dave g
Ben
Kathy
Lee&AJ
8 posters

Go down

Need some advice please Empty Need some advice please

Post by Lee&AJ Sat Jun 30 2012, 13:39

Hi everyone im new to this site and i hope some of you can help me please??

I have already got a 3yr old staff (male) called AJ and i really want another one (a bitch). The problem im faced with is that is it a good idea?? what i mean by that is would another staff be good for AJ or do you think he would be much happier being the only dog? When i take him for walks all he wants to do is play with other dogs which is fine when we are out but its different when he's in his own house/den. would this be a problem? do staffs like to be in a pack?? The last thing i want to do is buy another puppy and it be a disaster and have to give the puppy up.

any advice would be great. I know all dogs are different but if you can help then please do.

many thanks.

Lee&AJ
Lee&AJ
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : AJ
Dog(s) Ages : 3yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Need some advice please Empty Re: Need some advice please

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 13:48

If they're introduced properly & supervised so that things don't get out of hand, there's no problem at all. Even some DA dogs will get on well with a pup introduced the right way. thumbs up

I would advise, though, that if you haven't neutered AJ then it would be best to do so!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 13:48

your dogs at a good age to introduce a new pup old anough to be through the puppy stage so not jumping all over so will train a new pup to settle in and he is still young so can keep up with a full speed pup lol
people say its a lot easy having differant sex dogs than having two males or two female.
only question i have is your dog nuetered as thats prob the hardest part of having one of each keeping them apart in the first second and third seasons before spaying

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jun 30 2012, 14:29

Most people here you may well find would have a male and a female together rather than 2 same sex dogs.

Having said that there is no reason why say to males couldn't get along, it's all about getting the introduction correct to start with.

It may be an idea to look at a rescue centre that way you can take your dog in with you to introduce him to some of the dogs there under controlled conditions.

Good luck in your search.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sat Jun 30 2012, 14:29

I have three that get on splendidly. They wrestle and play like wild things but then chill and cuddle up together. As Caryll and Warren said really. Just never leave the two alone as things can get out of hand or they can encourage eachother to be naughty (lost a couch that way...). Your boy sounds like my Monte. He would pine for every dog he saw. He still loves everybody and every dog he meets. Each dog is an individual though so you have to know your own.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Sat Jun 30 2012, 16:34

If its a pup you are getting it shoundnt be a problem, the only problem you will get is when shes comes in to season,you will have to keep the apart which is never easy..
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 22:39

Same as everyone has already said. MAke sure you introduce them properly and don't leave them unsupervised and it should not be any problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Sun Jul 01 2012, 00:02

I have 2 male and female both not neutered and whilst we are out they are both in their crates ( which they love)
Skye loves playing with other dogs but there's not many in the area she could play with so when we found buster needing a good home we did a trial and he never went back ( there has been some teething probs but that's more down to how he was treated
I've always had 2 or more dogs at the same time so find it easier( in a sense with 2 but that's just me)
The only thing I have to watch is them playing sometimes it can get a bit too rough but I just tell them enough and they stop

Good luck in finding your new addition to your fur family
Xx Skye buster and me
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Melwilk47 Sun Jul 01 2012, 06:22

Hey there!
AJ is at a good age to have a puppy introduced into the home, but as everyone else has said just make sure you introduce them slowly and keep a watch over them.
I have 2 dogs, one female and one male. My female is a year old and my male is 6 months. She was around 7 months old which maybe was a bit young to introduce a new puppy, as ideally a few years older would have a better chance, but it seemed to go very smoothly. She was a little bit jealous at first as well as very excited about having a puppy around. I think it's important to give them equal attention so that the older dog knows that he is not being replaced or feeling left out, which is what we did. We supervised the two of them every time they were together for the first month or so, and when we first brought the pup home exposed them to each other in small does, until slowly we felt that they were comfortable with each other. It's also important that the older pup knows their boundaries and not to let play get out of hand, although some play is good as it helps them bond.
We always made sure that we fed them in separate bowls so that they were not fighting for food, and if one gets a treat so does the other. Ours slept in different rooms for the first 6-8 weeks until we knew that they would be ok alone, and both feel comfortable in each other's presence.
Well this is just one example, and although this wouldn't necessarily work in every situation as all dogs are different, it seemed to work for us, and now they are the best of friends! They cuddle up all the time and genuinely love each others company! Big Grin If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask Smile
Good luck! Big Grin :p

Melwilk47
Melwilk47
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Need some advice please Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jack & Juno
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months & 14 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Jul 02 2012, 17:02

hi & welcome to the forum Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 17:36

Hi and welcome to the forum from Tyson & me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 18:24

Hello and welcome from me and the kids Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Tue Jul 03 2012, 14:43

Hello and welcome from me the wife and marley
steve76
steve76