Advice please :)

3 posters

Go down

Advice please :) Empty Advice please :)

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:21

Hi guys, im looking for advice please. Im planning a sponsered walk next year around the Coastal Path in Wales (870 miles) skip I'd like to do the whole thing, but im aware this could be too much. Ideally, i'd like Kenny with me. Im going to start a bit of training as soon as i've worked out my route/accomadtion. What im concerned about is how many miles could Kenny walk safely. Any advice most welcome Smile
sluggish

Back to top Go down

Advice please :) Empty Re: Advice please :)

Post by Chantel Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:27

Wow, 870 miles is some distance. It would take me at least 87 days Big Grin

I cannot warrent a guess at how many miles a staff can do in a day. I suppose on top of that, weather also plays a role. You could probably do more miles on a cooler day than you would on a hot day.

Impressive to say the least
Chantel
Chantel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:32

I would think that if you kept it at 10 miles a day it wouildn't be an issue. A little more could also be okay dependant on the temperature and terrain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:35

I know, it's a big idea Smile , even a bit crazy. It will take weeks and alot of training, but it's a cause very close to my heart and a very fitting tribute to my little sis. Im just concered that im taking on to much maybe. The walk is nothing compared to the fight my sister put up when we lost her. Sad
I need to decide if i should challange my self to the whole thing, or choose a start and finisf point. What do you think? Smile
I've spoken to the Charity i'd donate to, and their happy for me to do it. Im waiting for a call regarding paper work and so on. Im hopeing to get some publisity too, i want to raise awareness, which i think is not very good at the moment. In other words, i want to tell the world, PLEASE DONT DO THIS!!

A bit of background.-- I got a call last year saying my sister had taken an overdose. She had been suffering from depression for some time, but kept it from us. Her partner only became aware of what she had done days later. When i saw her, she was a shadow of her former self. As a person she was the most fun loving, positive person i've ever known. She has never done anything like this. Also, her mental health was questionable, it was more than depression.
Our family still dont know when she took the tablets and what made her do it. This is why i need to raise awareness. She toke aprox 32 parocetomol. My message is this.
When you feel depressed and cant go on, dont do anything. If you take paroctamol, after 12 hours "choice is taken away". Often people can feel like this, then the next day feel fine. You may want to live, but chances are, you wont. It toke my sister 10 days to die. sorry about it being so grafic, but bluntly put, this is how it goes. Although, i will get advice on wording the message i want to put across.

Last edited by kenny d on Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:56; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantel Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:48

Choosing a start and finish will be an accomplishment, but doing it all will chalenge you. When people are faced with adversity or when they are challenged beyond limits, the sence of accomplishment is so much more. Especially for a good cause and in memory of a loved one.

I think its well worth a try, and you know what, even if you decide half way that it is enough, you gave it your best.
Chantel
Chantel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 13:12

I agree with jstaff if you kept it to 10 miles a day but do training before hand I can't see a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Aug 06 2012, 13:27

Wow, that is amazing and I wish you all the best! Let me know how to sponser you when its all arranged.

Would Kenny be offlead? Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 14:22

No, kept on-lead. His recall isnt very good, and any sign of a seagull, he'd take off lol Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 14:30

well if he needs to be on lead, i'd get a walking belt and put him on that, I have one that the boys go on which i'll use when doing caniX makes life alot easier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 14:56

Wow Kelly, that would be some challenge for both of you. The futherest Tyson and I have walked in one go is 10 km (5 miles = 8km). Depending on your pace this would be 2 - 3 hours. With the proper training you may be able to do two sessions a day (morning and afternoon)with a long rest over the midday period.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 15:02

I just need to plan and prepare well, i think we'll have a great time Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 15:11

I don't know how many miles a day is good for a Staff to walk, but I have a lot of respect for you for doing this and wish you the best.

Also, I think it's best to try to do the whole thing. I say that because the mind can be mean lol if you pick a start and end point then even if you go past it, your mind might be thinking "welll, I've already done as far as I said I could go" and influence your body. Whereas if you're determined to finish it (and you do sound like you have a lot of determination) then your mind and optimism can keep you going. That's what I think anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Aug 06 2012, 15:30

i dont know Can you get trainers for dogs ?? Smile

May be worth asking your vet for some advice regarding the distance to cover for Kenny
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 15:53

My hubby does coastal walking with Ty and he loves it. Rog tryes to keep him off lead as much as poss so hes walking at his own pace. Ty will easily do 10 miles a day. One thing to watch out for though is the terrain. Up on the hills on the grass etc is great but hubby had to one day take ty down on to the beach as that is were the coastal path took him and the terrain was awful really shingley etc and after 5 miles Ty's feet were bleeding swollen and pussing everywhere and had to go to the vet. He could barley walk for a week afterwards. The vet reckoned it was the terrain plus he had a reaction to something. So just a warning! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 16:21

Thanks Blaze, i do need to be aware of all the risks, I'd love Kenny to do this with me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 17:05

Kelly I have no advice to offer re how far etc you and Kenny should or could walk safely, but I do so honour you commitment to your sister.

Paracetamol is a very harmful drug when used in large quantities, which the majority of people are not aware of as Paracetamol is advised for many minor ailments at around maximum dosage of 8 tablets/day.

If caught early enough & the patient has signs of kidney/renal failure (or admits in the ED what they have taken), we can get in there to perform dialysis and hopefully get it out of their system before major Liver failure occurs.

I totally understand your passion and heartbreak, such a sad thing to have lived through.

Whatever you choose, I too will be happy to sponsor you in your quest and I wish you every success if you undertake this journey.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 17:10

Good luck, Kelly, it's such a worthwhile cause.

Kenny's young & fit so as long as you don't overdo it, he should be ok. Have you thought about getting him used to canine boots? That way his feet shouldn't have a problem with the various terrains.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 19:06

Lee, thanks, you have loads of insight, and i asume you are in a medical profession. Your right, if caught in time, lifes can be saved. My sister, i feel, may of had a good chance if she'd told some1, but sadley, she didnt. Thank you for your kind words and support. As for dialyes, she wasnt given this until she was moved to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, 3 days later. They were amazing and done everything they could. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down