when we get Russell a playmate

2 posters

Go down

when we get Russell a playmate Empty when we get Russell a playmate

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 02:36

hey guys,
Eventually my OH and I plan to get a play mate for Russell so he isn't alone throughout the day while we work, just after some advice, I know we should probably get a female dog, so looking into that, we are not necessarily getting another Staffy either:

-are there any breeds not compatibal with a staff? or does it depend on the training?

-how old should Russell be before we get another dog? (we may rescue so not necessarily a puppy)

also, I have been looking into rescuing as reading on here I have become more of a pro-rescue person and would rather give a home to a dog who really needs it. but i have reservations...
we have rescued one dog before... Bonnie (corgi cross) and she has kind of put me off rescuing, we got her about 3yo and she is a good dog, fairly well behaved and not nasty or anything, I just don't like her much at all, I never really bonded with her and she has such an over the top needy personality that we have never been able to stop.

I'm just worried that if I get another rescue I am not going to bond like I have with teh dogs we got from pups... I also worry about the habits and problems rescue dogs might already have when they come.
its something i really need to think about any ways.

Back to top Go down

when we get Russell a playmate Empty Re: when we get Russell a playmate

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 15:14

Aslong as you train your dogs, a staffy can live with anydog, ive seen people who own staffys also own breeds like chihuahua's, westie's, Rotties etc etc the list go's on, its all about the training etc.
Usually said that your dog should reach atleast the age of 1 first HOWEVER i had my skye when vinnie was 10months old, and they are perfectly fine, some people have had it younger and no problems, but you do have the training of two dog's then, 1year old dogs should know the basic's at least, but vinnie knew everything he needed to know and skye learnt of him too.

My last staffy was a rescue, when we chose him he had:-
*hematoma (unsure on spelling) in his one ear
*underweight
*infected tail
*dog aggression
After he came home, he had the sweetest personality!!, he was amazing!, after training his dog aggression became less hardcore and with the use of restraint i.e muzzle, short lead, harness he didnt really pay attention to dogs as he knew he couldnt do anything (along with training)
His tail was amputated, he was castrated, we fed him up and he become the most amazing dog i have ever owned! (aswell as my current 2)
Rescue dogs are amazing, they have so much love to give!.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 15:19

I got my last dog from the Sandy Creek Dog Home in South Australia. He was a young corgi/samoyd and all they could tell me was he was found wandering the streets. Well he was the best dog, and I loved him so much.. I guess it is just the luck of the draw how many emotional and other problems a rescue dog might come with....
Regarding the age.. I don't know the best age, we only got Winston because Jethro is getting along in years now ( don't even want to think about that! Sad Crying or Very sad ) and we couldn't imagine our life without a doggie to love...but I have to admit Winston has picked up on alot of Jethro's habits..luckily mostly all the good ones!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Aug 28 2011, 15:23

I've never owned 2 dogs, but Moo is a rescue, she had 3 homes b4 me, (kept giving her back because she made funny noises!!) and she is the most special girl ever. Got her at 8-10mnths ish and we have bonded fine. No behavioural problems, couldn't have wished for a better dog. I will always reccomened rehoming. Good luck in all your reaserch and finally your search Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 15:26

janey wrote:I've never owned 2 dogs, but Moo is a rescue, she had 3 homes b4 me, (kept giving her back because she made funny noises!!)

What a stupid excuse for handing a dog back in!, some people are pathetic! .. there is a good side tho', she ended up in your care, in a loving home where she can make as many noises as she likes Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Aug 28 2011, 15:28

Tell me about it, what Staffy doesn't make funny noises!?!? Thanks Kelly Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 15:29

i no right? .. Diesel made noises that loud we had to turn the tv up constantly haha!.
Your welcome Big Grin x

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Aug 28 2011, 23:16

Awww im sure when you see that special face you will know instantly that shes coming home with you. well done for rescuing Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 01:48

its good to hear rescue success stories.
I don't think I could handle a dog that was dog aggressive at all, as one of my favorite passtimes is watching doggies interact with each other!!

I haven't spoken to my OH but if he agrees I think we will rescue when we get another one. might go for a young dog though, under a year, I just prefer the idea of having one from a younger age.

I think we will wait till Russell is at least a year, so March next year I guess we're searching! hehe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down