Unpredictable aggression in female rescue staff

2 posters

Go down

Unpredictable aggression in female rescue staff Empty Unpredictable aggression in female rescue staff

Post by 8pawprints Sun Feb 12 2012, 00:03

Wrong forum, so deleted and inserted elsewhere

Last edited by 8pawprints on Sun Feb 12 2012, 08:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong forum)
8pawprints
8pawprints
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 5-6 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Unpredictable aggression in female rescue staff Empty Re: Unpredictable aggression in female rescue staff

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12 2012, 00:23

Welcome to the forum. That's a hard problem given the fact you can't know the history of a rescue dog. I would advise walking on leads with other dogs whenever possible and introducing her to play situations only after she has been exercised and under close supervision.

Back to top Go down

Unpredictable aggression in female rescue staff Empty Re: Unpredictable aggression in female rescue staff

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12 2012, 02:35

Hi & welcome to the forum.

I agree with jstaff, although that really doesn't help you much, does it?

I would say that her past has something to do with the aggression, but you'll never know exactly what it is. The only thing you can do, is treat her as dog aggressive & keep her on lead anywhere near other dogs, and avoid them wherever possible.

8pawprints wrote:Spoke to a progressive, very experienced behaviourist who advised to return dog to rescue ( rescue retain ownership of dog for the rest of dog's life so will take back).
My OH and I do not feel qualified to deal with this unpredictable aggression and it will not be fair on the dog if we have to 'police' for the rest of it's life whenever we are out. We are mindful of possible harm to other dogs and possibly children. Any advice would be appreciated.

Although I understand that you feel it wouldn't be fair to 'police' her, would it be fair to send her back to the rescue centre, possibly spending the rest of her life in kennels?

My last dog was very da, with a high prey drive, but we lived in an area where we could let him off lead without the chance of other dogs being around. He was always kept on lead as soon as we noticed another dog within about 100yards. He was a happy, well adjusted dog (apart from the da) and wasn't at all bothered by being on lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sun Feb 12 2012, 04:56

Completely agree with above. It is a very difficult position. DA and prey drive can be controlled without the dog being tortured, but it will take time, vigilence and effort. If you do not feel qualified to deal with the unexpected, you will have to either avoid all possible situations that can lead to his aggression. The only other option is to consider what the behaviorist said. Not an easy place and I can sympathize with you and your OH. Hopefully you will make the right decision for you and the dog.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12 2012, 09:20

i see the post has been deleted but if u ever come back to see this.....it really isnt that much of a problem as long as u are carefull. One of my dogs (also a rescue) has this unpredictable agression. We only let him off lead when its just our 2 dogs around and keep an eye out for other dogs so we can put him quickly put his lead back on. Its a pain yes but not at all impossible to deal with, u can easily work with it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down