5 month pup pulling but how can I train with buggy?!

5 posters

Go down

5 month pup pulling but how can I train with buggy?!  Empty 5 month pup pulling but how can I train with buggy?!

Post by mrscams Wed Apr 24 2013, 14:13

Hi all, Reggie is 5 months now & he pulls ALOT on his walks. I've looked up alot on lead training & it mainly says about changing direction when they pull, the problem I've got is I take my little boy out in his buggy when I have to take Reggie on walks so this is near on impossible!!
We've tried a harness but it was recalled by the manufacturers so we returned it but never replaced it- it didn't seem to make a difference at all with his pulling.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?x
mrscams
mrscams
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Reggie
Dog(s) Ages : 6 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

5 month pup pulling but how can I train with buggy?!  Empty Re: 5 month pup pulling but how can I train with buggy?!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 14:16

Is there no way you can take him out seperatley? If not a no pull harness may be of help but the changing direction method is the best to prevent pulling.

Also have you tried the watch me command?

Back to top Go down

5 month pup pulling but how can I train with buggy?!  Empty Re: 5 month pup pulling but how can I train with buggy?!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 14:56

Personally i wouldn't take a dog out with a buggy, but understand some people need to. Can you not get someone to go with you on walks (a friend or someone looking to get out and about) who can push the pram for you? Pulling is something that takes a long time to rectify and it needs to be done consistently from the start, and then through out life. So if you get it wrong now, it will be hard to fix. Working separately will help endlessly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 16:48

You could try a head collar (Halti or Canny Collar) but the easiest & quickest way is the turn around method. You could also try just stopping dead when he pulls & call him back to you with a treat & the command word (heel, close or whatever you want to use)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Apr 24 2013, 16:58

I'd recommend a harness. A good quality comfortable one.

Keep the leash fairly short. When he pulls. Stop. Bring him bk to your side - then carry on - pulls - stop - back.

It WILL take a lot of repetition, but so long as u stick to it and stay consistent - it will begin to pay off.

My girl used to pull like a truck - she's a lot better now but having her on a harness helps a lot. She is easily distracted by literally anything though !

Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by mrscams Fri Apr 26 2013, 15:19

Took Reggie out this morning & he was much better with the pulling. I kept repeating heal when pulling him back & he would walk better beside the buggy.

There isn't really a way I can walk him without taking my son in his buggy unfortunately.
mrscams
mrscams

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Reggie
Dog(s) Ages : 6 weeks

Back to top Go down

5 month pup pulling but how can I train with buggy?!  Empty pup pulling?

Post by garempots Sat Apr 27 2013, 19:47

Our dog is Ruby she is 7 months and still pulls. In fact i tried with her today and there is no way she is too strong. My parter mainly takes her walking and he tries HEEL and pulls her back this is contstant though how do wee stop her doing this and I can enjoy my walks with her instead of getting pulled off my feet.
garempots
garempots
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 19:52

The technique that worked for Logan is, when he started to pull I'd stop walking immediately and wait until he calmed down. Then when he did I'd start walking again.

It took a fair bit of repetition but it works in the end Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Mon Apr 29 2013, 01:47

It's been mentioned a few times but I would also recommend just stopping.
Dogs are pulling because they wanna get somewhere and they wanna get there quickly and pulling works well for that. You need to change that so that pulling NEVER gets her anywhere.
I never did the turn around when I trained Maxi, I just stopped as soon as there was tension on the lead and got her to come back to me and sit next to me, wait a few seconds and then start again. As soon as there is tension stop again and pull her back. In the beginning you will stop literally every meter probably but they'll figure it out eventually that pulling gets them nowhere.
I also brought treats since Maxi is extremely food motivated so when she walked a few seconds without pulling I would give her a treat and then you can gradually make the time longer before she gets the treat. Start with only a couple of seconds, then 10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min and so on. With patience and consistency he'll get there!
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
5 month pup pulling but how can I train with buggy?!  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by marley'smummy Tue Apr 30 2013, 21:22

Train with the walking in your back garden(the change direction does work!!) then so he knows when you go out the same appies, my old dog used to do this unfortunalty for him my lo was just a baby and i had a huge pram and well he got in the way of the wheels needless to say he didnt do it again Rolling Eyes but practise indoors even, you dont have to be out and about to practice it!! Im also a big believer in harness's and marley never goes out in just a collar or he would pull in his harness his a very good boy x
marley'smummy
marley'smummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : DOB-19/08/2012
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down