How many different 'types' of staffy are there?

+47
stu
EMMALALA13
Ange
caro
Kiets
sherry
Sazzle
Simbastaffy
bruno bonce
whyrpplsoignorant???
ChloeEmma
stevobath
Coco Pops
dijotofmummy
Steve
Peachy
Megaboost
bluegia
rob hammond
mumadragon
barnesation
lizdrum
bluelinekennelsusa
Stokester
SeveredLimb1
Staffiesrus
Indy
gingernut42
tracylee
KeithOT
tyson
SnoopDogg
rodders666
lady lu
sue butlin
Frankctz
Bruno_3
Rocko2011
fireball
oldsalt
janey
ardvark
roz w
carls
Nosipho
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier
51 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How many different 'types' of staffy are there? Empty How many different 'types' of staffy are there?

Post by Staffy-Bull-Terrier Fri Oct 28 2011, 21:11

How many different 'types' of staffy are there?

How many different 'types' of staffy are there? Get-Info
Information
Buyer Beware we as a forum are here to educate and promote all that is good about our chosen breed, over the years breeders have tried to use the Stafford name to promote types of dogs basically cross breeds and they then attach a name to make it sound rare or desirable at the expense of the true Stafford so if you see any of these types/crosses for sale we want people to understand its just a cross bred Stafford and is not worth £100's of pounds

These dogs are no less beautiful or loving but they are equally not 100% Stafford

After a few years on the net i've have seen it all. Some unusual names that are meant to be breed names, so i've decided to do a page about so called types to educate the gullible.

How many different 'types' of staffy are there? Note_a10
Note

list of names i have seen over the years:
  • Australian staffy
  • King staffy, King Staffords, King Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • Athletic staffy
  • English staffy, English Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • Irish staffy, Irish Blue, Irish Red, Irish Blue Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • Scotish Staffy
  • Old Type, Old Type Staffy, Old type Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • Long Legged Staffy, Short leggy staffy, Miniature Staffy
  • Coloured Noses Staffy

These are not breeds, these are made up names to make more money and you could end up with a cross breed that's really worth a lot less than what you have paid. Don't be fooled by bad breeders because you could end up with a type that could get you fined or even sent to prison depending on your country's dog laws. If you've already been fooled please call your dog what it is a cross breed if it doesn't meet staffordshire bull terrier standards..

There are a few breeds that are not offical yet, like American Bulldog, Jack Russell, American Bully and so on but these breeds have a group of people that have spent years & a lot of time making up a real standard with a database of their dogs. These so call types don't have official clubs or even any type of databases.

Don't listen to your mates or a bad breeder from down the road; there is only one staffordshire bull terrier. If you're looking for a bigger dog that is similar to staffordshire bull terrier have a look these other breeds but some of these breeds are banned in certain countries.
Staffy-Bull-Terrier
Staffy-Bull-Terrier
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Forum Bot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Forum Bot

Status Status :

Support total : 80

Back to top Go down

How many different 'types' of staffy are there? Empty Re: How many different 'types' of staffy are there?

Post by gem Sun Oct 30 2011, 13:36

Like it applause
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

How many different 'types' of staffy are there? Empty Re: How many different 'types' of staffy are there?

Post by Nosipho Mon Oct 31 2011, 17:04

Couldnt have put it better myself thumbs up
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 17:12

Well done with this

Back to top Go down

Post by carls Thu Nov 24 2011, 00:16

i have got the most amazin lookin male staff aparantly by staffy standards he is too long legged to be a full staff and there is no such thing as an am staff he is red in colour,when i took him to puppy trainin school the trainers fell in love with him and said they had never seen a staffy as beautifull as him he is amazin the only fault is that we loved him that much we bought another and now he has become a little aggressive about his terrirory and his friend bella.
Has anyone experienced this

carls
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog Gender(s) : red/blknwhite
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 02:45

There is such a thing as an AmStaff (American Staffordshire Terrier). The AmStaff is a separate breed from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Stafford), though, not a "type" of SBT. The AmStaff is the AKC equivalent of the American Pit Bull Terrier, so it is banned in the UK.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 08:24

well done

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 08:34

Also just to say if u are looking for a particular type of staff which is either bigger than usual or longer legged than usual etc its probably a stafford cross u are looking for - in which case dont line the pockets of so called "breeders" go into your local rescue centre and you will find the perfect dog for you!

Back to top Go down

Post by roz w Sun Dec 18 2011, 11:21

a lot of those names are also to hide the fact the dog is a pit bull which of course is banned in England , where i live there are a lot of pit bulls but no one will call them that , it is usually a "long legged staff" or an "irish staff" which they refer them as
roz w
roz w
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How many different 'types' of staffy are there? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Trouble
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 18 2011, 11:31

roz w wrote:a lot of those names are also to hide the fact the dog is a pit bull which of course is banned in England , where i live there are a lot of pit bulls but no one will call them that , it is usually a "long legged staff" or an "irish staff" which they refer them as

Yes, that's very true.

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Fri Dec 23 2011, 21:07

I've said this before but I can't help wondering if my boy is an 'Irish Staff' ?! My dad (who has no authority on what Milo actually is!) said to me the other day that he believed him to not be 'full' staff and is probably a pit bull thinking kind of thinking he *might be right, I must measure his height now he's about to turn one year.
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Dec 23 2011, 21:11

ardvark wrote:I've said this before but I can't help wondering if my boy is an 'Irish Staff' ?! My dad (who has no authority on what Milo actually is!) said to me the other day that he believed him to not be 'full' staff and is probably a pit bull thinking kind of thinking he *might be right, I must measure his height now he's about to turn one year.

If you haven't any papers then Milo will more than likely be a staffy X.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Dec 23 2011, 21:15

i think there are plenty of crossbeed 'TYPES' bred to look similar to pits in the uk and I'm sure there also real pitbull in the uk but only the select few will have them becasue die hard pit breeder are to scared of lettting kids getting hold of them.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Fri Dec 23 2011, 21:30

Hey Janey Smile

no papers, no lol! He came from a kennel that rehomes strays from the good old dog warden if they were not claimed. He clearly wasn't microchipped or claimed so came to our house to live, we were the first to see him and took him there and then Smile he was only about 4 months old and came with a lurcher collar and the rehoming place told us he was likely to have come from a traveller site (there was one very near to where he was found in fact) I know this as it was also very near to where we live you see. Fete where ever he came from, he was meant to be here Smile

Why do you say more likely staff Janey? Just out of interest that is! x
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Dec 23 2011, 21:31

because pit are banned in the uk and we dont want you to get in trouble so milo is an staffy x Wink

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Fri Dec 23 2011, 21:44

sorry I'm feeling a bit dim Blushing but the penny did drop thankyou Steve Wink lol!

For nothing other than curiosity we would love to know his story...where did he come from and how did he get into the hands of the dog warden (our gain whatever though!) and yes what makes Milo, Milo?!
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Dec 23 2011, 21:48

if an dog warden pick milo up that an good sign he wouldn't be class an TYPE becasue if the police or dog warden pick up an stray and it was similar to pit they will normaly get put down pretty straight away.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Fri Dec 23 2011, 21:57

Hi again Smile thanks yes, you're right didn't ever think of it although he was only 4 months old. The vet aged him on 2 seperate occasions at approx. 4 months. He had only lost his top 2 front puppy teeth when we took him so he was a bit podgy with lots of loose skin and clearly very much a pup. lol! So I'm assuming he'd have been difficult to 'type' at that young an age but ??
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Dec 23 2011, 21:59

If you haven't got papers you can never prove if he is full or X. Thats just how it works. It annoys me when they are classed as a 'type'. There just a Staffy X.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Fri Dec 23 2011, 22:06

thanks Janey tbh I'm sure he's a cross of some description whether it was his mum that was a staff x and his dad was full staff. or whatever combination of breeds, I feel sure he's not pure not that I care at all >>>> just to be clear lol! I would just love to know what little bit extra he has in him whatever it is I'm sure it's a bonus ha ha!
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Dec 23 2011, 22:08

Moo's x with a tiger, (you can't tell by my pic!) Maybe I have staffiger!

As you said, what does it matter. Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Fri Dec 23 2011, 22:12

lol maybe you're right....

'you have a tiger is she okay with your children?'

Sick of that comment? I am!
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Dec 23 2011, 22:16

Massivley, but thats a commen opinion, one which my brother and sisters family hold. Hay ho. They'd think that with the uneducated stigma behind the breed anyway.

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 23 2011, 23:03

even at that early age the warden would of had a inklin if he thought he had any pit in him he would have been destroyed so be happy in the knowledge you got a staffyx thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt Thu Dec 29 2011, 06:19

Have you heard of this one, Modern Staffy?

I saw them advertised the other week.
oldsalt
oldsalt
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Angus McTavish
Dog(s) Ages : 2,5
Support total : 2

http://www.tri-service.org

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Dec 29 2011, 10:25

oldsalt wrote:Have you heard of this one, Modern Staffy?

I saw them advertised the other week.

Surprised
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Fri Dec 30 2011, 21:23

I am wondering what on earth a 'modern staffy' is?!?!?!?!
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by fireball Fri Dec 30 2011, 21:36

i`ve papers for blue and he`s over 18 inches.i get asked all the time is he a pitbull or an am-staff.
fireball
fireball
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : blue
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocko2011 Sat Dec 31 2011, 23:19

rocko is a staffy cross labrador people always comment how lovely he is and he's the nicest staffy they've saw i'm always honest and says he's a cross but alot of people mistake him for a pitbull.
if the breeder lied to me about the breed name i would have known as my dad has knowledge with these dogs but i fell in love with him instantly and he's my wee baby the only difference i can see with him is he is a little longer and has long legs.
Rocko2011
Rocko2011

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocko
Dog(s) Ages : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sun Jan 01 2012, 21:23

Hey Laura, I love Rocko's markings! I don't know how old Rocko is but can I ask do you think he looks like Milo in the body? It's been suggested to me Milo is a lab/staff cross by a staff. owner but I can't really see it...maybe it's Milo's colour putting me off, not exactly a lab. colour!!
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocko2011 Sun Jan 01 2012, 22:26

hi ardvark from the picture he doesn't look like staff cross lab rockos mum was full staffy and his dad was half lab half staff and his grandparents were a golden lab and full staff. rocko's sister from the last litter before rocko has a longer body and legs, if you know someone with a full staff you could measure there body and height then your dogs body and height to see if there is any difference. happy new year.
Rocko2011
Rocko2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sun Jan 01 2012, 22:33

Hi happy new year to you too Smile that's the thing it's such a guessing game all if's and buts! I'd love to know what he is, guess I never will Rolling Eyes
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocko2011 Mon Jan 02 2012, 16:21

yeah without the papers or knowing the parents family tree its hard to find out.
still you have a lovely dog who has got a loving home that's what is important.
Rocko2011
Rocko2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno_3 Sun Jan 15 2012, 20:42

Well i think this is a great thread thumbs up

I've never known so many variations of staffs...in 2010 i took bruno to a Dudley show where they originate from in the uk, some for beginners and other's who'd showed them but before it started they gave you the history of joseph Dun and jo malone who started the breed and showing them from the 1930s onwards and saying the staffs had to be 16" high for showing etc with details and before they started the shows...they introduced a couple who showed two 10" staffs world wide. My point is-why talk about the past when miniture's as they call it are being showed thinking confused

Bruno_3
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankctz Sat Jan 21 2012, 03:54

Good info, thanks
Frankctz
Frankctz
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max, Buffy
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 21 2012, 12:31

Bruno_3 wrote:My point is-why talk about the past when miniture's as they call it are being showed thinking confused

They're not miniatures, just short staffs! There is not minimum height for a staff in the Breed Standard, only desirable heights:

"Size: Desirable height at withers 35.5 - 40.5 cms (14 - 16 ins.), these heights being related to the weights."

It's up to the judge whether he feels that the smaller dog is of sufficient quality to win - there's nothing to stop them being shown.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno_3 Sat Jan 21 2012, 16:14

The trouble today concerning staffs, is certain breeders and people wanting to make quick money are'nt breeding a male of female staff the same regarding height and looks plus colour or just similar, instead they're putting long legged staffs with short legged staffs and also mixing the breeds colours for eg putting brindles with blues to see the outcome...and through this it's making the staff breed show in different versions and through this again we've got a modern staff which i've never heard of, it's totally rediculous.

Bruno_3

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 21 2012, 16:18

I call lexi a mini staffy purely cause i think shes tiny! But i know its not a real breed or sub breed at all lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno_3 Sat Jan 21 2012, 16:20

Caryll wrote:
Bruno_3 wrote:My point is-why talk about the past when miniture's as they call it are being showed thinking confused

They're not miniatures, just short staffs! There is not minimum height for a staff in the Breed Standard, only desirable heights:

"Size: Desirable height at withers 35.5 - 40.5 cms (14 - 16 ins.), these heights being related to the weights."

It's up to the judge whether he feels that the smaller dog is of sufficient quality to win - there's nothing to stop them being shown.
Caryll...i know the point your making but with staffs over the years, they've altered in so many ways, it's very rare you see a EBT smaller in height for some reason over the years they've kept the EBT going strong and original...where with the staffs they're altering so much, this was the point i was just trying to make and which was mentioned earlier now a modern staff.

Bruno_3

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno_3 Sat Jan 21 2012, 16:29

Equi wrote:I call lexi a mini staffy purely cause i think shes tiny! But i know its not a real breed or sub breed at all lol
Hi Hayley,

When i had my first staff Rocky he growed to 16" in height and i spoke with the vet about the heights...as certain issues about a breed can make you wonder plus being my first staff, i wondered why i'd seen some smaller ones and he told me through breeding them smaller it's affecting their windpipe and causes breathing issues.
Where i live they're staffy lovers and 2 people i know who have the miniture staffs have had trouble with their staffs breathing where it's involved asthma.

Bruno_3

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Jan 21 2012, 23:08

there only one staffy dont matter if it's abit under or abit over the standard it still an staffy, if it well over or under then it an cross breed there no Miniature Staffy, long legy staffy or wahtever.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno_3 Sun Jan 22 2012, 00:20

Steve, your right in what your saying their all staffs...it's just the different aspects which the breed carry concerning build which gets annoying.

Bruno_3

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by sue butlin Sat Mar 10 2012, 22:18

[quote="carls"]i have got the most amazin lookin male staff aparantly by staffy standards he is too long legged to be a full staff and there is no such thing as an am staff he is red in colour,when i took him to puppy trainin school the trainers fell in love with him and said they had never seen a staffy as beautifull as him he is amazin the only fault is that we loved him that much we bought another and now he has become a little aggressive about his terrirory and his friend bella.
Has anyone experienced this
[this is the reason i have my staffy, my daughter bought a staffy pup when she had a two year old staff who is now mine applause ]

sue butlin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : suzy
Dog(s) Ages : 3yrs
Dog Gender(s) : femal

Back to top Go down

Post by lady lu Wed Mar 14 2012, 11:40

Well my staff was a rescue so I know nothing about her past or her bloodlines and to be honest I don't care. She's a fantastic family dog, so well mannered ( appart from jumping up at people if they make eye contact with her) and she's even good around cattle,sheep and horses so I couldn't wish for better.

As far as all these "different staffs" it is just stupid idiots thinking up names to make their money. They do not care about the dogs,or the people buying them, they just care about the money. That is why I will NEVER buy any dog from a breeder, I will always rescue. Too many staffs get put to sleep in rescue centers.........for every puppy purchased from a so called "breeder" a staff in a center faces being put to sleep......I can't live with that thought in my mind.
lady lu
lady lu

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Cheyenne (staffy) Lady (Rotty)
Dog(s) Ages : chey 4 yrs, lady 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Fri Mar 16 2012, 10:22

well said Lady Lu couldn't agree more I despise back yard 'breeders' of any breeds for this very fact. x
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders666 Fri Apr 20 2012, 17:56

Hi, new to the board and saw this topic. We have a big Staff, Baxter, who we love dearly Love Struck

We know Bax is not a full Staff, but, we know the parents of Baxter as their owners are friends of ours.
They were not planning to breed them as Baxter's mother, Boo, is not a full Staff but a Staff/Labrador X. His father, Fernando, is a full SBT. However, Boo & Fernando were naughty and she ended up with a litter of 7 (which two unfortunately didn't make it).

Now, as Baxter has a bit of Lab in him, he is tall with a longer nose. He takes after his dad when it comes to markings, but his mother for sheer size. Which, unfortunatley, means we forever get the pitbull question.

We refer to Baxter as a Staff, he's just a big one. We knew we weren't getting a pedigree and to be honest we are so happy with Baxter Smile

I agree with people and this original poster regarding the imaginitive names given to crosses to make them sound more genuine than they actually are and it is wrong. People need to do their homework before getting any type of dog, but after living with Baxter for 9 months now I wouldn't have any other breed of dog. And if they are cared for and brought up correctly I think a Staff is an amazing addition to any household.
rodders666
rodders666

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Baxter
Dog(s) Ages : 11months

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Apr 20 2012, 18:44

rodders666 wrote:
People need to do their homework before getting any type of dog, but after living with Baxter for 9 months now I wouldn't have any other breed of dog. And if they are cared for and brought up correctly I think a Staff is an amazing addition to any household.

Couldn't agree more thumbs up
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopDogg Tue May 08 2012, 22:03

I have just recently purchesd another pup my male is a pure breed as i have seen the mother and father and seen the mother through pregnancy my pup the bitch we think she is pure by the look of her but arent sure as she seems to have long legs when can u usually tell if there pure or not??wouldnt change her for the world tho Big Grin
SnoopDogg
SnoopDogg

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Snoop,Lilly
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr5month,14weeks
Dog Gender(s) : male and female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 08 2012, 22:15

SnoopDogg wrote:I have just recently purchesd another pup my male is a pure breed as i have seen the mother and father and seen the mother through pregnancy my pup the bitch we think she is pure by the look of her but arent sure as she seems to have long legs when can u usually tell if there pure or not??wouldnt change her for the world tho Big Grin

If you don't have papers then you can never really be certain, I'm afraid.

However, if you've seen the parents & they are both staffords then your pup should grow up to look similar in build to them.

Long legs don't have anything to do with whether or not a dog is pure bred - all pups grow at different rates, normally upwards for the first 18 months or so (giving the 'leggy' or 'teenager-ish' look) & then outwards for the next 18 months or so!

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopDogg Wed May 09 2012, 10:35

cheers for the info after the 18 months is that when they will start to fill out?
SnoopDogg
SnoopDogg

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Snoop,Lilly
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr5month,14weeks
Dog Gender(s) : male and female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next