What's your opinion??

2 posters

Go down

What's your opinion?? Empty What's your opinion??

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 08:00

Ok, so I was hoping you could all give me your thoughts and opinions on a topic which is under fire in my home at the moment.

Here goes:
Well, RoXy is still young ( 11 months ) and not perfectly behaved.......she's good, but has her moments when she tests the limits. Usually a stern sounding "UUUHHH" is enough, but my Dad ( my folks are living with us while they build their new home ) will use a stern "ROXYYYYY"

Well, Jem ( age 15 ) is always telling him not to use her name in a negative situation, and in turn this causes discusion.

So, what is your view on this ? Do you use your dogs name only in positive situations or whenever you feel the need, even if it is to reprimand them?

Back to top Go down

What's your opinion?? Empty Re: What's your opinion??

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 09:23

We use a SUKI NO. Although I have heard you aren't supposed to do this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 09:34

I've heard that your not supposed to as well, but I have to admit that I do use their names

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 10:18

No, you're not supposed to use the name in a negative way. Having said that, most of us do! I think if you follow the name with a command such as "Roxy, no!" or "Roxy, leave!" then there isn't a problem. However, if you continually just use the name as a negative the dog will eventually associate its name in a negative way & may not, for example, come to you when you call.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 11:38

I try hard to remember not to use the name in association with negative 'commands' but I am afraid it is easier said than done

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 13:13

Thanks for the above comments guys / gals. My thoughts exactly..... I try not to use her name in a negative, but sometimes it's easier said than done. it's just frustarting when she does the wrong thing and all you hear is "ROXYYYY" "ROXYYY" oi, "ROXXYYYYYY" Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Tue Nov 29 2011, 21:56

I'm with Lynn lol!! Easier said than done, isn't that always the sod*ing way! I do try very hard though Big Grin
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
What's your opinion?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Nov 30 2011, 22:17

Depends - do you want the dog to come/be happy when you use the name? If yes - then make sure it has positive associations. Use a nickname if you want to indicate a particular dog in a pack, for instance, but the name you want your dog to respond to by coming as fast as possible isn't the one you use for scolding for when you're going to clip the nails (If it's unpopular), stick the dog in a crate and leave it alone, drag it into the shower, give foul tasting medicine etc..
I slip up from time to time, but do my very best to only make his name a happy thing.
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30 2011, 23:31

Thanks Aniemother, you hit the nail on the head ( so to speak )

This is where my daughter and I are coming from with our logic too. I do agree that it's easier said than done, but for most of the time we try not to use her name too much in a negative manner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30 2011, 23:45

we have been told too that you never use their name when reprimanding them only use the name for good things. its your home your dog so tell your dad (nicley of course) that he must respect your ways and that the dog is in trianing still and that all commands must be the same or she will get confused and not respond. just explain the training methods you use and tell him the commands and i am sure he'll be fine. the thing with our parents is they treat dogs like toddlers they dont understand doggy behaviour language and etiquet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down