Puppy growling and biting help

+2
Caryll2
Lyndsey0
6 posters

Go down

Puppy growling and biting help  Empty Puppy growling and biting help

Post by Lyndsey0 Fri Jul 22 2022, 13:10

Hi all, I’m brand new to this group and wondered if anyone could offer some advice! I have got an 11 wk old staffy boy. He beautiful and learning fast. He does however snarl, growl and bite me. It looks pretty vicious and he’s intent on biting me when he gets like this. It seems to happen most when he gets on the sofa or if I am on the floor. He also growls if I pick him up sometimes, mainly when I’m taking him off of a plant he wanted to eat! I’ve read that it might be okay but his teeth are showing and he doesn’t look like he’s playing! Does anyone one if I should be worried about this and what I can do about it? Thanks in advance from a concerned owner!
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy growling and biting help  Empty Re: Puppy growling and biting help

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Jul 23 2022, 17:32

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Puppy growling and biting help  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Puppy growling and biting help  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Puppy growling and biting help  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Puppy growling and biting help  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Puppy growling and biting help  Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Puppy growling and biting help  Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Puppy growling and biting help  Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Puppy growling and biting help  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Jul 23 2022, 17:47

Congratulations on your new family member but oh, sounds like he’s being a bit testing at times !

Never had that experience with my girls but my gut feeling tells me that this isn’t really desirable behaviour for your boy to have.

Firstly I would suggest that you try to be a bit more anticipative of his environment. He should not be on the sofa at his age and maybe try to put the plants a bit more out of reach ?
Then I wonder if he has this behaviour when he’s tired, like getting grouchy ? At that age he’s still a baby and needs his beauty sleep. We sometimes need to tell them when it’s time out.

Is he getting enough and quality play time with you ?
The situations you describe are when he’s being “told off” but maybe you could try to turn every situation into a positive challenge for him.
Difficult to explain but instead of telling him off for trying to eat the plant, ask him to come to you and sit for a reward (treat, toy, cuddle, your choice). This also goes with the anticipation part for you.

You can also ask your vet’s advice when you take him for his booster vaccination in a week’s time Smile

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Sun Jul 24 2022, 08:55

What's his behaviour like in general? Does he have a routine? As Nifty says, pups need a LOT of sleep but sometimes they can't wind down on their own & that's where a crate or a playpen can help.

Nipping & growling is quite normal at his age, but showing his teeth a little less so. I would say that he's wanting his own way & that's how he's decided he's going to do it! Aggression in pups is very very rare, so I doubt that's it.

I would also agree with offering a swap (a treat instead of the plant) & teaching him "leave" or "drop" at the same time  but that may not work with the sofa because it will become a game & a 'possession'. By all means lure him off with a treat (again, teaching the trigger word "off" or whatever you want to use) but then turn it into a training session. Try not to react (wary/scared/angry etc) because he'll pick up on your emotions and react.

Is he teething?

We've had to re-learn a lot with our current dog because he has the canine equivalent of ADHD (Canine Hyperkinesis) and can't cope with anything stressful! Each dog is different & respond differently to training methods, so I'm sure there will be something we can suggest that will work!
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Puppy growling and biting help  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Thu Jul 28 2022, 21:25

Thank you both so much for the advice and for taking time to help! Sorry for the delay, I’ve been having issues logging in but all sorted now. I am doing my best to With him and introducing some of the changes you suggested which have been helpful, Bit of an update, we went to his first puppy class and he started the snarling, snapping thing when he was on the lead and another puppy came over. The trainer was very concerned and said we need to do some work with him to try and help him otherwise it will be a big issue. She is very experienced with bull breeds and there were other ones in the class. She suspects he was handled badly by the breeders children or someone there and it’s causing this behaviour. I’m so worried about him. Do you think this is something we can help him with and any tips would be more than appreciated!!
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Thu Jul 28 2022, 22:38

Yes, you absolutely can do something. How many dogs were in the class - were they allowed to just approach willy nilly? Was the class controlled & did the trainer give you any tips?
Caryll2
Caryll2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Thu Jul 28 2022, 22:39

Yes, you absolutely can do something. How many dogs were in the class - were they allowed to just approach willy nilly? Was the class controlled & did the trainer give you any tips?
Caryll2
Caryll2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Fri Jul 29 2022, 10:13

Thank-you for your reply. The class was controlled. The dogs weren’t allowed to approached until the end of the class when one dog at a time walked around the circle. Not approaching just kind of at a distance. The trainer said we have to stop picking him up which we never did often anyway. No longer have a collar and instead to try a harness and to feed him lots of treats whilst we put it on and allow him to wear it at home for short bursts before taking him out in it. It’s hard not picking him up as we will have to take him places in the car but maybe we will have to leave that for a while. She didn’t mention it but I’m thinking of changing his diet from raw to dry as I’ve read that may help.
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Fri Jul 29 2022, 10:35

I would tend to agree with the trainer - don't pick him up unless it's absolutely necessary. Listen to your dog & try to work with his insecurities, because that's probably what it is. If he has been hauled roughly here there & everywhere he may have taken a dislike to being picked up & it may take a while for him to realise that you are not the same as his previous owners!

I would also recommend a harness - one with a chest plate (like this one...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyein-Harness-Comfortable-Reflective-Training/dp/B09L4TRB78/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1HROV8LBVL64N&keywords=dog%2Bharness&qid=1659087028&sprefix=dog%2Bharness%2Caps%2C299&sr=8-16&th=1). The chest area is supported well so that pulling won't hurt, and the design leaves the should plates free to move properly. This one also has a front ring (to turn him if he pulls ahead - use a double ended lead & clip one on the front & one on the back) and a 'handle' on the back which can be very useful! You could even pick him up with the handle - not for long, but just to get him onto the back seat of your car for example. I use a Ruffwear one, but they are quite expensive & would probably be wasteful with a pup who will be growing very quickly! This is the one I use...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071VMDNKN/ref=twister_B08DCW4F49?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
Caryll2
Caryll2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Fri Jul 29 2022, 10:41

That’s so helpful!! Thanks a lot. We have bought him a harness but I think this one might be better so I’ll order one now. We stupidly thought that the fact that he had been handled by the children was a positive thing but that’s our naivety. I really wanted him to be able to spend some time with my 4 yr old nephew but he so so rough. I’m literally covered in bite marks and it draws blood and really hurts, he also doesn’t stop once he gets going. Not sure whether we need to keep them apart until we have at least got some semblance of control so that Bodhi doesn’t hurt him.
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Fri Jul 29 2022, 11:06

Oh, those puppy teeth are terrible, aren't they? Interactions between puppies and children can be so difficult. Your nephew, at 4 years old, is probably old enough to understand when you tell him to do or not to do something? If so, keep Bodhi on his lead and allow your nephew to quietly and gently approach with a favourite treat. Make Bodhi sit & tell him 'gently' (or similar) and allow him to take the treat.

That's it to start with! Next time, allow him to approach twice with treats, and maybe he can ask Bodhi to sit? Just build it up very, very gradually & I'm sure everything will eventually slot into place.

If Bodhi has had bad interactions with children he might assume that your nephew is also going to be nasty to him, so this way Bodhi can build up a calmer association with children in general.

It's always difficult to know what a dog has been through in its past, but it's rare that you can't counter it!
Caryll2
Caryll2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Fri Jul 29 2022, 12:30

Absolutely awful sharks teeth and I think I’m his fav thing to sink them in to!! 🤦🏼‍�That’s such helpful advice!! I feel I can really work with that. It’s hard managing other peoples expectations of what a puppy should be and do so they just think it’s ok to let them play and they think I’m being dramatic but I need to take control so it all goes well in the long run! This forum is seriously the best I’ve come across and really has the dogs well being at heart. Thanks so much. No doubt I’ll be back with more questions as i want to do the best I can for him 🐶😀
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Fri Jul 29 2022, 18:50

I definitely agree with Caryll.
In terms of harness, don’t buy an expensive one now as Bodhi will go up at least one size if not 2 when he’s adult.
My girl is 12 1/2 weeks and she wears this one (size S)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/rabbitgoo-Harness-Adjustable-Reflective-No-Choke/dp/B08DKLNJQP/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=QC5CRH67TPSD&keywords=rabbitgoo%2Bdog%2Bharness&qid=1659116133&sprefix=Rabbitgoo%2Caps%2C444&sr=8-3-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQU9LQTlVMFM1UVlRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTQ5NzU5M0ZYR042QTlRUFFGMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODE4OTM0M09DUkY1OVFQOVFONyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

A “Y” harness is what you need to look out for and steer clear of those “T” models like Julius which dogs can easily slip out of and which really pose problems with pressure over the shoulders.

Have you thought of getting Bodhi used to being manipulated again ?
Armed with lots of treats, touch ears, mouth, paws, belly, pull skin folds over his back and reward each time so he associates touch as being good experience.

One thing for the harness, my girl is wearing hers from time to time in the house and garden. Today I clipped a lead on and let her get used to the sensation of it trailing behind her and in her paws. Preparing for outings with long line Wink

Our pups are very similar ages so if I can share any ideas, please don’t hesitate Puppy growling and biting help  3198918699

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Sat Jul 30 2022, 14:39

Hey, thank-you! Your girl is beautiful bless her. So sweet!

Yes, we are stroking him whilst giving lots of praise and treats. Planning on getting a harness and letting him wear it for small bursts next wk in the house for a few days before taking him for a walk. I’m so looking forward to getting out and about more with him and I think he will love it.

How is your girl doing with the biting? I am struggling with this part! I try distraction and treats and times out but he just keeping going for it and my legs are cut to shreds 🤦🏼‍�🐶😬🤣
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Jul 30 2022, 18:08

Thank you for the compliment.
It’d be nice to see your boy, even if just a photo in your avatar Wink

For the harness for small bursts, I honestly leave one on here when she’s active in the garden/house and just take it off when she’s in her playpen to sleep. The hardest part will be putting his head through the harness to then lift the belly part to clip on either side. Once that’s mastered, you’ll see he’ll probably adapt quickly. We found the harness more comfortable than the collar which she would often itch.
At first, the harness is better off on the loose side than being tight. First impression being positive Wink

Biting praying  I can say that I’m very lucky and it’s not a problem.
Breeder did tell me she was the first for cuddles and licks rather than teeth.
Try to make sure that you have biting toys with different textures which should help. He’s probably teething so it’s not helping your problem.
Promise, it will get better !

One online trainer said that the best way to stop biting is to allow play when dog can bite (not too hard) and then train situation when they can and can’t bite. Theory is that they know they can play bite sometimes so it becomes less attractive all of the time thinking  Not had to try so can’t say tbh.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Jul 30 2022, 18:11

Just a thought but was he correctly weaned at at least 8 weeks old before you got him ?

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Sat Jul 30 2022, 19:51

I’ll upload a pic when I find out how 😊 He’s a handsome boy. Good tips re the harness!! You’re so lucky with a licker not a biter. He not very cuddly at all but he is started to come for affection more now. He’s so sweet when he first wakes up, all snuggled and licks and then 10
Mins in and the biting begins! 🤣😬 interesting point re the weaning. He was taken from his mum at 5 wks and left with his litter mates on food not milk… We thought this was unusual but some stuff on line says it’s ok? I’m not sure myself and feel like his bite inhibition isn’t as good as it should be as a result?
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Jul 30 2022, 20:13

Lyndsey0 wrote:interesting point re the weaning. He was taken from his mum at 5 wks and left with his litter mates on food not milk… We thought this was unusual but some stuff on line says it’s ok? I’m not sure myself and feel like his bite inhibition isn’t as good as it should be as a result?  

Aha ! That’s the problem !
Mum isn’t just for feeding but especially to teach canine codes.
Your boy does not appear to have been taught how to behave nor that certain limits exist.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Sat Jul 30 2022, 20:15

We did worry about that!! Is it possible to help him learn from us? His bite is so hard. Thanks the vet said it was excessive when she saw the state of me 😬
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Jul 30 2022, 20:36

Ooh, he’s absolutely gorgeous Love Struck

Yes, of course it will be possible to teach him but it just you have a handicap in that he should already have learnt this kind of thing.

Don’t suppose you have someone in your close family/friend bubble who has a very reliable and balanced adult dog who could help you with a bit of “dog sitting” to help teach him what life is from the canine point of view ?

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Sat Jul 30 2022, 20:43

Thank you! We do love him.

It’s upsetting that he didn’t get to learn and spend time with his mum bless him. We do have friends with good natured dogs.. We have a friend with a 6 month old staffy boy and another with an 8 year old calm female wwinarama and a 18 month old North American raccoon hound who’s lovely but lively. I’m sure they would be happy to help us
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Jul 30 2022, 20:51

I’d go for the 8yr old female first, just to set the record straight.
The others will be more like playmates rather than parenting contact.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Sat Jul 30 2022, 21:57

Right that’s what we will do! Thank you again , don’t know what we would have done without all the support 👌🏽😀
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Mon Aug 01 2022, 09:41

Lyndsey0 wrote: interesting point re the weaning. He was taken from his mum at 5 wks and left with his litter mates on food not milk… We thought this was unusual but some stuff on line says it’s ok? I’m not sure myself and feel like his bite inhibition isn’t as good as it should be as a result?  

The feeding solid food at 5 weeks is absolutely okay. Mum's removal is a little more problematical...she's not essential at that age, but she would be expected to 'step in' if the puppy play becomes too hard or a pup is being bullied. That way the pups get used to adult correction. Bite inhibition, however, is mainly learnt from siblings. Maybe the puppy 'pack' was a little uneven?
Caryll2
Caryll2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Wed Aug 03 2022, 14:12

Hi Cary, thanks for the reply. It’s good to know that he’s not missed out too much with mum being removed. The litter was made up of 2 girls and 2 boys. I planned on posting a bit of an update. I’ve implicated a lot of the advice above. We introduced Bodhi to Poppy, my friends 8 yr old wwieinrrama she barked at him a bit but was good with him. He’s been a lot better since! The biting is less often and we kind of can see it coming so it’s easier to handle. We’re taking him to a local staffy groups tonight too. It’s so lovely now he’s allowed out, it’s tempting to walk him more than the 15 mins allowed though! Thank you all so much for your great advice and support 🐶😃
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Wed Aug 03 2022, 14:13

Hi Cary, thanks for the reply. It’s good to know that he’s not missed out too much with mum being removed. The litter was made up of 2 girls and 2 boys. I planned on posting a bit of an update. I’ve implicated a lot of the advice above. We introduced Bodhi to Poppy, my friends 8 yr old wwieinrrama she barked at him a bit but was good with him. He’s been a lot better since! The biting is less often and we kind of can see it coming so it’s easier to handle. We’re taking him to a local staffy groups tonight too. It’s so lovely now he’s allowed out, it’s tempting to walk him more than the 15 mins allowed though! Thank you all so much for your great advice and support 🐶😃
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Aug 03 2022, 21:03

Thanks for the update.
Glad to hear you’re making progress Smile

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Thu Aug 04 2022, 08:45

Great to hear! Keep us posted.
Caryll2
Caryll2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Aug 15 2022, 12:27

Just wondering how you’re getting on with your boy ?
Lots of milestones already, I imagine Big Grin

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Mon Aug 22 2022, 16:58

Hey! Sorry for the late reply! Bodhi is doing really well. He’s not biting anywhere near as much. He’s also becoming more affectionate which is a relief! We took him to the coast for a few nights and he absolutely loved it. He ran on the beach and so much attention from people and other dogs which he really enjoyed. He’s been to 2 puppy classes so far and is doing great at them. He’s still weeing in the house, mainly when it’s raining as he hates going out in it the big softy!! How’s your girl getting on?
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Mon Aug 22 2022, 16:58

Hey! Sorry for the late reply! Bodhi is doing really well. He’s not biting anywhere near as much. He’s also becoming more affectionate which is a relief! We took him to the coast for a few nights and he absolutely loved it. He ran on the beach and so much attention from people and other dogs which he really enjoyed. He’s been to 2 puppy classes so far and is doing great at them. He’s still weeing in the house, mainly when it’s raining as he hates going out in it the big softy!! How’s your girl getting on?
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndsey0 Mon Aug 22 2022, 16:59

Ps, we also got him a lovely harness that was recommended and hes happy to wear it and he associates it will fun and walks. He looks fab in it too
Lyndsey0
Lyndsey0

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Tue Aug 23 2022, 12:53

Awww, sounds like it's all positives!
Caryll2
Caryll2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Aug 30 2022, 19:36

Sounding all good Smile
Must have been great to take him for a few days by the beach, what fun !

My girl is growing much too fast and now fully vaccinated, we’re trying to make the most of discovering the world.
She likes going for walks by the nearby lake and we went around the village last night too.
She’s cheeky and has a bit of a character so I need to be careful, especially with Opium who tends to be very clingy.

I do find it amusing that she mimics whoever she is with - calm when with Nifty but much higher energy when with Opium Laughing I do find that the girls have both really helped me with Tigress though, she’s almost the easiest of the 3. So far, so good Big Grin

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Wed Aug 31 2022, 15:55

Sounds like it's all going well now with the biting Big Grin Dogs always learn better from other dogs.
Katy was also taken from her litter at 5wks, not by me i might add! She was advertised as a 6wk old pup when I got her. Very clingy with me to start with then turned into the Tasmanian Devil Surprised We used to visit my brother in law with his then 9yr old westie bitch. She got told off a lot but eventually started to learn doggie manners. Even when she got to around 2yrs if we visited them she would growl at Katy & Katy would cower away even though she was 4 times her size Laughing
Katy is now teaching our friend's 18wk old Frenchie manners Smile

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Fri Nov 18 2022, 01:03

It's a natural thing, puppies bite... they are finding their way. I looked like a self harmer for sodding months. Jenc is right about dogs learning from other dogs, my lass learned from my boy and my exes cana corso looks up to both of them. funny to think three dogs cascade down from my lad, pretty proud of him to be honest, he is a good lad
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Andregarrido Mon Dec 18 2023, 08:59

Hi Lindsey,

We adopted a 9 weeks old staffy, who is now 13 weeks.
We did noticed a similar temperament to your puppy and we have been trying to address it as much as possible... We also have two cats, so definitely worried with the implications if our boy end up a bit aggressive =(

After over a year, since your post, how is he doing? =)
Any tips are welcome hehe

Andregarrido
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down