Recall

+2
Mia05
Emmahammond25
6 posters

Go down

Recall Empty Recall

Post by Emmahammond25 Mon May 18 2015, 15:29

can anyone give me some tips on how to get Marley to master the recall? He comes bk sometimes and wen I walk towards him he runs, he does know his name but doesn't listen to me sometimes?
Emmahammond25
Emmahammond25
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 16/03/2015
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 72

Back to top Go down

Recall Empty Re: Recall

Post by Guest Mon May 18 2015, 18:33

Practise around the house, when he's near you call 'Marley come' and give him a treat, each and every time. Call him from another room, in the garden, anywhere but ONLY when he's likely to come, so not when he's eating, asleep, etc.

The practise out and about at random times, again keeping it easy - calling him when he's looking at you and not distracted. Always call in a nice, happy voice and always praise and treat. If he has a favourite toy, you can take that with you and play with him when he comes back, whatever will make you the best place in the whole wide world to be.

Then, if he doesn't come and stands there looking at you, walk away. I say 'bye bye' and they soon learn that you will leave them. Or, you can try the slightly side on play bow method, where you get down on your knees and slap the floor with your hands as a dog would do play bowing. That worked brilliantly with Millie when she decided, aged 3 months, that the back door was a guillotine which was going to get her. Play and treat when they do come.

The reason he walks away from you when you walk towards him is that he wants you to chase him. Chasing is a great game and he wants you to join in. So another technique is for you to run and get him to chase you.

Try and see what works for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmahammond25 Mon May 18 2015, 20:23

Great thank you will start the recall around the house Smile
Emmahammond25
Emmahammond25

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 16/03/2015
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon May 18 2015, 20:50

Smile brilliant advice as always liz Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Recall B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Mon May 18 2015, 23:32

LizP wrote:Practise around the house, when he's near you call 'Marley come' and give him a treat, each and every time. Call him from another room, in the garden, anywhere but ONLY when he's likely to come, so not when he's eating, asleep, etc.

The practise out and about at random times, again keeping it easy - calling him when he's looking at you and not distracted. Always call in a nice, happy voice and always praise and treat. If he has a favourite toy, you can take that with you and play with him when he comes back, whatever will make you the best place in the whole wide world to be.

Then, if he doesn't come and stands there looking at you, walk away. I say 'bye bye' and they soon learn that you will leave them. Or, you can try the slightly side on play bow method, where you get down on your knees and slap the floor with your hands as a dog would do play bowing. That worked brilliantly with Millie when she decided, aged 3 months, that the back door was a guillotine which was going to get her. Play and treat when they do come.

The reason he walks away from you when you walk towards him is that he wants you to chase him. Chasing is a great game and he wants you to join in. So another technique is for you to run and get him to chase you.

Try and see what works for you.

Excellent advice
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by RiV Tue May 19 2015, 04:57

Also while on a lead go backwards calling come be playful and fun when he gets to you go over the top with play.

Cheers
RiV
RiV
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Tue Jun 23 2015, 11:09

I use a long line with buddy if I am out and there are likely to be lots of distractions just let it trail and keep calling him and treating when he comes - if you call and he doesn't come a little tug on the line and then another "come" will remind him what is expected of him..it is hard I know I am so worried Buddy wont comeback , but so far he has I think the line is more to help me than him! , but the parks I walk him in are near roads so I would rather be safe than sorry ..
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jun 23 2015, 14:12

I do exactly what's been said above.. I never run after Zeus when he's off lead in a park because he think it's a game.

I've always ran away from him, he then realises I'm going to leave him (which of course, I'm not) and in turn stays around me.

He's now 3 years old and when he's off lead, he stays around me, when he does go a bit further, he keeps looking back to see where I am and if I get too far from him or if I think he's too far from me, I just turn around and he comes running back.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down