Help with a few things please

2 posters

Go down

Help with a few things please Empty Help with a few things please

Post by Beckyferg90 Sun Sep 08 2013, 21:28

Rio is 5 months next week and there's a few things I struggle with training! Like meeting other dogs he gets really excited and wants to jump up at them and play! I want him to calm down and wait for a command! Also he chases cat round house :/ will they get use to each other soon! So he is very snappy at the moment and want to discourage this! If anyone has any advice I would be grateful Smile thanks becky
Beckyferg90
Beckyferg90
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Rio
Dog(s) Ages : 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help with a few things please Empty Re: Help with a few things please

Post by janey Sun Sep 08 2013, 21:40

How are you introducing other dogs? Keeping them on lead for now and using a treat and teaching the wait command works, its an important one to learn at that age.

As for small furies, Moo would rather eat them so no help there! Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08 2013, 21:41

Beckyferg90 wrote: Like meeting other dogs he gets really excited and wants to jump up at them and play! I want him to calm down and wait for a command!
Teach him the "Watch" command so that he pays attention to you any time there's a dog near. Then, when he's calm let him greet the other dog as calmly as possible before letting him off lead to play. As a puppy, he'll probably find it difficult to control his exuberance but as long as he listens at least a little bit it'll help!

Beckyferg90 wrote:Also he chases cat round house :/ will they get use to each other soon!
Do you have a baby gate that you can fix up so that the cat can escape somwhere safe & get a bit of peace?

They will get used to each other eventually, but it might not be until Rio's a little more mature.

Beckyferg90 wrote: So he is very snappy at the moment and want to discourage this! If anyone has any advice I would be grateful :)thanks becky
What do you do at the moment if he nips/snaps?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down