Puppy going for his playmate

Go down

Puppy going for his playmate Empty Puppy going for his playmate

Post by Pestey Thu May 09 2013, 21:39

Hello, our boy is 16 weeks old and a lively character to boot. over the last couple of weeks he's taking a turn for the worse with his EBT playmate.

His playmate is 3 years old and is a bitch, she's really timid and maybe a bit of a tease. the main problem we have is that he's become very nippy towards her, at first we thought it was typical play nip around the face and neck but now he just wont let her be.

Lola (the ebt) has a lot of power behind her should she want to use it and the last thing we want is the worst thing (fighting and vet bills) but we really want to break this problem as we want to get him a older friend (a bitch but not for breeding)

One thing that has come into my mind is possible loneliness from other pooches, at home he's fine and well behaved but as soon as he sees his play mate he goes bonkers but not aggressive, but more hyperactive bonkers, could it be all this pent up energy from wanting to play with other dogs coming out in one hit?, Or could it be something a tad more serious...... hopefully not.

I have read the topic on puppy biting but that does not seem to answer my specific problem

anyways, I thank you all in advance for any help Wink

Pestey
Pestey
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 4months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Puppy going for his playmate Empty Re: Puppy going for his playmate

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 21:45

Staffords play hard, I'm afraid!

Don't worry too much about Lola. If she's had enough she'll tell him in no uncertain terms!

If you feel it's getting overly rough, though, by all means step in & seperate them until he's calm again. If necessary keep him on a long training lead so that you have something to grab should you need to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 21:46

I shouldn't think at his age it's anything other than playing. They can be nuisances and not know when to quit; Loki got told off a good few times from other dogs because he was constantly jumping all over them and trying to play. He won't let her be because he's very playful, so whenever Lola looks like she's had enough, separate them for a bit so Diesel can calm down and eventually learn that going over-the-top means the playtime stops. It isn't anything more serious than playfulness and a lack of manners. He's a puppy, he doesn't understand doggy etiquette and he'll need to learn it, until then he'll be an annoying pest to older dogs Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 21:47

Tommy really terrorised Tilly for the first few months of his life here , staffy play

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 01:44

Staffies are the biggest softies,, Until they play Laughing They are sooo rough and are often misjudged as attacking when it is just play.. Lola will put him in his place if she feels the need to don't worry about that Wink But if you think she has had enough then remove him and stop play until he calms down..

He looks gorgeous by the way Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 02:41

They do play on the rough side which can take some getting used to and at his age he is still learning acceptable behaviour with other dogs. If you feel things are getting out of hand than just seperate them and give him some time to calm down. Here's a link that will help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dog_body_language

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 08:07

I'm sure once he's learnt some skills & manners he'll settle down, he's still very much a baby Smile good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 08:48

Yea as said above very typical behaviour, especially with a young male dog. As long as you are abel to break it up when you start to feel uncomortable it's fine. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down