Help with excitable dog around people

+2
Inez Maria
JStaff
6 posters

Go down

Help with excitable dog around people Empty Help with excitable dog around people

Post by b_phippsy Mon Sep 07 2015, 11:21

So Harley is 13 months old and in general is really obedient with commands but as of late his pulling towards people has become a lot more. Without distractions he walks perfectly on the collar and lead but when he even sees a person in the distance he pulls like anything and I find it hard to hold him as he is 18kg of excitable muscle. If I were on a narrow path and someone walks towards us I put the lead across my body and try and keep him tight to my body but he still tries to jump up on the person.
I tried a half check collar and tried giving him a sharp tug to the side but this didn't work as he is already pulling to much in front.
I've made him sit and wait for the person to walk past but he does lunge, he isn't interested in any treats he just wants to talk to the person.
I'm feeling fed up as I can tell people judge me and think I cant control my dog when really without distraction he is so good. 
Just to add we have a trixie harness and a padded Ezy dog collar with a double ended lead that we are now walking him on just not sure how to train him to not pull towards people would love him to go back into his leather set but soon but at the moment hes pulling to much.

Thanks
b_phippsy
b_phippsy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 78

Back to top Go down

Help with excitable dog around people Empty Re: Help with excitable dog around people

Post by JStaff Mon Sep 07 2015, 14:23

Have you tried a no pull harness? If treats are not working and he won't sit have you tried turning around when he pulls. Takes some time but normally works
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Help with excitable dog around people Empty Re: Help with excitable dog around people

Post by b_phippsy Mon Sep 07 2015, 19:40

Thanks J staff yes we had a no pull harness and it was very good but rubbed a little so we changed to a fleece lined one and he seems to be doing fine with it. Yes when teaching him to walk we always either use the stop like a statue technique or turn the other way. I will have to try it when he pull to people even if i look like a loony lol. 
I also think hes pushing boundaries as today he walked like a dream and hardly pulled but other days he gets me so frustrated because he pulls like mad. oh well suppose its part of owning such a friendly breed they love people Smile
b_phippsy
b_phippsy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Mon Sep 07 2015, 20:08

Try the figure of eight easy leader or halti, also the sit and watch me command with a tasty treat maybe sausage held to the bridge of your nose, calm speaking is also more effective too Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Help with excitable dog around people B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by b_phippsy Mon Sep 07 2015, 20:34

What do I need to buy Inez is it the whole thing or just the head bit ?
b_phippsy
b_phippsy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Sep 08 2015, 17:10

halti works wonders for my boy, once on its as if I'm walking air! I would definitely recommend it although it takes at least two weeks to get them used to wearing one Smile it's worth it though
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Tue Sep 08 2015, 18:52

When you see the person walk the other way then walk toward the person again keep doing this. Have sausage or another tasty treat handy it is hard but persistance will pay off keeping calm is essential though frustrating, as a lot of the time it isnt easy. Its just about what works really i understand the teenage phase is frustrating you are telling him what you want to do and not what harley wants to do. Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Help with excitable dog around people B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Sep 08 2015, 21:55

Agree with Inez - teaching an alternative command such as "focus" with a treat, and suitable head harness would be useful in keeping him under close control whilst training. I used a halti with Bug for a year (she was a lunger, at dogs/people/cars!) just remember to train your dog to wear it, similarly to how you would muzzle train, as not all dogs will take to it immediately and need some positive work around it. I would be careful regarding correcting him with leash yanks etc around people approaching - you don't want him to associate people with something bad happening to him. Keep it positive, and if he isn't interested in food, try and just reward with praise, but keep things chilled and low level.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by b_phippsy Tue Sep 08 2015, 21:59

Thank you every one for the great advice Big Grin
b_phippsy
b_phippsy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down