Annual Vaccinations. yes or no??

+3
munschk
Keith
Kev13
7 posters

Go down

Lightning Annual Vaccinations. yes or no??

Post by Kev13 Mon Jul 30 2012, 17:16

As i have mentioned in previous posts i had Missy at the Vets this afternoon for a check up. i am glad to say that she is perfectly healthy. Have to keep an eye on her ears though,bit waxy....

The previous owners said they had her vaccinated as a pup and once since then, although i have no proof of this i assume it to be true.

so my question is do you think annual boosters are nessesary?

many people i have spoken to say it is not but because i have never taken her to be vaccinated myself i think i should do it at least once when she would next be due in about 7 months, just for my own peice of mind...
Kev13
Kev13
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Missy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 D.O.B = Nov 5th 2009
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Lightning Re: Annual Vaccinations. yes or no??

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 17:53

I personally prefer to keep their vaccinations up to date with the Annual booster shots. Rather safe than sorry. Did you not receive any records? Vets do issue certificates when you vaccinate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 17:54

No definitely not for me.

My two get puppy jabs, first year booster then no more for life, i certainly do not believe in yearly boosters

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Mon Jul 30 2012, 18:11

*If* I ever get another dog again, I'll pay for annual titer tests instead and vaccinate according to the results.
I'm not a believer in annual jabs for the sake of it (though not getting them *may* cause problems with insurance).
Keith
Keith
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 18:16

ella wrote:No definitely not for me.

My two get puppy jabs, first year booster then no more for life, i certainly do not believe in yearly boosters

Ella, perhaps it is different in the UK. Here in South Africa there are far too many really bad diseases floating in the air and for one, vaccination against rabies is essential here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 18:22

*Lynne* wrote:

Ella, perhaps it is different in the UK. Here in South Africa there are far too many really bad diseases floating in the air and for one, vaccination against rabies is essential here.

Oh there are plenty here and you can get the rabies jab, but i still wouldn't jab yearly and i know of people in SA that don't either, it's potentially to damaging to their health for me

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Mon Jul 30 2012, 18:26

In South Africa, you are required by law to vaccinate your dog yearly against rabies.

But speaking to a Professor who majored in virology, he says that with most current vaccines, you only require boosters every 3 years.

That being said, I plan to boost every year. There are just too many truly horrible diseases out there such as Distemper and Canine Hepatitis that I feel like its such a small cost to prevent something like that and I guess I'm just too nervous to take the chance.
munschk
munschk

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 18:33

Is it not a requirement for Insurance in the UK , not sure but certainly anything caught as a result of not having the jabs would not be covered, personally I won't take the risk with my 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 18:43

It is very much personal choice but i just couldn't take the risk of vaccinating

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Mon Jul 30 2012, 19:24

ella wrote:It is very much personal choice but i just couldn't take the risk of vaccinating

Just curious, what risk are you talking about?
munschk
munschk

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Mon Jul 30 2012, 19:56

I only had my gsds vaccinated as pups and they lived till 12 and 11
Skye and buster have had their puppy jabs and I will poss get them done at 3 years
All a case of personal choice but if they were to go into kennels they would be done also if we were to travel abroad
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 30 2012, 20:00

I made a post about this earlier you may want to read the link below.

This was covered by a letter in Your Dog magazine, August edition, letters page 29-30 Education, Education

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t21965-your-dog-magazine
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 20:56

Kev13 wrote:The previous owners said they had her vaccinated as a pup and once since then, although i have no proof of this i assume it to be true.

so my question is do you think annual boosters are nessesary?

Firstly, you should not assume that they told the truth about the vaccinations.

My own vets advise puppy vaccinations followed by the 1st year's booster. Then they recommend boosters every three years, or a titer test every three years to determine the levels of antibodies, unless there is a known increase is any the the booster diseases in your area, when they will advise vaccination for that one only. The head honcho at my vets thinks that we over-vaccinate our pets (especially dogs) which can lead to a decrease in immunity and sometimes vaccine allergies.

Dempset had his puppy jabs & 1st year booster. He's had nothing sonce & won't have any more done until at least next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 21:48

Boosters really do come down to personal preferance.I do get cairo a booster every year because there was a huge increase of parvo in the area.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 22:14

munschk wrote:
ella wrote:It is very much personal choice but i just couldn't take the risk of vaccinating

Just curious, what risk are you talking about?

Risks of allergic reactions, causes of certain cancers, not working, vaccinations cause death in small number of dogs, affecting immune system, dogs have lost the use of their legs....................

There are many cases of all these happening and many more, you only have to research into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 22:20

Lisa & Cairo wrote:Boosters really do come down to personal preferance.I do get cairo a booster every year because there was a huge increase of parvo in the area.

In a case like that, my vet would advise the parvo vaccine only & leave the others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev13 Tue Jul 31 2012, 00:57

*Lynne* wrote: Did you not receive any records? Vets do issue certificates when you vaccinate.

No,unfortunatly i got no paperwork at all when i got her. the previous owners seemed to be realy nice and obviously treated missy well. dont think they would lie about her vaccinations as they seemed to realy care for her wellbeing...
Kev13
Kev13

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev13 Tue Jul 31 2012, 01:01

[/quote]

Risks of allergic reactions, causes of certain cancers, not working, vaccinations cause death in small number of dogs, affecting immune system, dogs have lost the use of their legs....................

There are many cases of all these happening and many more, you only have to research into it.[/quote]

this is what i was worrying about :S heard alot about this and more as a result of vaccinations. Also surley when vaccinated once as a pup the anti-bodys produced should last years or there whole life.

thinking annual vaccinations are a bit of a con thinking

Kev13
Kev13

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31 2012, 01:09

Yep it's a bit of a con as most now recommend 3 yearly jabs anyway, but for me thats still to often, i choose not to give anymore after first year booster as most dogs then have all the antibodies they need from them

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev13 Tue Jul 31 2012, 01:12

because i am not 100% unsure she has been vaccinated in the past think i will get her boosters done in Febuary then no more after that.
Kev13
Kev13

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev13 Tue Jul 31 2012, 01:17

Dave wrote:Is it not a requirement for Insurance in the UK , not sure but certainly anything caught as a result of not having the jabs would not be covered, personally I won't take the risk with my 2

this is another concern. The petplan i am applying for requires her to be fully vaccinated :S
Kev13
Kev13

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31 2012, 01:26

Same. I got them this year though due to there being actual cases of parvo in the town.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31 2012, 08:47

Until I joined the forum, I would have blindly done whatever the vet told me to do. My vet isn't happy about not getting annual boosters, but I think that's more to do with money than anything else. Once every 3 years is enough for me and Charlie. After 2 or 3 shots as a small pup, that should be enough to keep them going for 3 years IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Tue Jul 31 2012, 10:28

I don't know where my insurance company stands on vaccinations but I will prob get it done on the safe side unless I have it in writing otherwise.

I know a couple who's insurance company just forked out £12000 for some sort of eye operation and other bits. So although I would prefer to not get it done yearly and every 3 years, I honestly don't think I could also run the risk of facing a huge bill like that with no way to pay it if my insurance company wriggle out of it.
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31 2012, 13:08

Kev13 wrote:
Dave wrote:Is it not a requirement for Insurance in the UK , not sure but certainly anything caught as a result of not having the jabs would not be covered, personally I won't take the risk with my 2

this is another concern. The petplan i am applying for requires her to be fully vaccinated :S

My insurance states that Dempsey must be vaccinated according to the vet's recommendations. My vet recommends every 3 years, so that's fine by them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31 2012, 14:18

I don't vaccinate and I still have both boys insured I'm just not covered if they get something which you would vac against which is fine by me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31 2012, 19:18

Lisa & Cairo wrote:Boosters really do come down to personal preferance.I do get cairo a booster every year because there was a huge increase of parvo in the area.

Kodi had an extra parvo at 16weeks ontop of the normal puppy set as there is a high parvo rate around here, so I will prob keep that up yearly

Maz had the usual puppy jabs, a booster for 2yrs then had nothing for 3years when she had another dose of puppy jabs then again nothing until she was 9yrs when I had NO option as she had to go into kennels, shes had none since

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Sat Aug 04 2012, 23:15

I was just about to post about this topic! I was getting Lola's microchip nmber or pet insurance and I saw she was supposed to have her jabs in Feb passed but I thought they were to get done this october and I was wondering whether it was worth it!!
She'll be 2 on October 25th.
No major health problems, on steriods for grass allergy/nibbling feet but apart from that healthy Smile
Might get her booked in as she is with a lot of other dogs daily at Doggy Day Care...
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05 2012, 00:10

If your dog is around a lot of others in a daycare or kennel then kennel cough and vacc are usually a requirement anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down