Walking puppy question

2 posters

Go down

Walking puppy question Empty Walking puppy question

Post by Derby001 Mon Nov 21 2011, 04:17

When I walk Jagger from our house to the trail nearby he seems to want to drop down every 10 or so meters, he will just lie there and refuse to walk unless I place a treat in front of him. He has only been walking for 3 weeks now and has been doing this for the last 2 weeks.
The funny thing is when we eventually turn back towards home he is the complete opposite, he will be pulling me home and even jogging along at a fast pace. No stopping what so ever! We walk for approx 1 -1.5 km.
So he can't be tired if at the start of the walk he is stopping? He doesn't stop to sniff anything either?
Any ideas??
Derby001
Derby001
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jagger
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Walking puppy question Empty Re: Walking puppy question

Post by Staffymummy Mon Nov 21 2011, 10:07

Hi, I'm still new here so I’m sure someone will come along with some great advice but just wanted to say my puppy, Louis, did this for the first few weeks and thankfully just grew out of it. Now he knows being outside is great fun!

I was just persistent with him and would give him a gentle tug to let him know he needed to carry on walking. At first I gave him treats to pursued him along but because he’s a greedy so and so I found that he’d lie down just to get a treat.

I'd say just keep at it, he's still very young and will more than likely be better in a few weeks.
Staffymummy
Staffymummy
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louis
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 11:53

Could be a number of different things. The most likely cause, I think, is that he is uncomfortable with the lead. Try putting it on him in the house and when he gets up to go someplace pick up the lead and follow him.

Motivating him to follow with treats could also work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 12:46

As above, really.

Also, I think you're probably walking him a little too far for his age. The rough thing to go by is 5 minutes per month of age up until about 6 months - 1 year old. So he really shouldn't be walking on the lead for longer than 15 minutes per day at the moment! Off lead play is ok brcause the pup will let you know when it's tired.

It could be that he's getting far too tired & it's putting him off the walks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 14:03

Caryll wrote:As above, really.

Also, I think you're probably walking him a little too far for his age. The rough thing to go by is 5 minutes per month of age up until about 6 months - 1 year old. So he really shouldn't be walking on the lead for longer than 15 minutes per day at the moment! Off lead play is ok brcause the pup will let you know when it's tired.

It could be that he's getting far too tired & it's putting him off the walks.

i agree with caryll his only young and still needs to get used to walking outside on a lead etc etc probs cut your walks shorter etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Derby001 Mon Nov 21 2011, 23:52

Ok thanks, I'll take on your advice and reduce the distance.
I've tried using different collars/gentle leader harness etc but same result each time.
Will let you know in a couple of weeks where he's at.
Thanks again.
Derby001
Derby001

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jagger
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down