Introducing my staffy to new puppy addition

3 posters

Go down

Introducing my staffy to new puppy addition Empty Introducing my staffy to new puppy addition

Post by jola139 Tue Oct 20 2020, 07:19

Hi everyone.
My husband and I, decided to get a puppy. Deebo is not a big fun of other staffies and he can't be picking with bigger dogs, so when my bosses female had litter, we decided to have one of hers - mix jack Russell and chihuahua 😂.
We brought Arnie ( puppy) on Fri afternoon. Deebo had a sniff, little chase game ( started by puppy) and from then deebo just ignores him. I keep their interactions to minimum, give deebo as much space as he needs but also make sure he's not missing out.
For two days deebo let a little growls when Arnie was too close to deebo's face, apart from that he ignores the little rat. Deebo got more needy, comes for more cuddles. I let him do it to reassure him he's still no 1.
This is what I do at the moment ( I think I need some reassurance 😂):
@feed deebo first ( they eat separately)
@ crate the puppy ( deebo sleeps with us, puppy downstairs in crate)
@make sure that the puppy doesn't run to deebo to annoy him
@ when they both calmly laying down, playing with their toys ( there is no toy jealousy), I let the puppy to come closer but as soon as I notice deebo' s body is changing, I remove the puppy.
Is this normal for adult dog to ignore new puppy? Am I doing the right thing?
I'm not trying to rush things, deebo needs time, he had us for over 8years just to himself.
Any tips, advice really welcome
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Introducing my staffy to new puppy addition Empty Re: Introducing my staffy to new puppy addition

Post by lunathestaffy Tue Oct 20 2020, 07:48

May not be too relevant because of the size difference but when I was a child we had a chihuahua boy, when he was 2 and a half we got two 3 month old chihuahua females to keep him company and he wasn’t interested whatsoever until they “grew up” a bit. We would laugh at him because any time they would try to play with him he would just ignore it- he was older and simply wasn’t having it. They became inseparable after a few months.

Obviously it’s different as for us it was all same breed, for you it’s a tiny puppy with a quite bigger dog but probably same principle, Deebo is a mature man and it doesn’t interest him to play with some child he doesn’t really know Laughing give them time and they’ll soon love each other Smile maybe try create more pleasant situations for Deebo when he’s around the puppy, praise him loads and give treats when he tolerates him being around or goes to sniff him etc

lunathestaffy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 23

Back to top Go down

Introducing my staffy to new puppy addition Empty Re: Introducing my staffy to new puppy addition

Post by jola139 Tue Oct 20 2020, 07:55

Thank you for your reply. I don't think there is any aggression in Deebo, he's just not interested. But when ever I'm doing training session with puppy, deebo joins in and they both having nice relaxed session. I do praise him a lot, more than before.
Probably his whole world turned upside down 🤣.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Oct 20 2020, 18:19

I think it’s normal behaviour between new arrival at home plus being a puppy.
They always say that adult dogs can identify puppy by their smell and as he probably doesn’t want to hurt him, he prefers ignoring him.

Don’t worry, they’ll be the best of friends but in the mean time, sounds like you’ve got solid house habits in place.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Introducing my staffy to new puppy addition B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Tue Oct 20 2020, 18:54

Thank you, I won't lie, it's a bloody hard work. But I think we'd doing something right. Deebo decided it's time for him to get back to his old habits and wasn't as needy today. Plus when my husband and I were snuggled on the sofa with the puppy, deebo decided to join in, obviously with his back facing the puppy bit it's something
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down