Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier?

3 posters

Go down

Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? Empty Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier?

Post by Mrcrg1jkg Tue Apr 23 2019, 05:57

I've had my Boogie almost 4 years old for almost 2 years. I started him off with Victor Pro plus. He gained 20 lbs in 8 months. Then he stopped eating it. Switched over to Taste of the Wild PREY, Turkey, Angus Beef, and Trout Grain Free. All with Lentils. Limited Ingredients. He was doing well with that brand, but I heard that Lentils, chickpeas was causing heart problems. Took him off of that. Now I have him on Purina Pro Plan Savor, and True Instinct. All of these are dry dog foods. I mix them with Healthy Extension wet. Lamb, Salmon, beef. I can't believe I'm feeding him Purina. But he likes it a lot, and the Pro Plan ,and True Instinct have raving reviews. My question is what is the best food for American Staffordshire Terriers? Thanks.

Mrcrg1jkg
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? Empty Re: Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2019, 08:04

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Back to top Go down

Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? Empty Re: Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2019, 08:05

Before replying, can I check which country you're in? I use a great dried food but it's only available in the UK.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrcrg1jkg Tue Apr 23 2019, 15:38

Yes, I'm in the USA. I'm going to do a 28 day trial run on the food I'm giving my Boogie right now. But I still would like to hear and recommendations. Thanks

Mrcrg1jkg

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Apr 23 2019, 18:01

Hello and welcome.

My Nifty was weaned on Pro Plan puppy food (opti start) but I quickly switched her over to Orijen and now Acana.
Opium is also in Acana and l’m very happy with it Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2019, 20:15

Sadly the food I use and would otherwise recommend (Millie's Wolfheart) is only available in the UK. I don't know what the market is like in the States, or specifically in your State, and whether there are any similar small family run businesses that produce high quality foods. There are quite a few in the UK now, with great quality at competetive prices. If that's an option for you, it's certainly one I'd look at, rather than relying on the big manufacturers (who I don't trust so much).

Sorry I can't help more, but good luck in your search!

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue Apr 23 2019, 21:12

Mrcrg1jkg wrote:I've had my Boogie almost 4 years old for almost 2 years. I started him off with  Victor Pro plus. He gained 20 lbs in 8 months. Then he stopped eating it. Switched over to Taste of the Wild PREY, Turkey, Angus Beef, and Trout Grain Free. All with Lentils.  Limited Ingredients. He was doing well with that brand, but I heard that Lentils,  chickpeas was causing heart problems. Took him off of that. Now I have him on  Purina Pro Plan Savor, and  True Instinct.  All of these are dry dog foods. I mix  them with  Healthy Extension wet. Lamb, Salmon, beef. I can't believe I'm feeding him Purina.  But he likes it a lot, and the Pro Plan ,and True  Instinct have raving reviews.  My question is what is the best food for American Staffordshire  Terriers?  Thanks.

True Instinct in the UK is a brand name by Nature's Menu - is that the same food you're feeding?

Is this the wet food... 

https://www.healthextension.com

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrcrg1jkg Wed Apr 24 2019, 06:19

Thanks to all that reached out. I too was using Instinct Be Natural along with Instinct Raw Boost kibble + raw. I have to mix it with Healthy Extension. The Purina dry Boogie eats by itself. Bottom line, my question is. Is Purina True Instinct , or Pro Plan Savor dry food good for Staffordshires? Thanks

Mrcrg1jkg

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Apr 24 2019, 10:19

Personally I wouldn't use anything by Purina.

BUT. If your dog is doing well on it, then stick with it!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Apr 25 2019, 11:41

A friend of mine has an AmStaff (castrated male) and she gives him a mix of pedigree and purina one. She says this mix suits him well as he isn’t hungry and has not put on weight.

So at the end of the day, the best food for your dog is whatever he eats and which keeps him healthy (transit as well as appearance) Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Best food for my American Staffordshire Terrier? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down