Neutering?

3 posters

Go down

Neutering? Empty Neutering?

Post by Otissmummy Thu Apr 18 2013, 22:53

Hi guys

I dunno if this topic has been done to death or not but do you neuter your dogs? If they are neutered what age did you get them done?
I'm still undecided I'm all for preventing unwanted puppies and don't want any accidents but I'm very vigilant when Otis is off lead and playing with other dogs. I love his personality as his and don't want to change him.

Thanks in advance uys I know I will get a lot of good debate and opinions on this subject x
Otissmummy
Otissmummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Neutering? Empty Re: Neutering?

Post by janey Thu Apr 18 2013, 22:59

Otissmummy wrote:

Thanks in advance uys I know I will get a lot of good debate and opinions on this subject x

Yes it has been discussed!

Some totally against, some for, most say wait until matured, some do it earlier. Totally your choice Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18 2013, 23:00

There are pros on cons to neutering, have a good read of this:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12763-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs

I've decided I'm not going to neuter Loki based on what I read, but if I did, I'd wait until he was about two years old so he's physically and mentally mature. It's a personal decision, but as long as you know both sides to the story before you make your choice, that's the most important thing Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18 2013, 23:43

I agree.. It is a personal choice and you just need to get as much information as possible and make an informed decision Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 00:01

Yep, totally personal choice and no right or wrong answer.

I have had female dogs spayed before but would never have a male dog neutered for any other reason than if his health required it.

It won't calm him down or help that way at all, and if you are as responsible as possible with him there is no real reason to do it. If you choose too however, wait until he is at least 18-24 months minimum, so he has a chance to fully mature. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 07:43

Can't add anymore than what's already been said, except, best to do your homework, read all the fors & against & make an informed decision thumbs up totally your personal choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 09:54

Darcy-may wrote:Can't add anymore than what's already been said, except, best to do your homework, read all the fors & against & make an informed decision thumbs up totally your personal choice.

I got my girls spayed at 6 months because I thought I was doing the right thing, with hindsight I would have waited until they were mature Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 10:40

I don't neuter my dogs at all (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!), but I've nothing against others doing it. All I would recommend is that you wait for full maturity, both mental and physical, to avoid problems with growth and mental maturity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 14:00

Another who doesn't neuter here Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otissmummy Fri Apr 19 2013, 18:03

Thanks guys for your inputs. I had originally booked him in to get him done around the 7 month mark as that's when I had had previous cats done and also cause the vet had mentioned it to me for Otis however after having a look online and speaking to other dog owners I cancelled the op but dreading going back to the vets now and maybe having to justify my reasons for not doing it. I don't want my vet to think I'm being irresponsible but I don't want to put Otis through major surgery for no real health reason. As someone said above if its no broke why fix it.

X
Otissmummy
Otissmummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 19:14

I wouldnt worry what the vet says, stuff them Smile
Tbh i wish i hadnt got Alfie nuetered but I had to as he another problem which it may help with, but it hasnt affected his behaviour at all, hes always been a little * Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 19:36

Otissmummy wrote:Thanks guys for your inputs. I had originally booked him in to get him done around the 7 month mark as that's when I had had previous cats done and also cause the vet had mentioned it to me for Otis however after having a look online and speaking to other dog owners I cancelled the op but dreading going back to the vets now and maybe having to justify my reasons for not doing it. I don't want my vet to think I'm being irresponsible but I don't want to put Otis through major surgery for no real health reason. As someone said above if its no broke why fix it.

X

Don't worry, if you want to explain it, just say you've looked up the pros and cons and have decided against it although you're not breeding him. Or don't say anything, it's not their choice, it's yours Smile

Ellie wrote:I wouldnt worry what the vet says, stuff them Smile
Tbh i wish i hadnt got Alfie nuetered but I had to as he another problem which it may help with, but it hasnt affected his behaviour at all, hes always been a little * Laughing

Don't be mean, Ellie, Alfie's eyes are too adorable for you to ever say a bad word about him. Take it back and give him a treat for being mean to poor Alfie Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 20:37

Otissmummy wrote:I cancelled the op but dreading going back to the vets now and maybe having to justify my reasons for not doing it. I don't want my vet to think I'm being irresponsible but I don't want to put Otis through major surgery for no real health reason. As someone said above if its no broke why fix it.

X

You don't need to justify yourself! If they ask, just say you didn't think it was the right time & you're still considering it.

If they are a decent vet they'll leave it at that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 20:50

I've just looked at the pros and cons of neutering and spaying (I didn't read anything else since I'm on my phone) but does spaying them before they're mature stop their growth? I've heard so many people say it does and doesn't! Ebony was spayed early since she's a rescue and was spayed before she came in but she's definitely grown and is growing so I'm not sure!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Apr 19 2013, 20:58

CodlingKid wrote:I've just looked at the pros and cons of neutering and spaying (I didn't read anything else since I'm on my phone) but does spaying them before they're mature stop their growth? I've heard so many people say it does and doesn't! Ebony was spayed early since she's a rescue and was spayed before she came in but she's definitely grown and is growing so I'm not sure!

Depends on who you listen too or what you read Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 21:05

CodlingKid wrote:I've just looked at the pros and cons of neutering and spaying (I didn't read anything else since I'm on my phone) but does spaying them before they're mature stop their growth? I've

Not exactly.

Neutering early delays the closure of the growth plates, so they will grow taller & be narrower than theey would otherwise have been.

However, a bitch that is spayed before a first season might not develop properly in the genital area. Her vulva might remain small & might not be able to cope with the amount of urine passed as an adult. This can result in urinary burn, and could mean that you have to clean her vulva two or three times a day for life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 21:12

Ahh thank you for the great info Caryll! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Fri Apr 19 2013, 21:48

Ill be honest...i hate that article by laura j sandbourn... Its not her research and she has just cherry picked from the work of others. So in its best form its just an interpritation of other peoples work and isnt even peer reviewed so has no scientific standing. It should not be taken as gospel and nothing other than one persons view on the subject.
Having said that a few points are valid imo. Growth plates and nuetering too early, proven as is chance of having a dog that behaves like a puppy all its life. The debate is a raging one but if i was to give advice it would be male, 1 year + and female measured in seasons at 2 seasons. If male and nervouse dont bother youll more likley make things worse. And never ever think it will cure humping...it wont...ever. Best advice i can give is open your mind and spend a couple of months researching and then make your mind up.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Otissmummy Sat Apr 20 2013, 09:37

Thanks guys you've put my mind at ease...I'm at vets on Monday for Otis weight check and worming and flea treatment and was dreading the question coming up about neutering but you guys as always have been so helpful and I can now go on Monday and if it comes up I wil know how to respond so thankyou and thankyou from Otis who gets to keep his big boy bits lol :-)
Otissmummy
Otissmummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down