Question about walking

Go down

Question about walking Empty Question about walking

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31 2011, 10:46

I think I've read on here that if a dog is off lead, you can let them run about as much as they want, its the on lead walking you have to limit while they're young. Is that right? I usually get a bus with Charlie up to Central park, let him run about off lead for about 45 mins, then walk him back on the lead which takes about 15 mins. So he gets an hour altogether, 45 mins off lead playing with other dogs and sniffing around then a 15 min walk back. Is this ok for him?

Back to top Go down

Question about walking Empty Re: Question about walking

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Jan 31 2011, 11:27

I always thought whether they were off lead or not you had to be careful because they're still growing and what not. Molly never really did a lot of running, she just had very long walks, so I can't really comment much more than what I've heard else where.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31 2011, 11:41

Charlie doesnt run around like that unless he's playing with other dogs. I figure they're running round loads at home too so do we need to limit that? I dont want to do him any damage but at the same time I dont want him to be bored or over hyper at home cos he's not getting enough exercise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31 2011, 11:51

I think the main problem is on-lead walking because the dog has to keep going with you even if it's tired. Off lead, a pup will often limit itself. However, if Charlies charging around for 45 minutes, I'd cut it back a little, especially if you're then walking home. In fact, you might be better off walking there, giving him 30 minutes free & then bussing home cause that's when he'll be tired & you could over tax his muscles & tendons.

Free running & playing is important to build up the muscles that control the hips & elbows & helps to strengthen them enough to support the joints properly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31 2011, 11:57

Ok I'll try that Caryll. I usually bus there cos its up hill and I'm lazy! Lol. i'll try that today. He doesnt charge around as such cos he stays pretty close to me at the mo. The only time he really goes for it is if he's playfighting or chasing another dog, the rest of the time he's just trotting along and sniffing everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down