'Annual' Vaccinations

2 posters

Go down

'Annual' Vaccinations Empty 'Annual' Vaccinations

Post by Guest Thu May 19 2011, 21:44

There's an article in this week's 'Dog World' about whether dogs need to be vaccinated yearly, or every 3 years. Apparently 10 years ago the DOI (Duration of Immunity) for the vaccinations was one year. Nowadays, all of the big pharmaceutical companies produce vaccines that have a DOI of at least 3 years, and with some it's 4 years.

The recent World Small Animal Veterinary Association guidelines 'strongly encourage' vets to move away from the 'one size fits all' vaccination policy & to choose vaccinations that have a DOI of 3 or 4 years.

Next time youre dog needs it's annual booster, ask your vet's policy before you go ahead & if he still advocates every year, politely ask why!

Back to top Go down

'Annual' Vaccinations Empty Re: 'Annual' Vaccinations

Post by janey Thu May 19 2011, 21:56

Thanks for that, her boosters where due a while back and I was wondering whether i should or shouldn't (after reading a lot here). The only thing, boosters are cheaper, if I don't do them, I start at the full vac again and I pay full whack. What do you think? x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19 2011, 22:02

I think that if your vet is using a vaccine that has a DOI of 3 years, then it will still be a booster shot after three years, you won't have to start all over again!

If they are using one with a DOI of 3 years and then advising annual vaccination, then they are fleecing you! Dempsey's will be due in June, and I will be asking in advance which vaccines are used, and what the DOI is.

Armed with the response I will then write to the insurance company with the same information so that they know that vaccinations will be up to date.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu May 19 2011, 22:06

I will ask, but doubt they'll give a straight answer! Put my mind at ease slightly, never missed a boodter before. x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19 2011, 22:08

You could always ask which make of vaccine they use & then look up the DOI on line.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu May 19 2011, 22:10

I will ask, look it up online, not understand, and then ask you Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19 2011, 22:11

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu May 19 2011, 23:32

I have always vaccinated mine until they are 6 years old then stopped as Ive been advised that the dogs immune then has the nessesary rejection needed to protect it.
I think my vet will say its necesary but id rather not fill mine with unesessary drugs to line there pockets. This has been going on now for ages so ill keep my eye on this post Smile
Children get there vacinations and there is no need to do it every year so why do our pets need it?
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19 2011, 23:35

Because the drug companies have always stated that they only have a DOI of a year! They now have DOIs of 3 years+.

The only problem with stopping vaccination completely is if you have insurance. Part of the policy will state that it will become null & void if the boosters are not kept up to date. That's something I will be putting to my insurance company when Dempsey's booster is due.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu May 19 2011, 23:46

I know its a bit of a con cause you cant kennel them without vaccination but if they have a blood test and antibodies are there you can booster and then the kennel will except them.
The proccess I thought of vaccination was to put into the blood system a very minute strain of the said disease then the body will naturally build up antibodies to protect, these last a lifetime so dont understand why the need to vaccine every year Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19 2011, 23:52

gem wrote:I know its a bit of a con cause you cant kennel them without vaccination but if they have a blood test and antibodies are there you can booster and then the kennel will except them.
The proccess I thought of vaccination was to put into the blood system a very minute strain of the said disease then the body will naturally build up antibodies to protect, these last a lifetime so dont understand why the need to vaccine every year Smile

Apparently, according to someone I know who uses boarding kennels, they will accept annual boosters for parvo & lepto, and 3 yearly boosters for the others.

The problem will be insurance companies - we all know how slow they are to accept change!

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu May 19 2011, 23:56

Yes slow especially were money is concerned Smile
Well thanks for the info thumbs up
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 20 2011, 00:08

Very interesting, didn't even consider the insurance. Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20 2011, 00:33

i payed 99 quid and i get jabs 4 life so i may as well keep the insurance company sweet im sure the vets will only give them when its nessasery just to fleece me more lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20 2011, 02:53

Jethro has his needles every year, but when his booster was due this year the vet did tell me there are certain vaccines now that don't need to be given every year. He still had his needles, but it wasn't the all in one that he normally gets. The vet said though next year, he will have to have the all in one. ( the vet has never told me this before )
What are the needles over where you guys live? Here they have a vaccine against canine distemper, canine hepatitis, parvo, kennel cough and tetanus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20 2011, 08:47

this is good to know

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down