Where to train?

3 posters

Go down

Dog Where to train?

Post by dawnjns Mon Oct 29 2018, 09:35

We have two staffs who are siblings, brother Henri & sister Roxy age 1 year.
We have owned staffs before but only one and are finding having two a bit of a handful.

We took them for training at about 4 months old, we went through the basics but struggled at the time. It was quite a large class and the dogs took turns so I think they got bored while waiting.
Henri picked things up quicker than Roxy when he participated! I say participated because the majority of the time he stood there barking into the air, not at a person or dog. We were told to ignore him which we did so he just continued to bark.
Roxy is generally quieter more chilled dog although when together I suspect they spark off each other.

I contacted the dog trust to join their dog school. They asked about both dogs and their temperaments, I explained about Henri's barking at training and how he also chews LOTS of things he shouldn't. So based on this they thought he may suffer separation anxiety and suggested a behaviourist before they'd except him into dog school.
Henri doesn't just chew when left alone, he'll chew while in your company or wonder off to another room and chew all things he shouldn't. They both have lots of toys and chews they can chew so I'm not convinced it's separation anxiety. The recommended behaviourist is £350 for one session with telephone follow up.
So we can't go to Dogs Trust Dog School and have tried a local class.
Do we go to the behaviourist or find a different local class, does it sound like separation anxiety?
We'd love any advise Smile

dawnjns
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy & Henri
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: Where to train?

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Oct 29 2018, 17:35

My first thoughts are that they often say to avoid siblings as they have a stronger bond as have always been together.

In your position, I would try to have one handler for each at the training session, even alternating every week between them (attending with one and then the other) if you’re alone.

Have you ever separated them in order to do something with one without the other being there ? That might be Henri’s issue that he barks and chews for attention seeking. That might also be the separation issues suggested to you.

Also don’t forget that most of the best training you can do at home. As surroundings are familiar, your dog can really focalise on you and the exercise. Trainers and canine clubs are good for ideas, guidance and socializing.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Where to train? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Oct 29 2018, 19:21

I'm not convinced about separation anxiety, but more to the point, I can't see why it would stop you going to training classes! I've known several mouthy dogs who haven't even a tiny bit of separation anxiety!

£350 for one session is taking the mickey - actually, I think it daylight robbery!

If I were you, I'd go on the KC site & see if there are any training classes near you, and then do as already suggested, take one at a time so that they don't start each other off.

www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findaclub/training/Default.aspx

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2018, 19:49

My gut feeling is that training classes might not be the place to address Henri's barking and chewing, as classes do tend to focus on the group's needs rather than the individual's. So I would suggest one to one, even just to get you pointed in the right direction.

Here are a couple of sites that might help you find someone:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/

and

https://www.apbc.org.uk/

They're not guarantees that someone will be great but they are well reputed sites and generally well reputed trainers. Prices vary, sometimes depending on what they include (travel, follow up sessions, phone/email support, etc.). From the experience of having done that sort of behavioural work with horses, my view is that a good home trainer is worth their weight in gold. They can see not only what is going on but often why, they can see how different factors are affecting the situation, and they can give you precise guidance on what to do, with support.

And for what it's worth, it doesn't sound like separation anxiety to me, more a learned behaviour that's getting Henri what he wants, even if that might not be obvious to anyone other than him.

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnjns Mon Oct 29 2018, 20:50

It wasn't our intention to have a brother and sister it's a long story but he came to stay the weekend with his sister and never went home. We love him dearly and wouldn't change a thing now.
I also work form home so they are barely on their own.
If I was convinced Henri is suffering emotionally with separation anxiety I'd spend the £350 like a shot!
I even bought an adaptil collar and spray and it made no difference at all, infact after 10 days he managed to get the collar off and chew it to bits!
We do training at home all the time with both of them but as soon as were away from home, not their usual environment the excitement takes over.
I think one to one might be the initial way forward, I guess we'll have to see how that goes.
Henri's a real live wire and very agile (compared to Roxy) so I'd thought about agility for him. Anyone have any knowledge of staffies and agility?
Thank you for all your advice it's much appreciated Smile

dawnjns

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Oct 29 2018, 21:19

I didn’t mention the sibling thing as being judgmental to your situation but to explain why it’s so much harder Smile

As to staffies and agility, there is one from the breeder I got Nifty from who has much success in the discipline.
But I’d say to make sure not to start too early physically.
You also need very good recall and a fair bit of obedience but staffies are very smart so you probably have that already.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Where to train? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Oct 29 2018, 21:27

Agility would be great, but you need to have basic, off lead training & control.

I would wait until he's about 18-24 months, though. You can get him doing weaves & going the tunnels, but no high impact work yet.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnjns Mon Oct 29 2018, 21:55

I completely understand about the sibling thing....it's definitely more challenging with siblings! We just discovered that after we had them. Wink

I think the agility might be something to work towards after we've ironed out the chewing and training.

dawnjns

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 30 2018, 08:09

The other thing with agility is make sure you pick the right club. Some of them can be very competitive and when you add that the to excitement of the sport it can be less good for the dog. You need to make sure that the person running it is looking at more than times and is also paying attention to dog behaviour. I would go a couple of times just to watch, no dogs with you, and watch how the dogs are behaving, not only during their runs but overall.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down