Rescue staff and cats help

3 posters

Go down

Rescue staff and cats help Empty Rescue staff and cats help

Post by kimmerz87 Wed Jul 09 2014, 22:40

Hi, yesterday me and my husband rescued a lovely 6 year old staffy from battersea, she was cat tested at the shelter and passed, we got her home, and she seems very interested in the cats, because we don't know her well we are unsure if she wants to play, just say hello or wanting to harm them, she does not growl at them or snarl but she does wrinkle up her forehead and go after them, we grab her collar instantly as we are unsure of what this means, her report from the cat test says she may need some work and introducing to the cats slowly but was respectful after the initial greet. can anyone give us some advice on the best way to handle this, I have been trying to give her treats when she is in the room with the cats and ignores them and shout at her if she lunges and we have to grab her collar, is this a good way of doing it? it has only been about 28 hours since they first met, am I just being a bit over paranoid? and it's just a time thing? please help. our last dog was a chihuahua who passed age 16 so was a little old man who slept a lot and didn't even notice the cats.

kimmerz87
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Rescue staff and cats help Empty Re: Rescue staff and cats help

Post by zaph Thu Jul 10 2014, 10:46

I don't have any cats, allergic to them and not really a cat person but what I would suggest is a cat box as a first line of defence for the cat. Put the cat into it and allow your dog to sniff around it, maybe leave the lead on your dog for your own piece of mind. If the dog responds well then treat her if she is too interested or aggressive try to call her away with treats and if that doesn’t work physically remove her. Don't shout, threaten or slap it will not work and just makes it likely you will get bitten. Remember being calm works wonders if you are excited or anxious it will key your dog into prey/protect mode and you would be just as well leaving it until you can be calm. If you are a naturally anxious person then get someone calm to do it.

Good luck and be patient.
zaph
zaph
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, Maggie.
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Rescue staff and cats help Empty Re: Rescue staff and cats help

Post by Kathy Thu Jul 10 2014, 20:00

I have never had cats as I'm more of a dog person. I wouldn't recommend grabbing the dogs collar but rather pop the lead on as said above.

If you are unsure you could always give Battersea a quick call or drop them an email to explain what is happening, I'm sure they could offer some further advice.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down