Introducing staffy puppy to toy breed dog

4 posters

Go down

Introducing staffy puppy to toy breed dog Empty Introducing staffy puppy to toy breed dog

Post by pinecone190 Wed Aug 13 2014, 06:23

Hello,

Me and my girlfriend have been considering getting a staffy for about two years now. Only thing is that we have a 1,5yo 2,7 kg Pomeranian and I've been thinking about it's reaction to 4 kg puppy that explores the world with its mouth and teeth.
We've met a 8 week staffy puppy once with our dog and they played a bit and then the Pomeranian became a bit cranky. It looked like that it fed up with all the biting with those needle sharp teeth and started to try to show that it was not pleasant. So now I'm wondering if a staffy puppy in our household would stress our Pomeranian too much with its playbiting.
I've checked with my employer and gotten a permission to take the staffy pup to work if/when needed so our Pomeranian would still have some peaceful time alone if necessary.

all info about this kind of situation would be as good as gold.

Thank you for those who are kind enough to answer

pinecone190
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Introducing staffy puppy to toy breed dog Empty Re: Introducing staffy puppy to toy breed dog

Post by silver Wed Aug 13 2014, 09:07

Hi. When I got Toots at 8 weeks, I already had a young yorkie.
I too had concerns over the needle teeth hurting Dottie, but they sorted it out between themselves and Toots quickly realised the play would stop if things got a bit too rough.
Ended up fine together  Big Grin 
silver
silver
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Toots
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 103

Back to top Go down

Introducing staffy puppy to toy breed dog Empty Re: Introducing staffy puppy to toy breed dog

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 13 2014, 11:24

I have never had two dogs together so cannot really comment, having said that please make any introductions on neutral ground possibly at a local park, I'm sure they would be fine. Rocky always seems to get on very well with small breeds but then he is a bit older.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Wed Aug 13 2014, 18:30

Should be ok if the staffy is a pup as the older dog will teach him manners but I can't speak from my experience. Kathryn is right about introducing them on a natural ground and not at home. Good luck and keep us updated
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down