Recall

4 posters

Go down

Recall Empty Recall

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 11:45

Im taking vinnie and skye away with us in september to Devon for a week .. i want to make sure that they both have excellent recall encase that there is a chance they get of the lead etc .. they are always on extendable leads or 50ft training lines when up the field and at the park so they get that freedom but i can still reel em in.
Can anybody give me some good advice on how to teach them perfect recall? .. Vinnie has been showing signs when i take him up the field on his training line when i call his name he turns around, when i say stop he usually stops lol .. when i say wait he usually waits and leave etc.
Skye is a bit of a tester sometimes she'll do it straight off, sometimes she'll take a few tellings lol lil madam!
But yeah i want it perfected before we go away so that if they ever get off they will listen and wont run off.
i have untill september to get them fully recall trained so not like i dont have the time haha.

Back to top Go down

Recall Empty Re: Recall

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 11:48

Just more of what you're doing now. There's no simple answer to recall training & some dogs get there quicker than others.

Dempsey's recall isn't good & probably never will be, but his 'stay' is excellent, so I use that to control him & then I can catch up & put him on lead. Mind you, I never let him get more than about 50 yards away from me so I know a) the stay will work & b) I can catch up with him if I need to!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 12:12

Herman responds well to special or "high value" treats, meaning treats he only gets for specific situations. Herman is starting to test us now so we need something that really motivates him. The weird part is he will stop immediately and come back without being called if I slip on the ice or something. He likes to chase things that blow around in the wind and so on, so it's odd that he will stop in his tracks without being told and come back if I accidently drop his lead. confused

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jan 24 2012, 12:16

Just keep up the practice. Moo's recall is perfect but I was lucky as she was from day one. Practice makes perfect and use what works for you Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Renata Tue Jan 24 2012, 12:22

can use whistle. many people use it and it works;)
Renata
Renata
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ramzi
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 13:27

Thanks guys Smile .. so il keep up the training n fingers crossed it pays off Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 16:18

Keep us informed. Would love to know how you are doing and maybe get some hope for my boy getting this one down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Jan 24 2012, 17:32

Keep us posted, as I am interested. As Pixee is re homed with us from the blue cross, her re call is not brillant, due to her being a stray for how long we dont know, and she follows her nose. She is getting better, unless something really gets her attention, then re call is no good. Hence she is always on the flexi lead, we give her a longer lead for a good run round in the fields. Her stay is good, wait too is good. Around the home, when I am working in the kitchen, as I have a island, she knows my area is out of bounds when I am cooking, and is so brillant, I always reward her for it.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:39

Will keep you informed Smile .. vinnies great with his commands etc its little miss that needs more work! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:48

I would say if you are in any doubt about recall then keep him on a long line.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 20:33

Thats exactly why they stay on long leads hun Smile .. i wont let them of because i dont trust ME to trust them enough to have excellant recall .. i just want to work on it encase they ever managed to get off

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down