup. She may be okay with some dogs and not others. If you know someone with a well socialized dog try walking the two of them together and then letting them play for a short period while you supervise. I would repeat this process for any new dog she is going to see or interact with on a regular basis if you can.

When you see a new dog as the handler how they are around dogs and avoid the ones that are dog aggressive. Also please read the body language link at the top of the forum to help you recognize the difference between play and aggression.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Dec 13 2011, 21:24

Hi and welcome Smile

You really need to keep on top of this by the sound of it, it may (or may not) get a lot worse, and as a responsible owner, you must get to know your dogs body language.

Speaking from experience, it is possible to live with a very DA staffy as long as you stick rigidly to certain rules (I'm talking common sense things here like on lead around un-known dogs always, and keeping your eyes peeled at all times etc etc)

I must say, a staffy (bred for fighting, strong as an ox), and a Lurcher (bred for hunting, fast as lightening) isnt the best DA mix for a peacefull life doh Tongues
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Tue Dec 13 2011, 21:58

It's not uncommon for a staffie to dislike dogs from around the time they turn two. I would look into BAT training ( http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/bat/ ) to manage it
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14 2011, 09:35

Interesting link Ane. Sometimes the growling you discribe can be the dog being protective over you and your space. She may be warning other dogs off. She may also sense your anxiety. Remaining calm and showing her you are in control may help her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheffielder Wed Dec 14 2011, 09:49

Thanks for all your comments so far. It's interesting you say that Ty - she does seem to love me a lot and is far more interested in chasing balls/sticks than playing with other dogs. Perhaps she's just saying 'go away I'm having fun'???
Sheffielder
Sheffielder

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down