Train American Staff pup to ignore cats?

2 posters

Go down

Train American Staff pup to ignore cats? Empty Train American Staff pup to ignore cats?

Post by ClioThor Thu Jan 18 2024, 10:42

Hi,
We are in the process of adopting and American Stanford/Stafford ( live in Spain and race says "American Blue" but everyone tells me he is an American Stanford). He is 7 mths. He seems to have an amazing temperment. We have 2 cats ( female - 11 and very grumpy + male - 5 spends a lot of time outside).

Thor the new pup keeps trying to play but of course he freaks them out when he approaches. I read that we should reward him when he ignores them. We are kind of keeping them apart at the moment but I don't think that is sustainable. Any tips from anyone who has been through this?

Thanks, ClioThor

ClioThor
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Your Country : Australia
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Train American Staff pup to ignore cats? Empty Re: Train American Staff pup to ignore cats?

Post by Caryll2 Thu Jan 18 2024, 18:07

Hi there & welcome.

I think the best way is to introduce barriers. Maybe a child gate that the cats can shoot through but your dog has to 'think about'.

Your cats were there first & must be given the chance to accept your dog on their terms.

Given time and patience both will be able to accept the other!

P.S. I know this might sound ridiculous, but I have no idea what a Stanford is? Do you mean an American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff)?
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Train American Staff pup to ignore cats? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down