Advice needed on potential playmate

2 posters

Go down

Advice needed on potential playmate Empty Advice needed on potential playmate

Post by MeghanB26 Sun Oct 06 2013, 11:39

Hello, I have a blue brindle bitch called Sugar, almost two, unspayed. She is very playful and thinks she's a baby but gets very bored while everyone is out during the day and this leads to her being destructive (chewing the stairs, knocking down coats and ripping them, total annihilation of two soft beds so far). I got a cat a year ago and they get on really well but I am starting to think she would have better company in another dog. I would most likely get another staff as her playmate can't be bigger than her as she came first and also needs to be robust. Ideally I would get a young puppy.
My question is whether it would be better to get a boy or girl? I've not had a boy before so am unsure what their temperament is like. But I've read that two females may fight? But that a male won't attack a female? Sugar isn't a ferocious dog at all, she's a softie and frankly, a bit of an idiot bless her! She's a bundle of silliness that craves attention. I think having another dog would cAlm her down as she is very scanty made excitable and I think it would make her time we are not at home happier.
Does anyone have any advice they can offer? My partner read that two females can potentially fight to the death Sad

Thanks x

MeghanB26
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice needed on potential playmate Empty Re: Advice needed on potential playmate

Post by Kathy Sun Oct 06 2013, 11:46

If you were to get a male would he be neutered ?

How much exercise does Sugar get before she is left alone ?

Leaving a young puppy and an older dog alone may cause some issues, would he be kept in a separate area of your home ?

A young puppy will need someone to be home for the first few months at the very least is this possible ?

Just a few questions to ask yourself to get started, I'm sure there will be more shortly.

Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Advice needed on potential playmate Empty Re: Advice needed on potential playmate

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06 2013, 11:56

I would be asking yourself the reason for the destructiveness before you think about getting a mate , how long is she left alone for ?? and as Kathy asks , how much exercise before you leave her ??

Back to top Go down

Post by MeghanB26 Sun Oct 06 2013, 12:11

Lot's to think about. Sugar has a 30 min run around a big garden in the morning and then about an hour's walk in the early evening(more of a run around a huge public field playing fetch). I am out of the house for 8 hrs in between tho for work and school runs.
I guess no, I can't be home for months with a puppy like I was with Sugar until she was a year old. I am worried about getting a staff around a year tho as you can never be sure what type of upbringing they've had and I can't risk the safety of my children if it's been brought up badly.
If I were to have a male yes I would have it neutered. I think Sugar will be spayed this year now.
The animals could be separated during the getting to know each other process although the long term idea is to provide SugAr with company.
Sugar has got less destructive I do have to be careful with what I leave in the area she's kept in while out x

MeghanB26

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06 2013, 12:18

Well to be honest she isn't getting enough exercise and this is the root of your problem, if you were to get another dog you would be in the same boat with double the problems.

1) You need to fit a long morning walk in ( an hour at least ?? ) to at least get her a bit tired before you go out . As she is being left she will get much more benefit from an early walk than a late one but ideally she needs both
2) 8 hours is a long time to leave her on a regular basis , do you have anyone that can come in and let her out for a run or better still take her for a walk ?? , maybe employ the services of a dog walker
3) One other point what do you feed her ?? Not going to remove issues as in 1) and 2) but may be a further source of hyperactivity

Back to top Go down

Post by MeghanB26 Sun Oct 06 2013, 13:18

Hi, I can see how an early walk would benefit her but with two children I can't do this. I don't have anyone to walk her and employing a dog walker would mean giving them keys to the house which I'm uneasy about. I've been told by several people with two dogs that they will play together in the garden vivaciously and wear themselves out which I thought would be perfect before leaving  for work and then the usual hours evening run together.
Re diet I'm actually in the process of changing it after a lengthy chat with Sugars groomer. I'm going to cut out her biscuits (usually bakers) completely as they're full of Sugar and wheat. I'm putting her back on to James wellbeloved pouches rather than bakers as there's no sugar, soy or additives. I've also started to give her raw eggs to help with her coat and digestion and more fruit and veg. Also raw chicken wings to help with her teeth cleaning and diet (these won't splinter as they're raw). So I've just started a diet overhaul. She's not unhealthy in any way and has a lovely figure for a staff I just think a more natural approach will be better for her in the long run. She's loving it all too Smile
Thanks for all the advice so far xx

MeghanB26

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Oct 06 2013, 13:26

I would also advize you to stop feeding Bakers, it is full of additives and rubbish tbh. Find a good quality food James Welbeloved it a good one and stick with it. Do you feed the dry kibble ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MeghanB26 Sun Oct 06 2013, 13:48

Yep pouches of James wellness purchased already :)What do you mean by dry kibble? I was feeding her tinned meat and biscuits but I've decided to cut out biscuits completely x

MeghanB26

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Oct 06 2013, 13:53

Dry kibble is a dried dog food which is sold by the kilo etc. It contains far less water than tinned food or pouches.

Advice needed on potential playmate Kibble
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06 2013, 15:23

See how she is when you get her diet sorted , hopefully less destructive with less additives in her , you can try other things too like putting her breakfast kibble in a kong and freezing it to occupy her a bit longer , maybe some chew toys , stag bar etc to occupy her .
I would seriously avoid any thoughts of getting another dog when you are having difficulty sorting out a regime for this one , it wouldn't be fair on you or them.
Have another think about the dog walker though as you will find they have references etc .
Has she always been on her own 8 hours a day or is this a new thing as the kids have started school etc

Back to top Go down

Post by MeghanB26 Sun Oct 06 2013, 16:44

I do have a Kong although I tend to use it for treats not meals. So kibble is different from biscuits? I had to look up what a stag bar was but it looks good so I'll get one of those too.
She had me at home for her first year bar doing the school runs, but even during this time I came home a few times to find the bin emptied across the kitchen floor, the wallpaper ripped off the walls, the cat pedestal in pieces. She was very difficult to toilet train - someone I knew told me to puppy pad train her. Big mistake. I just put it down to her being a puppy and upset that I was out. She didn't get bad when I went back to work, if anything she's better. I think I'm going to treat her to some new play things tho. I'm having carpet laid tomorrow in the hallway/ stairs/ landing which is where she stays when I'm out. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about her pulling it up x

MeghanB26

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06 2013, 18:55

Hope things go ok for you and maybe you see a change on her diet change

Back to top Go down

Post by MeghanB26 Mon Oct 07 2013, 09:58

Thank you for the advice x

MeghanB26

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down