Weight and feeding questions...

Go down

Weight and feeding questions... Empty Weight and feeding questions...

Post by Pebbles Thu Oct 31 2013, 16:12

Pebbles was at her monthly puppy check at the vet yesterday who wormed her and weighed her. She is 17 weeks and the scale said she is 8.6 kilos. Vet said she was fine... but as i told her that she poops (large ones) 4 or 5 times a day and seems constantly hungry, she told me to change her food back to Royal Canin. Straight Face 
Pebbles is now on Arden Grange and her poos are better formed and with less wind. She had really soft motions and lots of wind while on Royal Canin.

I don't really want to change her back to Royal Canin. I thought Arden Grange was also a good food but vet didn't recommend it. Anyone got any views on the two foods?

Also vet said a medium breed pup at 16-17 weeks is about half the weight they will be as adults. So that means that Pebbles should be about 16-17 kilos as an adult. Isn't that a lot for a female staffy? Her dam was the short and stocky type. And the same for her sire.

The thing is she is always hungry and has been that way since we got her. She almost 'inhale' her food in less than 10 seconds! She has 70 grs /3 times a day plus a few treats during training and a dentastix before bedtime. Got her slow feed dog bowl but she still eat the lot in less than a minute. And then spends her time searching the floor for food crumbs. When i cook she is always there in my feet in case i drop something. She acts as if she doesn't get fed! Big Grin 

Are all staffs pups greedy like this or is there something wrong with her?

Pebbles
Pebbles
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pebbles
Dog(s) Ages : 20 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Weight and feeding questions... Empty Re: Weight and feeding questions...

Post by Guest Thu Oct 31 2013, 16:18

Darcy was exactly the same as pebbles Big Grin i'd stick to arden grange if your happy with it, darcy did really well on it thumbs up a s for weight darcy is 14 months 13" to the withers and 16.2 kg and is by no means over weight, in fact she's as I like her with the last two ribs slightly visible Big Grin and no two are the same, they're all different shapes and sizes.

Last edited by Darcy-may on Thu Oct 31 2013, 16:20; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Thu Oct 31 2013, 16:20

Thanks Smile  Is Darcy still greedy now that she is older?
Pebbles
Pebbles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 31 2013, 16:22

Not as much, she eats slower, but if there's hooman food around and a chance she may get some well she's there with her bum down and paw up Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Thu Oct 31 2013, 16:26

Laughing  bless her!
When we eat Pebbles is like a hoover under the table since my daughter always manages to drop a few bits. Saves me sweeping afterwards! Wink 
Pebbles
Pebbles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 31 2013, 21:06

All dogs are different regarding food. I've had 9 dogs over the years & I can't say that any of them have been alike!

My collies would eat steadily, my sheps ranged between inhaling and just enjoying.

Bandit, my stafford, would eat a meal & then maybe not eat more than a couple of mouthfulls for the next two or three days. But he was fit & healthy & lived to a ripe old age.

Dempsey on the other hand loves food. Any food. Any time, all the time. If I'm cooking he's laying virtually on my feet, if I'm eating he's laying where he can see. When I put his food down he comes running (although he waits until I give the ok). Once I say "ok" he's at the food like it's going out of fashion & is always looking for more afterwards.

If she is lively & healthy then don't worry! She's perfectly normal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down