Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query

4 posters

Go down

Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query  Empty Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query

Post by JoJoBN Fri Aug 07 2020, 09:13

Hello All. Really happy to find this page and hope someone can advise. I am in the process of adopting a 5 year old female Staffy from a rescue charity. Just going through all her details to find that she weighs 21kg. My understanding so far of the breed is that females are supposed to weigh between 11-15kg and she doesn't look overweight to me. My son is an average 10 year old for size reference. I am now worried she may be pit bull cross. Is this something that a vet could confirm or maybe someone with a trained eye on this breed? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

JoJoBN
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query  Empty Re: Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query

Post by JoJoBN Fri Aug 07 2020, 09:15

Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query  Fullsi10
Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query  Img_7510

JoJoBN

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query  Empty Re: Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query

Post by gillybrent Fri Aug 07 2020, 09:30

Hi & welcome.

Are you in the UK, and are you adopting from a registered rescue agency?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by JoJoBN Fri Aug 07 2020, 09:37

Yes I am in the UK and I am adopting from the RSPCA - dog rehomed due to family not being able to manage 2 children and 2 dogs. Everyone at kennel and RSPCA has spoken very highly of the dog, Just now worried about size of her.

JoJoBN

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Aug 07 2020, 10:40

In that case, don't worry! The RSPCA get all their stafford type rehomes checked for pit bull type, so she's obviously been cleared & if you ever have any queries, they'll back you up!

As for pure/cross, well she looks like a cross with mainly stafford in her, although it's often very difficult to say.

However, she's an absolute beauty & it looks like your son and her are already great mates. Big Grin

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JoJoBN Fri Aug 07 2020, 12:22

Thanks Gilly. I'd be interested to know what you think she may be cross with..

JoJoBN

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by JoJoBN Fri Aug 07 2020, 12:36

And how do the RSPCA check for pit bull type? I understood it wasn't possible to detect through DNA testing...

JoJoBN

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Fri Aug 07 2020, 18:05

Hello and welcome.

Unless I am mistaken, the pit bull “type” is the part which becomes very subjective as it’s a combination of measurements and overall look.
As gilly says, the RSPCA will have done their homework as they have a responsibility which I don’t believe they’d take lightly.

Your girl is very pretty, what’s her name ?

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Aug 07 2020, 20:24

As said, it's a set of measurements ( stupid, really, but there you are), and must be carried out by a trained assessor. The RSPCA wouldn't dare get it wrong.

It's so hard to say what she might have in her - could be Labrador or similar?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Fri Aug 07 2020, 20:52

She is a beautiful girl Love Struck Certainly landed on her paws joining your family Smile Katy is from staffy parents & weighs 30kgs but she is a staffy Love Struck Back somewhere in the line there may be an accident Big Grin

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Adopting rescue female Staffy - weight / crossbreed query  B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by JoJoBN Fri Aug 07 2020, 22:03

Thanks so much for all your kind comments and advice - its been invaluable today.

A few more check with the RSPCA and then she will be coming home with us. Any tips on settling her in would also be gratefully received. We can't wait to bring her home x

JoJoBN

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Aug 08 2020, 07:43

I would bring something from home (an old towel or similar), make sure your family's scent is on it & ask the kennel staff to leave it with her. Then, when she comes home, put it away n her bed so she can cuddle up to it for comfort.

A good routine will be useful - meals at set times, same with walks. Also, no real fuss when you go to bed or go out of the house without her. Just a couple of words, a quick stroke & go.

Also, if she takes herself off somewhere quiet, leave her alone & let her relax. It's going to be tough & strange for her & she doesn't need too much pressure to fit in immediately (although she might!).

It can take a few weeks/months to settle fully, but her true character should start to come through in a couple of weeks.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JoJoBN Mon Aug 10 2020, 10:15

Thanks so much for the tips! So I have heard from the RSPCA - they say this dog is 'definitely not pit bull type' and therefore they haven't had it checked by the 'put bull trained person' apparently. This is causing me concern... I am waiting to speak to them now...

JoJoBN

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Aug 10 2020, 11:00

Don't worry - they know what they're talking about and will always back you up in case of problems.

To be honest, apart from her size, she doesn't look like a Pitbull anyway. I doubt you'll have any problems.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down