Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed

5 posters

Go down

Sad Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed

Post by Monkeyhead Sun Apr 19 2020, 17:14

Hi all,

I've just joined after finding this forum on Google. I recall this being around back in the day and I'm glad it's still here:-), but I never thought I'd have to write a post like this ever. So here goes..

I currently have a staffie called Sky, who is 9yrs in November.

Originally when me and my partner had her it was just the two of us. My affection towards the dog was always over the top spoiling her letting her sleep in the bed etc. Literally dotting on the dog. This in turn through my behaviour made her somewhat needy, and never far from my side. She's not a bad dog, and has the most softest personality I've known but whiny if I leave her. Often I'm told she has separation anxiety. We'd quite happily accepted a life with just dogs and life continued.

Life as you know it never goes to plan and last year we had a daughter. When we came back from the hospital on the initial night Sky went mental. Not aggressive but obsessed with getting to the baby. We let her sniff her and that was it for the initial night. We went to bed with mixed emotions of not knowing how Sky would cope with the baby. The following morning it was like a different dog. Sky would lick her a few times and then park herself near the cot or close by. I always thought the relationship between the two was normal and had no reason to doubt it. Sky would just be obsessed with licking her.

Fast forward and the baby is now nearly one and walking and crawling about. Sky as usual is never far away and still likes to go to her and lick her at times. We often have to intervene and say enough, and she stops. Recently a few things have happened which have started to make us a little concerned.

The first was about a month ago. The dog was sitting in the living room and baby was playing on the floor. All of a sudden we heard a growl and baby was crying and sky was walking away. I was doing some work, and my partner was using the phone. Both distracted so unable to know exactly what did or did not happen. The little one didn't have any marks or anything and we didn't see any physical contact between the two. At this point we put it down to something happened, but we were not sure exactly what.

The second time occurred when Sky was asleep in the hallway about 2 weeks ago. The baby crawled past again no physical touch or contact made, but it was right beside her. My partner was present and Sky jumped up and growled at baby, showing her teeth. Again no contact, but this obviously made us pretty concerned. Baby cried her eyes out as was obviously scary, and it shaken us both up quite badly. Since this incident everything had been fine up until today. I knew at this point though that either she doesn't like the baby or maybe there is something we are doing wrong here.

Today the same thing happened like it did in the hallway.

I've owned dogs all my life, and I've never encountered this before. Sky is walked 30 minutes each day, and after that usually snores her head off for many hours. She goes to doggy daycare once a week and runs with a pack of dogs all day. They have to sit her out some of the walks due to her being exhausted. If I play ball its usually lasts 20 minutes as she gives up and doesn't want to play any more.

Sky has safe zones in the house where her bed is and the baby is not allowed near, and we leave her undisturbed. Meal times she is separated and always has been. Sky has never shown any aggression to me, but her behaviour is worrying us both. For example the house has many rooms, and she only ever wants to be in the room where the baby is, and goes sleep in the middle of the room. If we shut her out when she doesn't want to be excluded she will wine for hours.

I'm not sure if due to her older age she is just becoming grumpy and less tolerant, but I could really appreciate some advice if we are doing something wrong or is there danger signs here before something bad happens. I'd never want to put my daughter in any danger.

Thanks for reading :-)

Monkeyhead
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed

Post by Inez Maria Sun Apr 19 2020, 18:24

Hi sorry to read this I would at a guess say maybe yes at 9 she perhaps doesnt sometimes need bothering with if thats the right word I also think maybe get her checked over with your vet could be underlying health probs or even maybe her sight,hearing which I would say she suddenly jumped up and growled its more fear aggression I would say. I wouldnt how ever good she is with the baby leave them alone together as it only takes if Sky has a sore spot and baby touches it can cause a reaction. I am sure someone else will be along soon with some more suggestions. But book that vet app it will rule out anything underlying Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Apr 19 2020, 19:04

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Is my Dogs behaviour dangerous? Advise urgently needed Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Apr 19 2020, 19:27

Hello and welcome.

Inez has already suggested my initial thoughts, if you can get Sky checked over especially for sight and hearing issues.
Her reaction, as you describe, sounds more defensive as in “leave me alone”.
When I have observed my Nifty with freshly weaned Opium, I had never observed a behaviour as you describe so it’s not “educational”.

Then we need to try to see why she wants to be left alone ?
She’s hurting or surprised by impaired senses or she’s just jealous ?  
As your toddler is already a year old, Sky has had the time to get used to her presence. But maybe recently you (and your OH) have been paying more attention to toddler who is now getting more mobile and Sky feels even more left out.

When you describe Sky’s environment and lifestyle, she’s definitely being looked after but from starting out her life in your bed, is she still getting (enough) 1-2-1 quality time with you ?
Maybe have a look and see if any of our suggestions seem plausible or possible.

I do echo Inez as not to leave Sky and toddler alone, ever.
At the best of times, our staffies might well be nanny dogs but they are often lacking delicacy, however unintentional.
I don’t find leaving even the best staffy alone with a toddler a good idea.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Apr 19 2020, 19:42

Maybe one thing to look into a bit further, is your behaviour towards Sky. Let me try to explain.

Your affection over the top, as you say, can be seen as very “positive”.
Of late, you talk about Sky being put to the side during certain situations (time out with the licking, trying to keep her out of the room), this can be interpreted as being “negative”.
Maybe Sky is feeling the balance too much to the “negative” (for her standards).

Do you still call her for a petting or is she the one who takes the initiatives now ?
Does she still have the possibility of some special moments/privileges with you, like before ?

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sun Apr 19 2020, 21:24

Hi from me & Katy Smile Worrying time for you but I agree with Inez & Nifty, there could be some health issue with Sky. I would certainly look into her hearing & eyesight, your baby could be startling her when she's woken suddenly! Keep a close eye on them when they are together & when this lockdown is over pop her to the vets for a check over.

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Apr 20 2020, 12:00

Hi & welcome.

I agree with what's been said already.

No dog suddenly becomes aggressive for no reason. It could be that her age is starting to tell & she doesn't want to be bothered as much as she used to? It could also be that she sleeps more deeply now she's a little older, and the baby crawling past makes her jump?

Vets are only seeing emergencies at the moment, but you can check her eyesight & hearing yourself.

In the meantime, keep an eye on them both - your daughter may, at some time (perhaps the first time Sky growled?), inadvertently hurt Sky by pulling her tail or grabbing her skin, and Sky is just remembering this & warning that she doesn't want it happening again.

Staffords usually only resort to actually biting if there is no other option, so I doubt that your daughter is in danger. However, until you're sure that all is safe & well, maybe keep a stricter eye on both of them!Wink

Try to make a fuss of Sky when your daughter is near, and then make a fuss of your daughter when Sky is near, and monitor the reaction in each instance.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down