Advice pls

4 posters

Go down

Advice pls Empty Advice pls

Post by AussieStaff Wed Dec 02 2015, 21:53

Hi guys, just looking for some advice. My 14yr old son is coming from NZ to stay with us for a month next week, he's perfectly comfortable with Koda although last time they saw each other was in April (Koda 18 mths then). My question is, whenever we have anyone stay Koda wants to sleep on their bed (he sleeps on ours every night) and he is relentless at getting there - if the door is shut he will literally sit outside and whine until someone gives in and let's him in. My son won't mind him sleeping on his bed (won't be his preference though) but when Koda goes to bed he will want to wrestle 1st and I would rather my son didn't do this with him as he's not experienced and Koda gets very excited and can nip/occassionally draw blood etc. How can I go about teaching Koda that when he hops onto the bed it's time for rest/sleep and not play time ? My son will push him away if he starts to get excited but Koda will think he's playing and want to start wrestling. When Koda comes to bed with us he lays straight down and knows not to try playing but I know from previous experiences with friends/fam staying he'll def want to have a playfight before settling. Am trying to avoid my son wanting to shut him out of the room and make it nice for everyone. Thanks in advance guys.
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Advice pls Empty Re: Advice pls

Post by -Ian- Thu Dec 03 2015, 00:25

Ok yup get it, your son needs to take control. The rules you and your other half have need to be applied with your son. If Koda plays up you just tell him to settle in a firm way right, with your son Koda needs to know the same rules apply or he's off the bed.

And that's the key, tell your son to take no messin, hoof Koda off the bed unless he wants to settle. The message should settle in pretty quick if he wants to sleep with your boy but tell him that's how he needs to start from the first night.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Advice pls B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03 2015, 08:05

I'm with Ian, get your son to take control of the situation by asking for sit, down, whatever Koda can do, and if Koda gets excited then he gets kicked out of the bedroom.

Alternatively, if Koda sleeps with you anyway, what about having him in with you and the door closed?

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Thu Dec 03 2015, 10:02

Thanks guys, think I'll be training my teenager as well as Koda ! Smile

Couldn't have him in our room with the door shut because I'm claustrophoebic, but also he'd whine (& I'm not kidding when I say all night long - he's relentless!) wanting to get to the other bedroom knowing someone was in there.
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by kattie Thu Dec 03 2015, 10:59

I also agree make sure your son takes control, sure koda will get it if he sees your son as an authority figure Smile good luck
kattie
kattie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Millie Jasper
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years, 8 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 82

https://www.facebook.com/CanineCoachingCareDogWalkingServices?re

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Thu Dec 03 2015, 13:32

If your wee boy gets out the bed when koda jumps on. If it was me id get him to ignore him a wee while till koda lies on the bed and settled get your son to sit on the edge of the bed at first then attemptto move the covers and get in if kodas still settled give him a treat . He will be excited at first , get kodas involved as much activity as possible together Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Advice pls B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317