ALSO need help with other things!

2 posters

Go down

ALSO need help with other things! Empty ALSO need help with other things!

Post by kenziie Mon Sep 12 2011, 20:27

i need some hellp with potty training and the nipping and also make her come when i call for her
kenziie
kenziie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miya
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

ALSO need help with other things! Empty Re: ALSO need help with other things!

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2011, 20:32

Lots and Lots of training and most of all .. PERSISTENCE lol
Toilet training mine when they were tiny pups, i used training mats (not everyone likes them, i used them due to back garden been done out) which as they got used to using them, moved closer and closer to the back door untill finally id put them outside and they would start using the garden as there toilet (it takes time it dont happen over night and each dog is differant in how fast they learn Wink )
Nipping, i would either make a squeek noise like the litter to say ouch that hurt .. or if that didnt work i would turn my back and ignore till they calmed down, with no eye contact.
Recall, make sure you use the name alot when speaking to em' so that its drilled in haha .. and then when in the garden if you call and then when answered give a treat Smile
keeping at it is vital as it does take a lot of time Smile
Good luck Smile

Last edited by staffy-lover89 on Mon Sep 12 2011, 20:46; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2011, 20:34

Regards the potty training, we took billy outside every hour and said toilet to him and eventually this worked in the night time we had him in a cage with some paper, then when he was about 6 months old we took it out and he was dry at night as well, it takes patience.

The nipping requires a lot if patience as well, you have to say NO really loud and yelp, and turn around and ignore him, they don't like to be ignored and will learn that I'd they nip they will be ignored.

Recall takes a lot of practice with treats and eventually it works, but all of this takes time and lots of patience and you will get results.
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Sep 12 2011, 20:36

Training! They learn so so quickly! And its so rewarding too, here's a couple of links, might help Xx

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/basicsfornewpuppyowners.html

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/search?search_keywords=nipping

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/search?search_keywords=recall
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2011, 20:37

Toilet training sorry i don't like mats why train them to do it indoors then outdoors just take the dog out every half hour and use a word to command them to do their business i use the word busy. Do this consistently over a weekend and they should cotton on.Every time they do something outside plenty of fuss and a treat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2011, 20:43

OK.

Last one first. You need to make yourself more interesting than anything else around her! Start at home & every so often show her a treat & say "Come" (she'll probably already be coming as soon as she sees the treat!). As she comes towards you, take 2 steps backwards so she has a little bit further to come. Then as soon as she's with you, tell her she's a good girl & give her the treat. Build this up to bigger distances & try it in the garden.

Once she's 100% at home/garden, try outside, somewhere it's safe for her to be off lead, and no dogs around. Start with her on lead, same way as at home & build up the distance. Once you're confident she knows what to do, try off lead. Call her & make yourself irresistable - even if it means getting down on the ground & making a complete a*se of yourself!

It sometimes helps to have someone else with you who can call her if she goes the wrong way - that way, as long as she goes to one of you, she hasn't failed. Word of warning - NEVER tell her off when she comes back to you, even if it's taken you 30 minutes to get her to do so; you'll be telling her off for coming back!

Next. Potty training. Take her outside every hour, plus just after a meal/after a play period/after a sleep. When she does her business outside, give LOADS of praise (try using a trigger word like "Wee!") and treat her. If she has an accident inside, don't tell her off (she doesn't do it deliberately), just put her gently outside & clear up the mess without a word. She'll soon realise that going outside = praise & fuss, going inside= being ignored.

Last. Nipping. Every time she nips, tell her "No!", immediately stop all play & turn away from her. Don't even look at her. Once she calms down you can give her quiet & gentle praise. If she carries on - repeat. If she still carries on, don't say a word, just pick her up & put her in her bed (if she'll stay) or put her from the room for a couple of minutes. Once she's calm, you can let her back in & gently praise her. It may take a few days to sink in, but she will get the idea & it'll begin to get better.

Back to top Go down

Post by kenziie Mon Sep 12 2011, 20:53

Thank you all very much for your help i will upload some pictures of Miya soon, Thank you for all your advice
kenziie
kenziie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2011, 20:57

She looks really sweet in your avatar!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2011, 21:12

The only think I can add is that if she has an accident indoors make sure to clean the area thoroughly so the smell is gone and she won't be attracted to the spot.

Back to top Go down

Post by kenziie Mon Sep 12 2011, 21:55

yeah i do that stright away but she kinda finds another spot and she is a little snake lol
kenziie
kenziie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2011, 22:43

we used training mats. we had one at every door way. when he got used to one we would leave it a while and take that one a way so he would have to go to the other room the that one would get moved closer to the door untill the only mat was at the back door then we started taking the matt outside and leaving just outside the door with the door open all the time and he soon got used to going out. now he sits by the door and sometimes cries if he knows you cant see him. takes time patience and a lot of disinfectant but they get the message. nipping and reall are part of the trianing. check out a trianing club or centre near you. there are 3 my pet stop centres they are washington, newcastle way i think, manchester and leeds if your near any of these check them out for trianing they are good and resonably priced.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2011, 23:58

she will learn in time, remember she is only a baby .. Everything is still kind of new to her, and all dogs learn at differant rates and in different ways, she will get there but just keep at it and you will get there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down