All the things..!

5 posters

Go down

All the things..! Empty All the things..!

Post by TexMex Wed Apr 27 2016, 19:10

It's been a mad week or so! Had friends staying over, which Tex loved, so I haven't been able to update you guys! I'll break it down as best i can!

1) so after we had some success with meeting dogs on our first group walk, and again at chatsworth house. Texas has gone from strength to strength. I can now walk her passed most dogs without her even looking at them. The dogs she does shout at all seem to have a clear reason for (i.e staring at her for a long time, lunging at her, or shouting at her first) which is much easier to work with. I'm so very pleased with her progress. It was always my goal just to get her to be able to walk passed dogs without reacting, and we've suddenly reached that - now we just have to maintain this level or improve it and try not to take steps backwards

2) Some of the dogs we've seen she's actually been very friendly towards. We've continued to use the "who's that then" prompt. Which works, she wags her bum at them all friendly, then she has a moment where she realises she doesn't know them and her tail goes between her legs but she still interacts, just shyly. And she has tried to play with one or two dogs. She seems much more sure of herself at them minute

3) When she does have a bad reaction to a dog. It feels much more controllable. By which I mean, previously once she reached a state of "flipping out" which would be a very quick turn, she was impossible to reach. It was a case of keeping her away and waiting until the other dog had passed. However, at the minute she's not lunging at much as she used to, and whilst she may make a LOT of noise, we can call to her to "walk on", or "leave it" and we reach her and she listens!!

4) Speaking of being in control of herself, we went on another walk with her friend Rory, and Rory's little brother, Otter who is now only 14 weeks. Texas does NOT have a history of being good with puppies. For the most part she would ignore Otter was even there - he doesn't interest her. In itself ignorance of other dogs is an improvement over her usual negative reactions. However, Otter being a puppy wanted more attention and he nipped her very hard on the bum. Tex told him off but she did not lose self-control. She pushed him onto his back and growled a little but immediately let him back up. She was muzzled but both me and Otter's owner agreed that it didn't even look like she made to bite him. It was just a normal adultdog/puppydog telling off behaviour. Which is a thing to be pleased about

5) I still take such issue with people letting their dogs get so up close and personal with her, even when shes clearly leaded and muzzled. It puts so much pressure on her to behave - I'm not naive, she's doing well at the minute but that could change back again. The other day we were approached by about 8 dogs. They were all incredibly lovely dogs and Tex was on lead and was ok to greet one of them, but she was soon mobbed and very uncomfortable. I'm very proud that she didn't freak out, but I would've been annoyed if she felt like she had to defend herself because the situation was avoidable if other dogs were under control. But i suppose no harm no foul

6) FINALLY, speaking of others being in control. My partner, Stefano, was walking Tex the other day. She was muzzled and she walked right by a shih tzu with no reaction (shes getting VERY chill around smaller dogs - its practically a miracle!) When little shih tzu decides its hard and has a go at her. Texas takes a dislike to this and made moves to retaliate, but Stefano had her under control and she got no where near. However the owner of the shih tzu then felt in necessary to threaten Tex with his walking stick, and tell Stefano that he WAS going to hit her with it. Why?! It wouldn't be the first time, she's been hit with sticks and kicked and all sorts before. And oddly enough its rarely her fault!! It usually happens when off-lead dogs approach us, and shes on lead and has "defended" herself, so the other owner has come over, hit her in some way and "rescued" their little pooch. I was fuming when i found out about this latest one. I'm never going to think bad of a person who has a dog that isn't good with others, how could I? But its frustrating when she's always blamed for negative interactions even when its not her fault. And why is it ok to abuse my dog just because shes a staff. i don't know

So that's it now. We're all caught up with all my rambles about Texas. We're having a nice calm evening now away from the stresses of it all. I sound pretty ranty but actually I feel wonderful at the minute. She's completely oblivious to my pride in her. She's come on leaps and bounds this month and its incredible. She's cuddling me tightly though because she accidentally nipped me in a game of tug and when i said "OW!" she immediately started kissing me all over very concerned Laughing
TexMex
TexMex
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Texas
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 19

http://instagram.com/TexMexOmalley

Back to top Go down

All the things..! Empty Re: All the things..!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27 2016, 20:37

I love reading about your progress, Em! Tex is such a good girl and your pride is justified.

Keep the updates coming!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Wed Apr 27 2016, 21:33

I'm so happy for you. Tex is doing amazing and it's down to you being so good with her.

It's lovely to hear such a positive outcome!

What it's wrong with people, how could anyone threaten to hit a dog, especially when she was doing nothing wrong!

Well done Tex!

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

All the things..! B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Thu Apr 28 2016, 15:29

bless you and well done Smile

All the things..! B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Apr 28 2016, 19:54

Wow, sounds like you're both getting on great. Well done Em, oh and you too Tex Big Grin

All the things..! B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by TwoSocks Fri May 06 2016, 22:39

Not been online lately but catching up tonight and it's brilliant to read about your updates. Tex has made such leaps forward in her "courageous restraint" Smile
TwoSocks
TwoSocks
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
All the things..! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Una
Dog(s) Ages : 02/05/2015
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down