Is it possible to train an older staff!

+4
dazoldo
m4rkg
Rachel33
Kathy
8 posters

Go down

Is it possible to train an older staff! Empty Is it possible to train an older staff!

Post by m4rkg Mon Feb 03 2014, 14:44

Hi I'm wondering if it would possible to train an older staffie that doesn't like dogs to like dogs, she is a bitch just turned 7, and my boy is 12weeks is there anyway I could train her to get on with him or is there no chance? Sad
m4rkg
m4rkg
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Spud
Dog(s) Ages : 7months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to train an older staff! Empty Re: Is it possible to train an older staff!

Post by Kathy Mon Feb 03 2014, 14:56

How does the bitch get along with other dogs in general, when you are out on walks etc. ?

Did you introduce them originally on neutral ground before bringing the puppy home ? If so how did they get on then ?
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to train an older staff! Empty Re: Is it possible to train an older staff!

Post by m4rkg Mon Feb 03 2014, 15:03

She is/was my other staffie but no longer lives with me, they haven't met yet and I know I'd have to do it neutral ground as Ellie would still class it as her house if I done it my house, she was ok when out walks so long as the dogs didn't come near her, she could just walk past no problem, but she would have a wee sniff then show aggression if one got near her, may have been me also as I didn't want her fighting so I may have hindered it, but I'd like them to be friends 'just incase' Smile
m4rkg
m4rkg

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03 2014, 15:07

Yes on neutral ground first worth a go  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Feb 03 2014, 15:37

Depends what kind of aggression it is really, fear or general dislike? Is it very likely that she will be coming back to live with you?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by m4rkg Mon Feb 03 2014, 15:44

Probably not the way things are looking but I've always had contact with her, wee had split for a year before and I used to go take her walks when I moved back to my mums, but I'm alone now so hence I got spud, n he's never leaving no matter what Big Grin
m4rkg
m4rkg

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dazoldo Mon Feb 03 2014, 16:04

i managed to get my bitch tessa and my moms missy together but it did take time. both were rescue dogs (tessa about 3 years and missy about 18 months) and both were really bad with other dogs. it involved me and my missus driving to my moms once a week with tessa and walking both of them round the local park which is across the the road from my moms house. after about 3 months we just walked them both into my moms house when we got back from the park and they have been best friends since. tessa is a lot bigger than missy and treats her like her puppy i'm sure. it can be done but it takes time and patience.

dazoldo
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : tessa
Dog(s) Ages : around 4 we think
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Feb 03 2014, 16:11

agree with the above post,it might time and alot of patience,lead walk them together to begin with and take it from there,the older dog might take to the pup easier than another adult,just be careful and watch how they get on,let us know how it goes  Smile 
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by m4rkg Mon Feb 03 2014, 16:41

Yeah that's why a was wanting to introduce them when he's still a puppy as she might mother him, may never happen but I've requested lol they meet soon, n then a weekly thing would be good as by the looks of things spud is going to be bigger than Ellie when fully grown Big Grin
m4rkg
m4rkg

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Feb 04 2014, 21:14

I was very unsure of letting my Flo meet my brother in laws 2 Bloodhounds. Staffy's as we all know either take a liking or an instant disliking and as it happens walked Flo straight into their domain !

Flo is 7 ish and knows her own mind (a real character) and has had the odd run in whilst out in the local park. Nothing serious though.

At first the elder bloodhound just took a sniff whilst Flo stood there looking skyward at her. The other bloodhound is much younger and really just a naughty teenager. He pestered Flo for a bit to which she snapped and I thought it could all kick off.

My brother in law is really laid back and said to leave the to it and they will learn the order of the pack. Within 5 mins they were all quite happily ignoring each other.

We recently left her in the company of the 2 bloodhounds for 2 weeks whilst on holiday which was only the third time they had met. There was no trouble at all after the initial get off from Flo.

I am sure you can definately teach old dogs as Flo now follows all the house rules ( ok they are her rules but rules is still rules )

I'm sure that if you introduce then slowly and just control the meeting without too much stress, then all will work out.

Good luck.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Is it possible to train an older staff! B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Feb 04 2014, 21:51

I think it depends really, I can pretty much guarantee Moo will get on with any other dog but she is crap when on a lead... x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by m4rkg Tue Feb 04 2014, 22:02

I think we me n the ex ma have been the problem as most problems occurred when on lead and had been reigned in a little so if we were stressed about it she probably felt threatened aswell mite try it off the lead, hopefully gonna introduce them soon, had a wee chat about it earlier, as my daughter still classes Ellie as her dog Big Grin she told me the other day she has 2dogs now Smile I really need to get pics of her on here aswell,
m4rkg
m4rkg

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Feb 05 2014, 07:48

I would note though that she should probably be muzzled initially if she's got a history of aggression and is going to be let off lead with a pup? I'd probably add a long line in the mix so that you do still have some form of lead control, even if it feels to her like she's off lead. Although the general rule is that a steady dog won't attack a pup, that doesn't always apply.

Biscuit is fear aggressive to unknown dogs, and although she's much better off lead I couldn't ever let her off straight away, she feels more confident if she's with me initially. No matter who the dog is, always walk her on lead with them, with no interaction before mixing them. She has successfully lived with 7 foster dogs since I've adopted her with no problems from her, but she would still go for an unknown dog that approaches her on walks and is always muzzled in public, for dog aggression as well as people aggression.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to train an older staff! Empty yes sometimes its easier to train an older dog sometimes

Post by Baby Girl Sat Feb 08 2014, 00:26

Big Grin 

Baby Girl
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down