aggression advice still please????

2 posters

Go down

aggression advice still please???? Empty aggression advice still please????

Post by lisajcantlon Sun Oct 30 2011, 16:19

Thanks for all the replies on all my previous issues with Miley
I have been working on my confidence, but she just keeps testing me on walks, i now keep her on the lead unless im in a field where i can see all around me that the coast is clear and i will then let her off the leash to play ball. However it seems that as were walking back when on the leash and she happens to pass a dog she just lunges at them and starts a fight. I dont hand around letting her sniff the dog i literally just walk past them. I know she can sense my panic which i know is not helping but how can i relax knowing she will do this every time we walk past a dog?? Im considering a muzzle so i know she can hurt a dog. I cant afford anymore behaviourist sessions, and we have done social training/walks , obedience training etc you name it i've tried it. Sad
I dont think she recognises myself and husband as the pack leaders, so how can we work on this and if she needs a muzzle what type would you recommend?
Sorry for going on, I just want to do right by her and the safety of other dogs.
Lisa
lisajcantlon
lisajcantlon
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Miley
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

aggression advice still please???? Empty Re: aggression advice still please????

Post by Guest Sun Oct 30 2011, 17:18

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough ride of it with her.

It's time to go right back to basics. Before you feed her, make her work for it, a sit-stay, for example, which will also be a useful command when you're out and about. Same goes before she gets any affection, or a walk, make her work for it, make her understand that you are in control of the things she wants.

When you're out with her, if she lunges at a dog, a very firm 'NO!' and turn around quickly and confidently and just walk her the other way. If she sees a dog and growls, again, a firm correction and turn her away from it.

She needs to understand that you will not tolerate any of this kind of behaviour from her, that you are in the driver's seat and it's staying that way.

If you feel she needs a correction, don't hesitate, do it straight away, firmly, confidently, calmly. She will soon start looking at you with more respect. You have to make sure your husband does the same, she must understand that she is bottom of the pack, cos at the moment, she thinks she is at the top.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 30 2011, 17:45

Good advise shon, it's what we are doing

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Oct 30 2011, 17:52

Great advice there thumbs up if you see another dog approaching then shorten her lead so that she is at your leg and tell her to leave it make her respect your command you should no way let her approach another out in front of you.
Im not a lover of muzzles and feel it gives out the wrong impression if you have your dog under control at all times its not needed and if a aggresive dog approaches off lead your dog has no way to protect itself Big Grin
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down