Advice on new rescue staffie please

5 posters

Go down

Advice on new rescue staffie please Empty Advice on new rescue staffie please

Post by Newstaffieowner30 Sat May 13 2017, 12:09

Hi everyone, a couple of days ago my partner and I adopted a 3 and a half year old staffie bitch. This is the first Staffie that either of us have owned and she is a bundle of joy and so loving and friendly to us. She came from a single dog house hold with young children and apparently a pet mouse that she would try and play with. We have 2 cats that we have kept separate from honey (our new staffie) so far but when she see the cats through the window or through the door into the conservatory where the cats are sleeping and eating she will fixate on them and stay very still, no tail wagging and if they make a sudden movement she will lunge towards them. My partner is worried that this is aggressive behaviour and is scared that when it comes to the time that we introduce face to face properly it won't go well. Has anyone had a experience with rescue staffies? The lady we got her off said she wasn't bothered by cats at alll. Thanks in advance, Rob
Newstaffieowner30
Newstaffieowner30
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice on new rescue staffie please Empty Re: Advice on new rescue staffie please

Post by -Ian- Sat May 13 2017, 15:10

Hi & Advice on new rescue staffie please Welcome

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have a number of seasonal just for fun Staffy picture competitions throughout the year. If you have a great picture don't be shy, post it. You might just win! Even if you don't enter do take the time to vote for your favourite and support those that enter Here

This Forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Advice on new rescue staffie please Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Advice on new rescue staffie please Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Advice on new rescue staffie please Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Advice on new rescue staffie please Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Advice on new rescue staffie please Icon_arrow See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Advice on new rescue staffie please B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Advice on new rescue staffie please Empty Re: Advice on new rescue staffie please

Post by -Ian- Sat May 13 2017, 15:16

Hi ya Rob, welcome to the forum from Flo and me Big Grin

Well done on the rescue thumbs up my girl is a rescue too and it does take a while for them to adjust to new surroundings. She may well be fine with cats but everything is so new for her that it's probably just a reaction, it certainly doesn't mean they won't get on going forward.

When you do allow them to meet ensure that the cats have somewhere high to climb to should the encounter not go so well. Over time I suspect she will realise they are part of the home and are not for chasing or even get bored with trying.

There are lots here that have Staffies and cats living in relative harmony so be cautious for sure but hopefully all will settle down over the next week or so.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 13 2017, 18:03

Hi and welcome from me and mine! And well done on giving Honey a lovely new home.

Yes, there are many dogs who can learn to live with cats but I think we need to be realistic and say there are others for who it is too much. Fingers crossed she's one of the former.

You can help her with this but showing her what's expected, by keeping her excitement down and by rewarding her for not bothering the cats. While making sure the cats have their escape routes, as Ian says, have Honey on a training line, something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K9-CUSHION-WEBBING-TRAINING-TRACKING-LUNGE-LONG-LINE-13-COLOURS-2-WIDTHS-/262225706542?var=&hash=item3d0ddebe2e:m:myc1Dk8CfL-2ebW_RhjVbng

I prefer the narrower width - the wider ones are less easy in the hand I find. They're also great for out and about if there are situations where you don't want her fully off the lead but want her to have the freedom to snuffle about, for example in your early days together when you're not sure of her recall or in more exciting situations.

Sit with her and the cats in the same room, with the line relaxed but not long enough that she could reach a cat. When she looks at a cat, call her name and say 'watch me', while holding a treat to your face. When she looks at you, give her the treat. If she looks at you without you asking you can give her a treat too, but not too much as you don't want her to learn, effectively, to beg for a treat by simply looking gorgeous.

Encourage her to relax. It doesn't matter terribly if she's sitting, lying or standing, she just needs to have relaxed muscles and not be braced to lunge. When she goes from tense to relaxed, praise her and give her a treat.

If she's food motivated, you can help her by giving her something yummy to chew. Eating is relaxing for dogs.

What you're doing in all of this is making not chasing the cats good and teaching her that ignoring them will get her a fuss and treats from you.

If she does lunge at them, don't scold her or anything, simply call her to you, ask for 'watch me' and reward her when she does look.

Make sure you don't ask too much of her too soon. If she finds it hard, only do it for a few minutes, wait for a good moment, praise her and leave it for that session. Little and often is more effective than one long session. You also need to be fair on the cats.

Oh, and make sure you keep relaxed as well as she will pick up on your tension. Some nice soothing music and a glass of wine might help!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sun May 14 2017, 06:24

Can't add to already great advice just give your cats time to adjust is vitally important .

Advice on new rescue staffie please B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Tue May 16 2017, 20:56

Hiya from me and Vinnie, well done on rescuing all good advice above Big Grin

Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Jnestie84 Fri May 19 2017, 12:10

Hi welcome along. Very well done on deciding to rescue Smile

Advice on new rescue staffie please B310

Jnestie84

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Support total : 85

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down