pulling

2 posters

Go down

pulling  Empty pulling

Post by loobyloo70 Sun Jun 19 2011, 14:45

hi everyone im wondering if anyone can help me with my problem ,i have a 2 yr old staffy female she absolutley adorable ,very gentle ,loving and extremley affectionate,in every way with everyone she meets ,and with other dogs ,
i am having major problems with walking her ,i have treid the collar ,the harness and even the halti collar but all she does is take it off her nose .
she pulls from the get go which is hard work as she is so strong ,but within a few mins of walking shes breating very heavily ,salivating which can end up all over her head ,and she looks like shes got a case of rabies .i cannot walk her very far as she then starts kangeroo hoping and by the time we get home shes just about delerious she s all over the place like shes had 10 pints .she walks like shes about to collapse and fall over .
it scares me that one day she will keel over and die ,i adore this dog ....please has anyone else had this problem or can anyone give me any advise im now getting desperate and im scared to walk her

loobyloo70
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : stella
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

pulling  Empty Re: pulling

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19 2011, 15:05

Our 19 month old is doing very similar things although not as bad, so I feel for you.
Izzy used to walk quite well on loose lead but for some reason over the last 6 months we have been experiencing "pulling, kangaroo hopping and really bad panting (although not salivating)". I'm beginning to think we need to do some re training and go back to basics in regard to walking as it seems like she's forgotten all she learned 12 months ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19 2011, 15:11

I remember seeing a dog that went berserk being walked on a lead on a tv show...... everytime the dog starting pulling and going crazy the owner had to either turn around and go the other way.. or stand still...the dog eventually got the message.. but it was a long process and the owner had to be consistent!
Sorry I can't give you any other advice.. hopefully someone else will have some more info.
Could you go and have a few lessons at a dog club or something?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19 2011, 15:20

That is what they teach in dog training. If the dog starts pulling you stop, turn and head in the other direction, the dog then follows and walks next to you again. You keep doing this over and over until the dog learns to walk alongside of you. This is what I feel we (well probably me) will have to do with Izzy. The funny thing is when we let her off the lead and after she's had her run and sniff etc, she walks next to you with no lead as good as gold applause

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19 2011, 17:21

vanessa wrote:

I remember seeing a dog that went berserk being walked on a lead on a tv show...... everytime the dog starting pulling and going crazy the owner had to either turn around and go the other way.. or stand still...the dog eventually got the message.. but it was a long process and the owner had to be consistent!
Sorry I can't give you any other advice.. hopefully someone else will have some more info.
Could you go and have a few lessons at a dog club or something?

This is the advice I would give, too. It gets very boring & you'll not get anywhere for the first couple of weeks, but she'll learn eventually. They end up so confused about which way they're going that they start to watch you and stay with you!

Back to top Go down

Post by loobyloo70 Sun Jun 19 2011, 18:51

thanks everyone for the advice i will give it a go it will b hard work as stubborn is not the word lol

loobyloo70

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 04:53

hey and you know what they say.. practise makes perfect !! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 06:42

I agree with the method of turning around. I also try to take Suki out after she has eaten so she won't try to eat everything on the ground. I also save a bit of her food and use that to motivate her. This way she will watch your hand and body and be more willing to follow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 08:26

if u find a cure then be sure to let me no lol......Ty is and always has been a big puller even with a years worth of training.....im ashamed to say ive given up now! x

Back to top Go down

Post by loobyloo70 Mon Jun 20 2011, 11:25

think ill need a miracle lol but ill give it a go thanks

loobyloo70

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 12:51

If you're really stuck & nothing seems to work, try a check chain as a last resort......but please use it properly!

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t3292-check-chains-how-to-use-them?highlight=how+to+use+a+check+chain

Back to top Go down

Post by loobyloo70 Tue Jun 21 2011, 08:09

thanks caryll

loobyloo70

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Thu Jul 07 2011, 21:54

hmmmmm Milo's pulling more and more and my friend told me to do the whole change direction thing. Both the pulling and turning around are as annoying as eachother lol! But he's getting better and better off of the lead!!!!!!!!! I also stop and make him sit along with changing directions. It's just not working I look forward to letting him off so arms aren't getting pulled Sad
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
pulling  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down