Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour

4 posters

Go down

Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Empty Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour

Post by ShazD1989 Wed Mar 30 2022, 01:35

Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  20220311
Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  20220310Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  20220310
So I got a seven month old puppy for an companion for my four year old dog collie cross. She's a border collie cross staffy. She came from a lady who absolutely adored her and broke her heart giving her up but had no choice due to health reasons.
She is fantastic with my other dog and cats(although over excitable at times with the cat) but at almost eight months old she is almost completely untrained. She was pretty much allowed to do what she pleased and spent most her time running wild around the house and garden with the lady's seven year old twins.
She has no boundaries, and gets so over excited and pushy when she wants attention.
She knows one command "sit" and she thinks it means lie down . You tell her to sit she drops to the floor. She still pees in the house if not keeping a close watch on her although she does poop outside.
It's on walks that her behaviour is really worrying me. She barks and growls excessively at every person she sees. The barking sounds so aggressive that I fear walking her closer to let her meet people just in case she snaps. She's particularly bad with barking at men but doesn't react at all when we walk past children apart from to wag her tail.
She goes crazy when she hears the neighbours outside barking.
She's a sweetheart in the house with just me and loves cuddles and follows me everywhere. She is great with my dog and cat and when out she is fine with big dogs but she seems to have a major problem with small dogs. She immediately wants to play with large dogs but with small dogs she stiffens her tail and growls and barks.

ShazD1989
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Empty Re: Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Mar 30 2022, 05:35

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Empty Re: Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Mar 30 2022, 05:38

Hello and welcome. What a lovely girl.

First impression is that she’s not been socialized at all and external behavior sounds like fear rather than agression. Have you thought about going to canine school in your area to seek help ? Make sure you always apply positive training methods Wink

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ShazD1989 Wed Mar 30 2022, 11:32

Nifty staffy wrote:Hello and welcome. What a lovely girl.

First impression is that she’s not been socialized at all and external behavior sounds like fear rather than agression. Have you thought about going to canine school in your area to seek help ? Make sure you always apply positive training methods Wink

Hi she is a lovely girl. She has picked up on clicker training very fast and loves to learn. We're keeping training all positive and fun. She's a sweetheart I definitely think she's fearful and not aggressive because when she's off the lead she doesn't bark she goes a distance away from approaching people and lies down and watches them intently until they move away.

I have being teaching her the "watch me" command and she has caught on very quickly. Now when we see people if she barks I ask her to watch me and she mostly stops unless they get too close. I've being trying to respect her need for space from strangers and create a safe space while we work on her comfort levels. If I see people in the distance I use it as a training exercise to get her as close as she allows wait until she sees them and then refocus her with sit or watch me.

I'm going to enroll her in an adolescent dog class that starts in April in my local town.

ShazD1989

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Wed Mar 30 2022, 11:55

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Sounds to me that you are already doing everything right!

Her behaviour sounds very like my first dogs - both border collies. They can be quite fearful of strange things around them & will bark at things they are worried about. The laying down & watching is very typical!

Last edited by Caryll2 on Fri Apr 01 2022, 09:25; edited 1 time in total
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Steffy cross border collie seven month old pup worrying behaviour  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Mar 30 2022, 18:07

Wow, definitely does sound as if you’re doing everything you need.
You don’t say how long you’ve had her but I’m sure you’ll be making huge progress in a short lapse of time.
Well done Smile

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Fri Apr 01 2022, 19:28

Hi from me & Katy Smile Sounds like you are doing great with the training! Both staffies & collies love to learn & to please so she will learn fast Smile

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down