Over excitable Staffy boy

2 posters

Go down

Over excitable Staffy boy Empty Over excitable Staffy boy

Post by browndog Fri Oct 20 2017, 10:20

Hi everyone. I wonder if anyone has any advice?
I have a 2 and a half year old Staffy He is a lovely boy who I inherited at one year old from a family member. He often stayed with me so he knew me well and knew my other dogs, who he gets on with very well.
My problem (one of them)  is that he is over excitable when anyone comes into the house or if I take him anywhere where there are people. He loves people so much and it is like he just cannot control himself. He jumps on people not stop, completely ignores my commands to "come here" although he is very obedient at other times. He goes completely deliberately deaf. If I try to hold onto him he will pull out of his collar or wriggle free from my hands by any method he can so that he can get back to pulverising anyone he wants to- albeit in a loving way. If we are in the park, I cannot let him off because he does this to anyone he sees and it is not appreciated, which i understand. At home, I used to put him in his crate until he calmed down when we had people come to the house but he does not use his crate anymore and I have put it away. I could take it out again, but this does not solve the problem of him getting over excited at any other place, outwith my home.
I have tried methods like asking people to ignore him, but that does not work. If they turn their back he just jumps on their back or legs or gets around the front of them. When he is like that, he is not calm enough to try to train him with treats either. He is immensely strong and manages to pull away from me one way or another if I try to hold onto him.
I would appreciate any advice or help.

Last edited by browndog on Fri Mar 16 2018, 13:00; edited 1 time in total

browndog
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Over excitable Staffy boy Empty Re: Over excitable Staffy boy

Post by gillybrent Fri Oct 20 2017, 17:26

Sounds an energetic boy!

I think Liz will be the one to answer this.....

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down