otisthestafford
janey
ashy
durbster
Tony n Jane
Kathy
13 posters

Go down

How did you train your dog?  Empty How did you train your dog?

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Apr 02 2013, 14:02

Hello. Been reading the Cesar Milan thread with interest. But wanted to know - esp from very well behaved Staffy owners - how they trained their dogs as well as how long it took and how much training (how intensively) they did, how old dog was when you got him/her and what kind of state was he/she in (i.e. rescue/puppy/relative's dog ...)

Any top recommendations regarding books or DVDS or Youtube links. Or podcasts would also be useful.

Thank you very much!
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

How did you train your dog?  Empty Re: How did you train your dog?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 14:07

Logan is well trained but still very much a pup at times. He has just been trained with patience and making sure he got praise for doing well. Anything I now about dog training, which is really just the basics, I've gotten from other people and from people on the forum and online.

I think exercise is the key for everything because when Logan is sufficiently exercised he is a perfect dog.

Last edited by MatLogan on Tue Apr 02 2013, 14:14; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Apr 02 2013, 14:13

Our dog Rocky is now just over 3 years old, we got him at one year old from a rescue centre. He had had very little in the way of training of any kind, and had been kept in a crate for 12 hours a day in an out house.

Very different life for him now, we have socialized him with every walk now being a training session of some kind or other. We will use a long training lead when Rocky is walked with me and hubby but kept on the sorter lead when it's just me walking him so I have more control over him.

Rocky has 2 walks of approx an hour and 30 mins each time which can be increased with an evening walk added now it's a bit lighter for longer.

He does have a crate in the hall which he will go in when he wants to. It is only used as a quiet place for him to take himself off too as and when he likes.

Haven't really used any books or DVD's but have contacted and re visited the rescue centre he came from for advice and further behavioural assessment when needed.

I have found this forum to be a wealth of information and advice and couldn't have got this far without it.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 02 2013, 14:27

Moo is what I would say perfect! (sorry to sound big headed!) She was 10 months ish when I got her and is 4 ish now, having already had 3 homes prior she was a little nervous, but then also a loon at other times.

We have always just used repetitive training, she isn't treat orientated so it was just simple praise, and simple commands which I then elaborated on. I would say though I am very strict with her and she does no right from wrong.

As for books I have never used one Xx

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony n Jane Tue Apr 02 2013, 14:54

We used a pocket full of treats and a lot of patience, Plenty of praise and hugs. Ella is good on the lead and responds to most commands but still has selective deafness lol.
Were lucky as Ella is quite placid. I'm sure it can be quite testing if your pooch is more lively but there are loads of great hints and tips on here i'm sure youll do just fine
Tony n Jane
Tony n Jane
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How did you train your dog?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ella
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and half
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 15:01

Patience, consistency, rewards & loads of exercise!

I've only had my dogs from pups (7 and 8 weeks old) and all of them have started 'training' from day one! Little & often is the key - just 5 minutes training here & there. Start simple & work up from there, always end on something you know your dog is good at so that any training session ends on a good note!

Back to top Go down

Post by durbster Tue Apr 02 2013, 15:54

Everything we've taught Mia has been with treats. She LOVES food so that makes it a lot easier.

As she was our first dog we took her to puppy classes and that was very helpful, particularly for the little tips and tricks if they're not quite getting it. For example, we couldn't get her to understand the lie down command, so learnt to get her to crawl under our legs to get the treat. Once she'd done that a few times she soon figured it out.

I definitely agree with the little and often - if they're expecting an hour long intensive training session they might be less than enthusiastic. We'd just do maybe three treats a few times a day and the pup seemed happy with that.

The only major thing we've struggled with is her enthusiasm with other dogs, as she will run over to play given half a chance and if they're quite placid she'll run a circle around them at a thousand miles an hour, occasionally leaping in to lick their face.

We assumed she'd grow out of it but she'll be two in a few months, so might have to rethink that Big Grin
durbster
durbster
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 15:55

Started training Loki the first day we got him. I use positive reinforcement and also clicker training. He's not the best behaved dog ever, but that's because he's a stubborn lunatic Laughing the training goes well, he understands what he needs to do, it's just a case of making him see that he needs to do it rather than be naughty. Most of the time he's great though. I've always used treats and then slowly fade them out once he knows it's something to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashy Tue Apr 02 2013, 16:25

Never used any books but simple commands and training in small sessions.no treats as bruce isnt bothered.use his ball sometimes though.hes turned out lovely!

One of the most important tricks was advice from you lovely peeps, priceless.
Asking loads at the moment due to having a lobotomy and getting another pup called Ozzy!!

ashy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bruce and ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks and 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : male's and
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Apr 02 2013, 16:31

Janey: What are you strict about? Did you decide the rules/boundaries right from the beginning. To everyone else: what are your groundrules?

Also: to everyone else. What kind of doggy behaviour did you find most "challenging" and how did you fix it (specifically).

My dog is amazing but he jumps up on other dog walkers when he says hello (thank God not on joggers etc), pulls on lead and behaves as if he has a bit part in Born Free when he is overexcited in the park sometimes.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 02 2013, 16:37

I'm strict with her diet, how she walks, who she can approach dogs/humans, I implemented it from day one but I was also very lucky as she was a good girl to begin with and she came to work with me where there were other dogs and lots of people and children. If I ever got another staff I would hope they where as easy to train!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 16:40

My rules are: no biting/jumping up on people (we're still struggling with that), no going on the furniture and no going upstairs. That's it I guess Laughing

The hardest thing is his nipping. He's OK with people he knows well, but strangers he still nips, very hard too. Also pulling on the lead when he's close to other dogs. I've dealt with this by teaching him to watch me (at first by holding a treat and giving it to him when he looks at me) and break the focus on the other dog. It's hit and miss, but makes it more manageable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Apr 02 2013, 16:48

My dog doesn't bite or nip, thankfully. But he is overzealous - particularly this week. It may be because it's Spring, I'm not sure. He's like a cannonball.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Tue Apr 02 2013, 17:36

Otis is only 6 months so we are really new to the whole training aspect. Don't want to start a huge debate but I found victoria stillwell (think that's how you spell it) on youtube very good for teaching things like sit, down and impulse control (when trying to put the food down onto the floor, he knocked it out my hands a few times in the first week! Laughing) I don't know what anyones opinion is on her but at the time I found some things helpful.
We also keep training simple, fun and build it into everyday things - like waiting before being invited into the house etc. We practice at least once a day for about 15mins.

Good luck
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by rainny/bruno Tue Apr 02 2013, 18:04

Bruno loves chicken, so all training has been done with it, we have only had him for 4 weeks and we rescued him are selfs, Bruno is still a working progress, i spend 3 hours a day walking and training him, he is really clever and fast learner Smile
rainny/bruno
rainny/bruno

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue Apr 02 2013, 18:08

Before Elmo, all my dogs were rescue and came with a lot of problems, Rolo especially.

When I got my first dog, all I knew about training was what I had watched on the dreaded dog whisperer! Surprised

So poor old Buster had me and the OH using CM's techniques but then I realised it didn't really work. A jerk on the lead might have stopped his bad behaviour in the moment but it would still happen again and again and again.

I turned to the Internet to begin research and was shocked when I found websites saying how bad the dog whisperer was but the more I read, the more I learned.

I then had a book called When Pigs Fly recommended to me which got me into clicker training. I went on to read many of the other recommended reading by good trainers like The Culture Clash, Don't Shoot The Dog etc. and realised just how wrong the old fashioned training methods were.

When I decided to get a pup, I read practically every puppy book I could get my hands on (can you tell I like reading?! Big Grin) from Ian Dunbar to Gwen's Bailey. I coupled that with what I'd already learned and my experience with my rescue dogs and came up with a completely aversive free training program for Elmo (I say aversive free but I do use a verbal no reward marker with him which I think he sometimes finds a little aversive).

He's nearly 8 months old and as good as gold, he's still work in progress and I didn't get to do half as much training with him as I wanted due to health reasons but he really is a cracker.

He learns new things so quickly now, if I want to teach him something new, I just whip out the clicker and after a few short sessions, he's learnt it then I just put it on a variable reward schedule and his performance just gets better and better.

I'd be here forever if I told about every 'bad' behaviour I've had to work on over the years but I'd strongly recommend clicker training and the books I've mentioned. Kikopup on YouTube is good and there are loads of good websites out there. Some good trainers to google are Karen Pryor, Sophia Yin, Jane Killion and Patricia McConnell to mention a few.

It sounds like you need to work on rewarding calm behaviour. Don't let him practice the unwanted behaviours initially by just putting him on a lead when you see other dog walkers, IME, most people will coo or even treat a jumping up dog so it's rewarding for him.

A good thing to remember is instead of trying to stop a behaviour you don't like, train a behaviour you do like so for example, work really hard on getting a default sit for when he greets people.

HTH Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 18:11

Rupertsbooks wrote:Also: to everyone else. What kind of doggy behaviour did you find most "challenging" and how did you fix it (specifically).

The thing I struggled the most with and still have bother with from time to time is barking. He is fairly good but has an episode when I have visitors.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve.Sanders Tue Apr 02 2013, 18:42

If I wanted to know anything.. on here I come.. Some brill advice n methods for any training probs.. If your having trouble someone else on here have had the same.. Kodas 8 months next week and thanks to this forum I have a happy healthy loving playful staffy..
Steve.Sanders
Steve.Sanders
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 30/07/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Apr 02 2013, 18:54

I've just done a basic obedience training course with Daisy, which has taught me marker training using 'yes' as the marker and food treats to reward. It's working really well for us but we still have a long way to go. I got Daisy nearly 7 months ago, as a recue and did start training myself but then she had a lot of health issues so we got a bit off track, otherwise she would be much better than she is!! Luckily she is a pretty good girl though Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Wed Apr 03 2013, 12:36

Galdriel - a fellow nerd! Thank you. I love Ian Dunbar and look at dogstardaily.com all the time. I love the way he even talks about dogs. Such affection. I have also got Pigs Fly but I am too malcoordinated so far to use clicker training! Does anyone else have that problem. The Cesar approach to stopping pulling has not worked at all, the couple of times I've tried it. The changing direction thing works much better although I have to remind myself to keep it up. I will check out your other recommendations. I like podcasts for long car journeys.

I have had Rupes since August. He didn't know anything, wasn't house trained or anything. Was one and a half. I am very lucky as he has a very submissive (so far) sweet character. And when he is frightened he just cowers.

so far he has learned: house training, walking well on lead unless excited, settling down and not destroying flat when I am not there (except for shoelaces and plastic bags, not running away and never coming back in park, sit, lie down (unless excited), paw, wait (unless excited), come, "where is it" (finding a ball etc in park). Main thing is impulse control and completely ignoring me and unable to do paw if he is wanting to run around in park. Also running up to other dogs and wanting to play very bouncilly (other owners do not get that he is playing sometimes and sort of freeze or pick up their dogs which is worse), jumping up on other dog owners cos he wants to say hello - again they get the wrong impression if they are not so experienced. I think my main problem is that I have not done the ten minutes of training every day - let it slip a bit - so am getting back to it. Two steps forward, one step back. But, GOt, I LOVE that dog. I even dream about him Love Struck
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:17

We got Suki from a breeder at 16 weeks. From the first day we had her we made sure she was socialized with other dogs every day. We also used positive reinforcement in multiple daily training sessions making sure to always end on a high note.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Apr 03 2013, 15:18

Rupertsbooks wrote:Galdriel - a fellow nerd! Thank you. I love Ian Dunbar and look at dogstardaily.com all the time. I love the way he even talks about dogs. Such affection. I have also got Pigs Fly but I am too malcoordinated so far to use clicker training! Does anyone else have that problem. The Cesar approach to stopping pulling has not worked at all, the couple of times I've tried it. The changing direction thing works much better although I have to remind myself to keep it up. I will check out your other recommendations. I like podcasts for long car journeys.

I have had Rupes since August. He didn't know anything, wasn't house trained or anything. Was one and a half. I am very lucky as he has a very submissive (so far) sweet character. And when he is frightened he just cowers.

so far he has learned: house training, walking well on lead unless excited, settling down and not destroying flat when I am not there (except for shoelaces and plastic bags, not running away and never coming back in park, sit, lie down (unless excited), paw, wait (unless excited), come, "where is it" (finding a ball etc in park). Main thing is impulse control and completely ignoring me and unable to do paw if he is wanting to run around in park. Also running up to other dogs and wanting to play very bouncilly (other owners do not get that he is playing sometimes and sort of freeze or pick up their dogs which is worse), jumping up on other dog owners cos he wants to say hello - again they get the wrong impression if they are not so experienced. I think my main problem is that I have not done the ten minutes of training every day - let it slip a bit - so am getting back to it. Two steps forward, one step back. But, GOt, I LOVE that dog. I even dream about him Love Struck

Sounds like you're doing good Smile

There are loads of games you can play (without your dog around) to improve your clicker accuracy. One is bounce a ball and click every time it hits the floor. Another is to choose a word like 'the' then watch some telly, click every time someone says the word! Practise makes perfect Smile

Do have anywhere less exciting that the park but more exciting than home you can train? Sounds like he's just not ready for training in the park yet as it takes him over threshold...

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Otissmummy Wed Apr 03 2013, 16:19

Everything we have taught Otis he has learned with treats and lots of praise. I also dabbled a little with clicker training and he learned a lot of cute tricks this way like dancing, standing on two legs, bowing, being ashamed and crawling but basics were done with patience and lots of praise. I have a very greedy dog so training him was easy once I realised what motivated him.

I still have a long way to go with him only being 8 months as he still barks excessively at nothing but we will get there. But so far he is a model citizen.
Otissmummy
Otissmummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Fri Apr 05 2013, 14:13

Otismummy: have you posted videos of Otis's tricks on this website? You must be so proud. I love it when they learn new things. Makes my heart swell and I love that "teamwork" feeling.

Galadriel: yes, I'd forgotten about middle ground training locations. I used to practice with him in the garden squares in my area but have stopped doing that. So will try again.

Also - someone suggested a v long training lead so I have just ordered one of them.

Thank you.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Fri Apr 05 2013, 16:00

We got Caley at 8 weeks old, she is 1 now. The first few months we took her puppy school, I think more for myself than her lol. She learnt her basic commands really quickly, sit, stay, down, paw etc. We can now also leave food right by her paws and leave the room but she will not touch it until I return and tell her - she is such a good girl extremely proud of the way she is turning out. She still has her puppy moments, at the moment we are trying to stop her jumping up at people when they come in, she is getting there with us but the excitement just gets too much for her when others arrive.

I would agree though that exercise is main thing that keeps her such a well behaved dog, if we fail to give her sufficent exercise one day she can be a hurricane around the house causing destruction everywhere Big Grin
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How did you train your dog?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05 2013, 16:18

My girl behaves exceptionally well, especially for her age (she's not quite one yet and she's also a rescue). I train with both treats and praise as I don't always have treats on me when she does something good! It does take a lot of time and patience to get the final out come but really when they get it they don't ever really forget so it's important to get them doing the behavior you want them to learn right if you want them to fully understand what you want them to do. I'm not a trainer but people have complimented on how well behaved she is - she makes me very proud Big Grin I think the key to learning them is being clear in what you're saying and be mindful of what tone you're using as you don't want to use a bad tone of voice when you want them to do something as they'll think they're doing something bad, having a rescue dog that was quite important when I first got her and began training as she was a very shy and timid little girl (not anymore! Big Grin ). Dogs learn a lot about you and what to do through the tone of your voice so I really do think that's a key point. Being clear on why words you use is also a must, sometimes when telling ebony to stay she'll sit and then walk to me as I don't speak clear enough! For how often I train her ect, I don't really have a schedule I stick to but each day I do just get her to preform some of her tricks so I know they're still in there somewhere Laughing I also make sure I test her in public, out on the fields when she's running and usually ask for some kind of trick before I give her her dinner, or throw her ball ect so she's constantly doing the things I taught her without her really realizing it.

When I first started training her I'd reward AS SOON as she showed me the behavior I wanted to her to do so for example teaching her paw; I'd hold the treat in my hand with her sitting infront of me and I'd keep saying paw and she'd look at me like I'm some crazy person, as soon as she put her paw on my hand to try and open it for a treat I'd reward her with fuss, but keep the treat in my hand so she'd keep trying to get it, eventually she knew that paw means put my hand on mommy a hand, when she put her paw on my hand as soon as I said paw I'd then give her a treat and do that a few more times to make sure she'd grasped it! Then I'd leave it for a while and after a few minutes I'd ask for paw again and make a big fuss about it! From that I've taught her giving me paw using both paws, she waves at me when I wave at her, she'll give me a high five when I'm sitting and when I'm standing she'll jump up and touch my hands ect. She even opens doors for me when my hands are full if I saw let me in Laughing Laughing

So really I think that it's all a big game of progress, you need to get the key behaviors learnt then you can slowly adapt and work with them - but every dog is different and learns different so it's all about what works for you and your dog! I did want to clicker train ebony as I think she'd really work well with it but I never got round to doing it Sad

Her hardest behavior to learn was stay as she's very attached to me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down