Any advice welcome

2 posters

Go down

Any advice welcome Empty Any advice welcome

Post by *Karen* Thu Nov 24 2011, 21:00

Despite the vets assurances that this isn't necessary, we'r waiting until after mia's first season to have her spayed... With this in mind if anyone can give me any info on what to expect when the time comes for her season it would be greatly appreciated, even just basics like how long it will last and if they need any special attention etc would be great as I havnt had a pup before so am a complete novice!!
*Karen*
*Karen*
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Any advice welcome Empty Re: Any advice welcome

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 21:05

Skye just finished her first season bless her, and to be honest it was not as bad as i thought it would be and it flew by.
Season usually lasts 3weeks and happens every 6months.
you will notice her vulva swelling, she will start small amount of dotting, she may become pretty ratty and sulky and some would just rather lye in bed rather than play etc.
I found it alot safer to walk skye early morning and after dark when she was in season, to prevent the risk of coming across a male etc, no off lead walking to be on the safe side etc.
its not half as bad as alot of people make out, you can purchase hygiene pants also Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 21:20

When I had bitches I wasn't too worried about the first 10 days. However, the 2nd 10 days of the season I never let them off lead & like Kelly I'd walk them early morning/late evening. If I saw a dog in the distance I'd walk the other way!

Some are messier than others, but most bitches will try to keep themselves clean. If there's a particularly heavy loss then you can buy hygiene pads from the local pet store - make sure you get the right size, though, as otherwise they can rub.

One little tip that a breeder told me many moons ago was that when one of her bitches was due to be shown & she came into season unexpectedly she'd rub some Vicks around her lady parts & that would disguise the scent. Now, I've never tried it, so don't blame me if it doesn't work! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 21:22

P.S. For the last 10 days keep her away from dogs at all costs! I know that sounds like common sense, but you'll be surprised how many people think "Oh, she won't take any notice" or "They'll only play & I can stop anything happening"..........don't you believe it! She'll be very interested & will act a tart, and there'll be very little you can do about it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 21:29

Caryll wrote:P.S. For the last 10 days keep her away from dogs at all costs! I know that sounds like common sense, but you'll be surprised how many people think "Oh, she won't take any notice" or "They'll only play & I can stop anything happening"..........don't you believe it! She'll be very interested & will act a tart, and there'll be very little you can do about it!

^^ yup!!! lol
Just the entire time be extra cautious outdoors etc Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Nov 24 2011, 22:26

Jesus, would you like vics rubbed around your lady bits? Personally I wouldn't!!

Moo came into season the day of her op, typical women! The only thing I swore by was the hygiene pants, really where a god send.

As the others have said on lead walks only, lasts around 4 weeks and bleeding can differ, Moo did bleed for 3 weeks of that.

We had a bad experience with an intact male, so do be super vigilent. Other than that just ride it out as they all can react differently. Apart from the blood loss and the male, it was no big deal.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 22:29

janey wrote:
Jesus, would you like vics rubbed around your lady bits? Personally I wouldn't!!

No!!! rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Believe it or not, she also used to rub it on the noses of the dogs so they couldn't smell the in season bitches! Surprised

As I said, I haven't tried it personally........... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Nov 24 2011, 22:31

All I can say is ouch!!

Did she work for Ann Summers by any chance Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 22:32

janey wrote:
All I can say is ouch!!

Did she work for Ann Summers by any chance Laughing

Surprised Surprised Surprised If she did, I'm never buying any of that stuff!!! Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Nov 24 2011, 22:33

Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Fri Nov 25 2011, 12:48

Thanks very much guys obviously we not expecting it for some time but I'll be extra careful now and hopefully it'll be fine!!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down