raw feeding some questions

2 posters

Go down

raw feeding some questions  Empty raw feeding some questions

Post by smudge95 Fri Dec 04 2015, 09:41

Hi
I have been reading various conversations on here about raw feeding, so apologies if these questions have been covered before ...I just need some guidance

1. I am feeding Nutriment complete mince to Buddy who is 9 months and weighs 17kg - I give him between 250g to 340 g a day of mince, he has been on it now for 2 weeks - if I give him treats should I decrease this amount ? and what are the best treats to give him should these be raw too like bones and chicken feet etc. or biscuits and rice bone type treats and how often?
2. I know his toilet should get less often , but I notice the timing has also changed and the result is a messy crate - how often and when should I feed him?
I have been doing three times a day small amounts or twice a day larger amounts but it seems to make no difference ..
I knew on kibble that he would go 4 hours after eating so last feed was 5 and toilet at 9 clean all night.. this does not seem to be the case now.. I let him out of the crate at 6 toilet in garden - walk him at 6.15 no toilet (used to go again on kibble) only wee - feed mince at 7.00 7.15 dependant on walk time -garden break after back in crate until 11.30 walk no toilet ( used to go when on kibble) - have tried feeding small amount of mince and no feeding back in crate at 12.45 ..out of crate at 3.30 walk toilets - fed at 5.00 toilet breaks in garden ,rarely goes ,( used to go at around 9 on kibble ) only wee, put in crate at 10-10.30 last three nights messed in crate - never done that before even as a 8 week old pup always clean at night .. is it just a timing thing how do I adjust it .. ?

3. I know I should be feeding 2-3% of his weight how often should I weigh him to make sure that is correct ?

Sorry for the long paragraph but I want to get the raw part right and am concerned about his toilet habits he isn't even asking me to go out in the night just doing it - he has always cried in his crate if he has needed to go during the night .. is it because during the day when he is in the crate I am not there so he thinks the same at night?

its just all so confusing...I have read so many conflicting pieces on feeding raw that I am starting to doubt what I am doing ...or need to do
smudge95
smudge95
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

raw feeding some questions  Empty Re: raw feeding some questions

Post by Mia05 Fri Dec 04 2015, 14:25

Sounds like he is getting too much mince perhaps a lighter meal at night hope someone comes along with a better solution / suggestion carol Smile
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Fri Dec 04 2015, 14:26

Ive moved this as someone with better knowledge will help you https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f125-staffordshire-bull-terrier-raw-food-diets
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 04 2015, 16:54

Can I be honest, Carol? I think you're over-worrying and trying to be too scientific about it.

I'd roughly know what I feed each one if I sat down and worked it out. 2 454g bags between the three of them each meal unless they've got something like trotters or whole fish, Chaos gets nearly a whole bag each meal, and the divvy between the girls is Millie 2/3 and Nola a third. Nola, though, is much the biggest dog, it's just that she doesn't need as much, partly breed, partly age, partly energy expenditure. Millie gets a huge amount for her size, but that's what keeps her weight steady, and that's ultimately what I'm after.

That's then to say that you need to adjust the feeding level of each dog according to their need, not according to a formula. You should be able to feel easily but not see a dog's ribs. If he's too well covered, then cut back. If he starts to lose weight but doesn't need to, then up it.

That holds true of treats as well. Yes, they are part of the daily ration and you should take them into account when you're assessing what they get, both content and volume. I don't consider bones as treats, they are in essential part of the raw diet. How much they add to a daily ration depends on the bones - they had duck carcass this morning and duck can be quite fatty, so their meat ration this evening is leaner (beef and kidney).

It's all about balance, and finding what that balance is for Buddy.

As I said in another post, I would be surprised if the housetraining issues you've got at the moment are diet related. They can be but it's more commonly just a phase they pass through. It could also be a rebellion against the crate - I know you believe in them and you know I don't but either way that really is a lot of time he's spending in there. He may just be feeling as he gets older that he can express himself more, and this is how he's doing it.

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Sat Dec 05 2015, 10:22

hi Liz - I just don't know - I do know they can go backwards with training - but this seems like he just needs to keep going to the toilet - yesterday I fed him at 7.00 came him at 10.30 - he had messed the crate - didn't feed him lunchtime put him back in at 14 came home at 3 walked him and he did a small toilet .. fed him at 5 walked again at 8 small toilet put out in garden at 10.30 wee only - heard him at 2.30 let him out he went toilet - got up at 5 he went again in the garden and had also messed the crate - 3 times to toilet in under 3 hours , this morning fed at 7 had to let him in garden at 10.00 .. I thought their toilet was supposed to get less - the guy at nutriment said he was messing because I wasn't feeding enough and he was over digesting his food to get nutrients..other people have said nutriment is too heavy for him and to cut it down .. I am just going round in circles - I just think he is going toilet too often...doesn't help he wont eat from a bowl either as you can guess getting totally fed up with it all now..just want it all to go back to how it was a few months ago...
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down