i really need some help with my excitable staffy

3 posters

Go down

i really need some help with my excitable staffy Empty i really need some help with my excitable staffy

Post by richyboy111 Mon Sep 16 2013, 14:48

its really getting to me now, my dog is 4 years old, and gets very very exited when people come round to mine. he dont realise how rough he is being and constant windging/crying noise, no matter how much i tell him he dont listen, its anightmare and really getting to me now. i even put him away in the kitchen but then he still knows that someone else is here as he can hear the voise and starts to windge/cry again Sad. any tips on this please? really need some help. thanks

richyboy111
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blake
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

i really need some help with my excitable staffy Empty Re: i really need some help with my excitable staffy

Post by Guest Mon Sep 16 2013, 15:14

Poor dog, he's really stressing out, isn't he?

Can I ask you a couple of questions?
1. What do you feed him
2. What do you do when someone comes round?

Back to top Go down

i really need some help with my excitable staffy Empty Re: i really need some help with my excitable staffy

Post by Guest Mon Sep 16 2013, 15:57

Definitely think those questions are important. Smile Diet can have a huge effect on a dog's behaviour; more so than most people think!

Last edited by Eleanor on Mon Sep 16 2013, 15:57; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by richyboy111 Mon Sep 16 2013, 15:57

i have to feed him dry food mixed with wet food as if i just offer him dry food he hardley eats it and starts to go thin, also when people come round i let him in the room but hes just to rough so i have him sit in between my legs and thats when he starts to cry, or if i lock him out the room he will also cry

richyboy111

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 16 2013, 15:58

I think she meant what brand of food is it? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 16 2013, 16:00

richyboy111 wrote:i have to feed him dry food mixed with wet food as if i just offer him dry food he hardley eats it and starts to go thin, also when people come round i let him in the room but hes just to rough so i have him sit in between my legs and thats when he starts to cry, or if i lock him out the room he will also cry
It could be sheer frustration. If he's gotten into the habit of crying, and then being allowed to do what he wants to do (in this case, it may be that he thinks making noise will get you to allow him to go and see the people), it could be a vicious cycle. What behaviour does he show? Smile Movement, ears, eyes, panting, etc.?

Back to top Go down

Post by richyboy111 Mon Sep 16 2013, 16:04

he does pant aswell yes, i think he just wants to be fussed by whoever is here as not alot of people come to visit, so when people do come here its something new for him and wants to say hello, its the crying thats annoyin Sad he shows pure excitement to people and no aggression to them at all

richyboy111

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 16 2013, 16:26

Definitely sounds like frustration/excitement. How do people react to him when he does it? Do they give him attention? If so, this often fuels it and encourages the whining. You could try getting him to sit and asking people not to acknowledge him while he's making noise and getting excited. Once he calms down and people are settled, letting him go over and sniff them is a good way for him to say Hello. Once he's completely calm and sure of himself, the visitors can then be allowed to stroke him. It can take a while to get results, but it often works! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 16 2013, 20:34

Exactly what Eleanor says!

Also, the brand of food you give him can make a huge difference to behaviour. What brand is he getting at the moment?

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sun Sep 22 2013, 22:43

Hi, my dog is still only young (15 months) but she gets uber excited when anyone comes round (which isn't very often). We have a boomer ball which she loves and I get this out if people come round and she plays with this and brings this to their feet, it stops her jumping up.

If she does jump up we send her to her basket, she goes of her own accord and comes out 2 seconds later but she knows not to jump up.

Its not 100% effective but it stops the jumping up to a certain extent.

is there any toy your dog loves above anything else

Julia
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
i really need some help with my excitable staffy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by beastman667 Thu Oct 31 2013, 14:27

You shouldn't have to bribe the dog with a toy, you are actually encouraging the behavior and making it worse because the dog will connect the fact that when someone comes to the door a toy is to be received.

The easiest way to deal with this issue is just to start with ignoring your puppy when YOU come through the door, then tell everyone who visits to do the same.

I did this with my dog from the get-go, nowadays when I come home from work he will simply come to the door, look at me, then wait to see which room I go to and follow me. Once he sits down and makes eye contact then affection can be given.

beastman667
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Fri Nov 08 2013, 21:09

We did try the ignoring and she doesn't jump up on us anymore. As with the postee, we don't get many visitors to us as we live miles away from family so when visitors do come she got very excited. The toy is her way of calming herself down, she loves her boomer ball and gets the visitors to play with her, after the initial bout of playing she is calm and the visitors don't get mauled so its a win win situation for everyone.

The situation has not got worse and has worked for us. The original postee wanted solutions, this was ours.

Julia
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
i really need some help with my excitable staffy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down