Jumping Biting and growling

2 posters

Go down

Jumping Biting and growling Empty Jumping Biting and growling

Post by Ayden-J Wed Aug 31 2011, 21:32

I posted before about this but it wasn't as bad.
Jett used to jump up and nip when he was younger and i put a stop to it.But now on walks he constantly jumps at my arms/hands and locks on (growling,snarling and crushing included) I'm at my wits end and nothing stops him.I've tried distracting him with a tennis ball,sternly saying "NO",dropping the lead and turning my back/walking off,spraying him with water. nothing works. the only thing that stops him is other people or dogs walking past but as soon as they're gone he starts again.
I look a right idiot walking down the road with a dog attached to my arm.
can anyone help. and sorry about the rant.

Also I was getting another puppy a few weeks back put my deposit down and everything and then had to cancel at the last minute becuase of Jetts behaviour.And some people may think i'm a stupid dog owner but I've just put another deposit down on another puppy that's ready in a few weeks.Jett's getting neutured soon maybe that will help a tiny bit becuase i've noticed he trys humping me when he's jumping up.
Ayden-J
Ayden-J
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Jumping Biting and growling Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jett
Dog(s) Ages : 1 (and a bit)
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 6

https://www.facebook.com/killah.koby

Back to top Go down

Jumping Biting and growling Empty Re: Jumping Biting and growling

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 22:04

I doubt getting him neutered will help with this kind of behaviour but i think your best bet would be to get a head halti that way when he starts doing what he is has been you pull upwards this will close his mouth, and force him to look at you so you can say the no command or another command. Pulling up on the lead (closes his mouth) walking towards him while pulling up (forcing him intoa siting position) stay there until he realises you are not going to let him keep doing it and the walk ends (by stopping and making him sit) until he has calmed down.
humping is dominance not sexual, dogs know we are of different species and don't try to mate with us, its dominance the head halti will help with this as well you have alot of control over them with the head halti and they soon realise this.

I really think you should reconsider getting another pup until you have your current one under control! Bring another animal/pup into a environment of unstability (which is what Jett Currently is) is not at all far on either animal.

Last edited by MissRogue on Wed Aug 31 2011, 22:11; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Aug 31 2011, 22:06

I'm sorry to sound synical, but you said you where struggling to afford Jett so why are you contemplating another pup. If you having traing problems with Jett then introducing another would be crazy. Having him desexed won't help, the only thing that will curb the behaviour is training.

Please don't buy another until you have Jett trained and behaved, and when you can have the income.

Its crazy when you are having issues with Jett that your thinking of another.

Concentrate on you and Jetts behaviour first x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 00:13

I agree with both Claire & Janey.

Claire's given you a good idea of how to stop Jet doing this, and until you can get him sorted out I wouldn't even consider getting another pup!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 00:40

I agree with all that has been said. Waiting for a new pup is also a good idea because after you have Jett well trained you will have more experience with the issues Staffys have and be better prepared for the next dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 00:43

If you are currently having issues with Jett, I would not add a new Puppy to the mix either.
Focus on Jetts behaviours first

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 08:23

i agree with what has been said make sure jett is fully trained first and the halti would be a great start

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down